SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streets of Rage 4

+42
SpideyKeiiti
SORDave
deisha_max
E253MechaShadow
ArcadeTheHedgehog
Winged Cat
Light82
bareknuckleroo
Xillatem
Jericho_mpm
Gold Katana
Pulstar
RuffNTumble
Slaw
El Gambito
Waruiva
Shadow Fist King
Don Vecta
Late goodbye
Feanor
Kimono
oracle
JoyJoyfulRabbit
graylandertagger
SoRFanatic
retroguy
Queenie89
RADRaze2KX
thenomad
Security
vince
cabo-hicks
Laucorn
Cosmo
Maria Lourenço
Mr.Din
AdamHunter
Saven
Rockmanxx
DamianD
Charco
Lithium Flower
46 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Streets of Rage 4 - Page 10 Empty Re: Streets of Rage 4

Post  thenomad Tue May 05, 2020 7:59 am

Saven wrote:
- I will give credit to mostly getting the feel of SOR(2) down. I was playing SOR2 prior to it, and it felt like I was just picking it right back up. This, to me, was the most important part of a SOR game and I'm glad this was the area they focused on the most.

I would agree on this one, problem is, SoR 2 gameplay it's not ideal for SoR 4 enemies. They're too agile for SoR 2 speed. But even playing with SoR 3 characters on SoR 4, still, the enemies are cheap. Easy difficult, with SoR 3 Blaze, I still had my a** kicked, in some boss fights like against Barbon. The ony thing is that, on Easy, you have so much lifes that doesn't matter if you loose 2, 3 lifes in a middle game boss, you still progress to the next round. But I don't think this is good game design at all.
thenomad
thenomad
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Tue May 05, 2020 11:59 am

I finally beat the game. Felt mostly like a drag. Beating the fangame was being excited at each and every moment of it, instead. Feels boring to keep playing and there are no alternative, branching paths, either.

Story is as stupid as it could get (or even more), making the Sor3 western conversion look like nice, compared to that one. Even city bombing and police chief abducted, instead of mass destruction and general kidnapped, was way less ridiculous, than "brainwashing music" (wtf?).

Mr.X would probably feel ashamed for his offspring, as well. The boy cannot retaliate with dangerous physical moves like him, leaving him wide open for combos. Bullets seem like cheap plastic kid toys, instead of the good old stylish tommy gun barrage, too.

Ms. Y? Okay, i accept that as some form of "compensation". Since Blaze's flashing wasn't included, somebody had to... Thankfully, there is some lucky nice view, in that game. I didn't see it coming, but there it is! But other than eye-candy, fighting-wise is completely incompetent.

Combat wise, i downright hate the game. Remake is undisputed champion, over this trash. Many players report various and valid points, all of them good, on the mark. Thankfully, retro characters can be unlocked. 3's can run and Axel from 1 was the only reason i managed to beat the final stage; adam kept dying like a dog, in there and his reach to enemy hitboxes didn't cut it (don't know why).
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Jericho_mpm Tue May 05, 2020 9:39 pm

Jericho_mpm
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Wed May 06, 2020 12:48 pm

thenomad wrote:
Saven wrote:
- I will give credit to mostly getting the feel of SOR(2) down. I was playing SOR2 prior to it, and it felt like I was just picking it right back up. This, to me, was the most important part of a SOR game and I'm glad this was the area they focused on the most.

I would agree on this one, problem is, SoR 2 gameplay it's not ideal for SoR 4 enemies. They're too agile for SoR 2 speed. But even playing with SoR 3 characters on SoR 4, still, the enemies are cheap. Easy difficult, with SoR 3 Blaze, I still had my a** kicked, in some boss fights like against Barbon. The ony thing is that, on Easy, you have so much lifes that doesn't matter if you loose 2, 3 lifes in a middle game boss, you still progress to the next round. But I don't think this is good game design at all.

As far as I can tell, SOR3 Blaze simply sucks, my first test with her went quickly sour.
However, SOR3 Axel and most particularly Zan were good.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jericho_mpm Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Ok i kinda got 1 in my head too explain it in the right terms.

Now 4-5 days have past and people are rinsing the game hard and finding routes how too defeat characters and stuff and too be honest that's makes the game even more rubbish then i had too expect.

For me i'm a pro player but i'm talking on the terms of a new / casual or average person who just wants too play games. i gave my girlfriend streets of rage 1,2,3 & Remake too play and said too her you play them and do whatever you want and set it on easy cos she don't know about games and came close too finishing it level 8 not that far from Mr X and she said she enjoyed it once she reached stage she had an idea of when too move and attack and stuff like that calling the car for help.

Now i gave her Streets of rage 4 straight out the gate she's like wow they hit so quick and send you too the other side of the screen.

Lots of characters ganging up on you at the same time it's pretty tough.

This 1st boss character coming at you with 3-4-5 characters then another wave of characters

So she got too level 4 and was confused with the characters styles of attacks so i said too her watch this video this is how certain things are done.

