SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

+26
MARTIN98
40oz
siroshe
SORDave
daniel2221
SpideyKeiiti
oracle
E253MechaShadow
Red Jack
Queenie89
William Assunção
Xillatem
NeoVamp
Shyning77
Charco
cabo-hicks
klares
Criss
SoRFanatic
Don Vecta
BigDarsh
iceweb38
badjab326
Mr.Din
JoyJoyfulRabbit
Saven
30 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Empty Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  badjab326 Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:56 am

Elaborating on my fb comment, I think 480x272 would be more practical as long as you extend the buildings instead of the floor pattern. Mostly because the 3 players will have more room anyway since the screen is wider so you don't have to worry about that, but also from a design standpoint when you have a repeating floor pattern like that if it gets too large I start to see it as a totally 2D piece as opposed to the 2.5D we're supposed to see with games like this.

In order to get the extended floor pattern to look good you'd have to abuse the hell out of foreground objects, and that will get noticeable after a while too.

Although I'm fine with native, I think the higher res will work better for gameplay and compatibility.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Empty Re: SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work

Post  Mr.Din Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:11 am

badjab326 wrote:Elaborating on my fb comment, I think 480x272 would be more practical as long as you extend the buildings instead of the floor pattern. Mostly because the 3 players will have more room anyway since the screen is wider so you don't have to worry about that, but also from a design standpoint when you have a repeating floor pattern like that if it gets too large I start to see it as a totally 2D piece as opposed to the 2.5D we're supposed to see with games like this.

In order to get the extended floor pattern to look good you'd have to abuse the hell out of foreground objects, and that will get noticeable after a while too.

Although I'm fine with native, I think the higher res will work better for gameplay and compatibility.
Yeah this was my reasoning for considering the resolution initially was giving players breathing room. As for the floor I do plan to redesign it not to be so same-y adding sidewalk, pattern change etc but I see what you mean here, the res bump mock up was a rush job I'll put together another one with an extended building instead as you suggested.
Edit: Here's a better version.
SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Mockup480x272_by_dintheabary-d8ivr2o

Forum Elder

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Post  badjab326 Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:07 am

Yeah I like this a lot better, now you can fit a lot more enemies on the screen, you have more room for lifebars and plenty of space to scatter items about, and most importantly it doesn't look or feel weird. The extended x-axis totally makes up for the small y-axis.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:42 am

badjab326 wrote:Yeah I like this a lot better, now you can fit a lot more enemies on the screen, you have more room for lifebars and plenty of space to scatter items about, and most importantly it doesn't look or feel weird. The extended x-axis totally makes up for the small y-axis.
I guess the best part is the 104 pixel life bars for more accuracy and less conversion heh heh

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 am

Mr.Din wrote:SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Mockup10
320x240
SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Mockup11
480x272

Can't seem to get the latter to work atm but what do you think? I prefer native settings.

Native

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 am

Don Vecta wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Mockup10
320x240
SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Mockup11
480x272

Can't seem to get the latter to work atm but what do you think? I prefer native settings.

Native
I'd be interested in the reasoning, as I'm still a little towards native myself though so far the upped resolution has been the vote for the majority.
SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Mockup480x272_by_dintheabary-d8ivr2o
would this middle ground be more reasonable? reposted in case you didn't see it above I know the first mock up was pretty rough.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Shyning77 Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Mr.Din wrote:
iceweb38 wrote:Speaking of promising, anyone heard anything about Rage of the Streets lately? The sampler Moe posted was most delicious but it's been years now.
Last I talked to christuserloeser he said he was working on a streets of rage project but not rage of the streets.
Last time I contributed with him on updating Rage of the Streets was a long time ago, before the release of SORR v4 IIRC. I think he became quite lazy and tired of being quite alone in charge of the project, while SORR had many contributors and was more promising. He once told me that if I could contribute again, that could help him find some motivation to work on Rage of the Streets again, but that was a few years ago, so I guess Rage of the Streets won't get any further than v1.2.

SorR Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Shyning77 wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:
iceweb38 wrote:Speaking of promising, anyone heard anything about Rage of the Streets lately? The sampler Moe posted was most delicious but it's been years now.
Last I talked to christuserloeser he said he was working on a streets of rage project but not rage of the streets.
Last time I contributed with him on updating Rage of the Streets was a long time ago, before the release of SORR v4 IIRC. I think he became quite lazy and tired of being quite alone in charge of the project, while SORR had many contributors and was more promising. He once told me that if I could contribute again, that could help him find some motivation to work on Rage of the Streets again, but that was a few years ago, so I guess Rage of the Streets won't get any further than v1.2.
Well I offered my help many times which ultimately led to my current project given he never really responded too much after a few replies, I just figured he was quite busy. He didn't really give much detail in what direction he wanted to go with the project. I'm not too big of a fan of contributing too something I don't really have much info on when it comes to doing graphics.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Shyning77 Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Mr.Din wrote:I'm not too big of a fan of contributing too something I don't really have much info on when it comes to doing graphics.
I can understand that perfectly. In the specific case of the development of SORR, the lack of details about the story (and the complete lack of a story at all at some point) has always been an issue for those who were supposed to create graphics for the ingame cutscenes, intro and endings.