Wow this looks pretty hard and she asked me a simple question is there any easier way too this game & i thought about for a moment and i said no there ain't.

And that's why i have too say this game is rubbish cos if you play something like Boss rush there's only a certain route you can play and finish it.

If you don't know a certain way of defeating a boss character just say example the commissioner on stage 2 is a totally wild boss for people who don't understand patterns and just wants too play, considering he does armor with 3 punches runs in many different angles and just grabs the S*** out of you and slams you left right and centre.

At least in 1,2,3,Remake you can just fight head on for new player and just attack with everything they can think off even if they lose energy or lives at least they made it or at least had a good fight even if they lost.

In her own words.

I prefer part Remake cos i could run and could kinda evade things for a little bit and not be in as much danger, i only had a few hrs too do editing and made a stage of my own and was fun too do

Part 3 - Same reasons for Remake.

Part 1 - Was easier for me too get into not complicated just 3 buttons.

Part 2 - looks better then 1 but it's a longer game too play kinda got tired.

Part 4 - I didn't get anywhere i tried 4 times reached Stage 7 at my best but it's seems really hard for a game on normal i ain't a Street of rage expert i feel bad for people who are on my level or lower it's really tough and when i asked how many stages i was told there's 12 stage i kinda gave up when i heard that...

That's in her own words someone who's never played Streets of rage in her life just watched it tried them for 5 days....

Jericho_mpm
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Jericho_mpm Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm

iceweb38 wrote:
As far as I can tell, SOR3 Blaze simply sucks, my first test with her went quickly sour.

Stage 2 she's very good at dealing with the riot shield cops with (Run Run punch) put it too the test and try it out

Jericho_mpm
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Wed May 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Even the extra modes require a very specific approach. Arcade mode prevents you from getting extra lives out of score even though it disables continues and boss rush is garbage. In SORR i 've beaten with gold medal all boss rush challenges, even the final one that brings all bosses together in a very long session (i am by no means stranger to patterns), but Sor4 handed my _ss to me. It's not about bosses/enemies having patterns, but the player being required to use extremely limited, very correctly timed, too niche pattern of response to each one of them.

And something about damage intake/damage dealing is off. It's not as set, standard or refined, like in previous SOR titles, even the fangame. Even the retro bosses. I remember Abadede dealing way more damage and being able to withstand just a bit more punishment, especially when you play as 1 Blaze. Or playable/hostile Max. Also, police call from 1 unlocked characters doesn't deal damage to enemies like back then, but the latter have to be within the blast area, it is aoe and it can completely misfire.
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Jericho_mpm Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Security wrote:police call from 1 unlocked characters doesn't deal damage to enemies like back then, but the latter have to be within the blast area, it is aoe and it can completely misfire.

Bare in mind they do more damage on counters and have wake ups a little slower then everyone else so they free from start attacks + They have the longest range start ups which kinda makes them fair

Jericho_mpm
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Thu May 07, 2020 1:28 pm

Jericho_mpm wrote:
iceweb38 wrote:

Stage 2 she's very good at dealing with the riot shield cops with (Run Run punch) put it too the test and try it out

I see. I'll have to give a try then.

Europe will also have 2 physical versions of SOR4 distributed by Signature Editions. The standard edition and the Signature Edition.
Preorders are opened today for PS4, Xbox One and Switch :

https://signatureeditiongames.com/collections/xbox-one-games/products/streets-of-rage-4-signature-edition-xbox-one?variant=31683059515456

Streets of Rage 4 - Page 10 Streets-of-rage-4-collector

Another important update : LRG and DotEmu are gonna provide every Limited Edition buyers a Steam key to play the game.
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1258086697084076034

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thenomad Thu May 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Ok, because I'm very stupid, I reinstalled the game. I did this because at least, I wanted to do the xbox Achievements. Finished the game like 10 times right now. I started to get used to all the cheap stuff, and now the game is more bearable to me. Don't get me wrong, I still believe all those problems detract from the game, and make it a non worthy of the series name. But at least, my ass stoped to be kicked so frequently. I still take cheap shots everywhere, but not enough to make finishing a level at risk. At least up to Hard difficult. Hardest and Mania is a no no. I did only 1 mania Stage for an achievement, and I saw it's a very angry inducing. Plus, you MUST left your pride aside. I was extremely angry when I died all my lifes on the first run (normal difficult), and the game offered an "assistance". I hate when the game f*ck me hard, and throw at my face: "look, you suck, so here, take this help because you suck very hard". If I'm already angry, this offense makes me want to crash everything in my room. So, I gave up of my pride, and started to play on easy for every character complete run of the game (there's achievements for finishing with each new character), after I finished those runs, I started to only use classic characters (they're extremely better), if I needed, I took the help of extra lifes after failing a stage, and never played above hard difficult, only if the achievement requires. With my pride of long time SoR veteran basically dead, I managed to find some fun time with the game.