SorR Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:33 am

Shyning77 wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:I'm not too big of a fan of contributing too something I don't really have much info on when it comes to doing graphics.
I can understand that perfectly. In the specific case of the development of SORR, the lack of details about the story (and the complete lack of a story at all at some point) has always been an issue for those who were supposed to create graphics for the ingame cutscenes, intro and endings.
SoRR was definitely a special case though, very rare does a project derived from one person get off the ground let alone finished. It's usually better to have a team in the beginning but I agree, gotta have some sort of gameplan when it comes to parts of the project being handed off to someone.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Criss Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:12 am

SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Tumblr_nmg5rdyuBc1unvmkio1_1280
Criss
Criss
SorR Contributor

Teramussa likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Nice! Smile
Saven
Saven

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:39 am

Criss wrote:SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Tumblr_nmg5rdyuBc1unvmkio1_1280
While I'm not a gta fan, this is some damn quality spritesmanship you got here good sir.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  JoyJoyfulRabbit Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Criss wrote:SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Tumblr_nmg5rdyuBc1unvmkio1_1280

Micheal's looks like Shyning77 Very Happy
JoyJoyfulRabbit
JoyJoyfulRabbit
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Shyning77 Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 pm

JoyJoyfulRabbit wrote:Micheal's looks like Shyning77 Very Happy
Laughing Well, it's only with SOR pixel art that you can see a similarity, because IRL, I look nothing like him Laughing Hard

SorR Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:15 pm

I love you.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  NeoVamp Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Don Vecta wrote:I love you.

SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Giphy
NeoVamp
NeoVamp
Forum Elder

Rain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Thu May 07, 2015 10:11 pm

SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Fix_by_dintheabary-d8sikbw
I liked the taller look but I wanted to give him a fuller stance. I think the stance is a bit boring though thinking of something a little more flashy I mean he is (or was) a pro wrestler right?

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven Fri May 08, 2015 4:10 am

Looks a lot better. The other one had legs that were a bit too long for him and made him look a little lanky. Laughing

I think the stance is fine, but he could crouch over a little bit and it would give off more of a wrestling stance than a normal fighting one.
Saven
Saven

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Fri May 08, 2015 4:53 am

Saven wrote:Looks a lot better. The other one had legs that were a bit too long for him and made him look a little lanky. Laughing

I think the stance is fine, but he could crouch over a little bit and it would give off more of a wrestling stance than a normal fighting one.
You know I was wondering if his legs were too long, Lanky is a good way to describe it haha. I'll definitely take the crouching over into account, I want to give him some more personality much like I did with Adam's stance.

Added his other design.
SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Max_by_dintheabary-d8sk5s5

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Tue May 12, 2015 8:57 pm

SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Kung_fu_goons_by_dintheabary-d8t4ntl
more goon goodness, this one didn't take as long as I thought it would when I buckled down. I'm thinking of doing this guy next:
SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 B1scre5_by_dintheabary-d8t4pmi
Any ideas?

Last edited by Mr.Din on Wed May 13, 2015 8:28 pm; edited 4 times in total

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  SoRFanatic Wed May 13, 2015 1:40 am

Which guy?

SoRFanatic
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Wed May 13, 2015 3:37 am

SoRFanatic wrote:Which guy?
The only other guy than Hakuyo of course Razz mr.beta thug guy. I'm thinking of giving him a fresh new moveset, involving knives.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Wed May 13, 2015 11:23 am

Mr.Din wrote:SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Hakuyopal_by_dintheabary-d8t4ntl
more goon goodness, this one didn't take as long as I thought it would when I buckled down. I'm thinking of doing this guy next:
SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 B1scre5_by_dintheabary-d8t4pmi
Any ideas?

Sweet~! Those Hakus look really good! I see some Lau Chan/Lee Pai Long inspiration in some of the alt outfits! You still could play a bit on the hairstyles like you did on old headswaps, though, like having a full slick back hairstyle, a ponytail, a braid or even a queue braided style, hehe. Razz

Would you there to go further into a full bald monk style in one of them? Twisted Evil

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Wed May 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Don Vecta wrote:
Mr.Din wrote:SOR Sprite Edits, Fake Screens, & Original Work - Page 4 Hakuyopal_by_dintheabary-d8t4ntl
Any ideas?

Sweet~! Those Hakus look really good! I see some Lau Chan/Lee Pai Long inspiration in some of the alt outfits! You still could play a bit on the hairstyles like you did on old headswaps, though, like having a full slick back hairstyle, a ponytail, a braid or even a queue braided style, hehe. Razz

Would you there to go further into a full bald monk style in one of them? Twisted Evil
Well I try to do at least 3 variations for this reason alone so we shall see what comes up next! I haven't touched on Hakuyo 2 or the Dragons yet either so plenty of room for getting the creative juices flowing. Very Happy

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next