Simply put, it's a SoR game for anyone that doesn't care/know the original games, because it plays and demand from the player, abilities that the original trilogy doesn't ask.

PS: But the graphics and songs still sucks. For me, soundtrack for SoR 1 still the king, SoR 2 is second (but much lower than SoR 1, SoR 2 was my first dissapointment with SoR games soundtrack), in third SoR 4, and last SoR 3 (I thing SoR 3 is one of the worst soundtracks not only in the series, but in the whole history of video games).
thenomad
thenomad
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Streets of Rage 4 - Page 10 Empty Streets of Rage 4 Modding

Post  Waruiva Thu May 07, 2020 2:10 pm

I started replacing textures in the game using a program called SOR4Explorer.
Waruiva
Waruiva
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  JoyJoyfulRabbit Thu May 07, 2020 9:35 pm

*look at Shiva's SOR4 storyline from Wikia"

I guess he's already became "ally" to heroes from BK3 then. Who's Mr X's wife? >_> Mrs... Z?

Also cops reminded me of cops from Streets of Rage comic

SOR4 unused 2 playable characters

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/streetsofrage/images/5/5b/SOR4_Unused_Female_Player.png/revision/latest?cb=20200507055127

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/streetsofrage/images/5/5e/SOR4_Unused_Male_Player.png/revision/latest?cb=20200507055156

Edit: names of cops... ruined my life... they turned old man cop into bad guy...
JoyJoyfulRabbit
JoyJoyfulRabbit
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  DamianD Thu May 07, 2020 10:21 pm

So cool to see texturing editing for Pc version finally exactly why I got steam version. Also I got that Special edition from Europe for Xbox I wanted that headband lol plan on getting BK IV special edition for Switch at some point I couldn't pass up finding an actual physical for xbox.

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Sat May 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Security wrote:If somebody would do the same with Mr.X, that would be a deal maker, at least for me!

A matter of time! Razz here is SOR4 Shiva:

oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Sat May 09, 2020 7:20 pm

oracle wrote:
Security wrote:If somebody would do the same with Mr.X, that would be a deal maker, at least for me!

A matter of time! Razz here is SOR4 Shiva:

Nice! Shiva had always been one of my favs!
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Sat May 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Security wrote:And they discriminated again against Ash and Roo...

Roo and (probably Ash) sprites are included with the game, but someone will need to add the missing battle data so they can be playable or used as enemies.

oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  JoyJoyfulRabbit Sun May 10, 2020 9:31 pm

also for Commissioner... I thought he can't fig... I mean fight like Commissioner from Batman >_> I think too much about his appearance....
JoyJoyfulRabbit
JoyJoyfulRabbit
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  bareknuckleroo Mon May 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Streets of Rage Remake was basically the best of all the first three games in one package. It's more fun in general when the game's difficulty comes not from a lack of mobility or movement options but rather a question of execution. The ability to run and roll means you have lots of mobility, but it's down to your player skill in inputs to truly take advantage of it. Limiting player movement to make movement stiff is something that works for survival horror games to add an element of fear, but SoR3 brought the game into the same realm of mobility as many classic Capcom arcade beat 'em ups like Battle Circuit and Dungeons & Dragons with multidirectional dashing. Being able to play SoR1 and SoR2's routes with their music and aesthetic, with updated SoR3 movement freedom and a Mania difficulty balanced around that truly is an exceptional experience.

I think why SoR4 disappoints Remake players is because it feels like it didn't learn the lessons that Remake taught us - we wanted the look and feel of SoR1 / 2 with the improved gameplay updates from SoR3. Beat 'em ups are a bit about the power fantasy of feeling strong testing your skills against hordes of enemies, and it doesn't feel as fun when you're aware of how limited your movement and abilities are as in SoR4. SoR4 really tries hard to capture the nostalgia of SoR2's stiffer movement options but then does stuff like make tons of basic enemies have armor on their diagonal attacks. If a fat guy runs past breathing fire, getting behind him and attacking won't even stun him! It's very unusual, and it really exacerbates how stiff your movement feels when enemies are running around ignoring your attacks (the jump off enemy attacks and air specials help to some extent).

The disappointing music and muddy, dark aesthetics everywhere don't help things. There's frankly nothing as memorable in SoR4 in the music as there was in the original games...

The new special mechanics wouldn't be so bad if you could reliably defensive special out of enemy combos or through armor, but SoR4 disables defensive specialing out of enemy combos for some reason! You also can't special out of enemy juggles, so you often can be forced to take way more damage than in SoR2 in a single attack. The juggling's alright, it's not as hugely focused on to the detriment of the game as I worried it might be, the hyper armor on so many enemy attacks is the real massive issue with the game to the point where it feels like an unrelated beat 'em up using a Streets of Rage license.

The retro characters are disappointing compared to how SoRR handled them. Instead of giving them full movesets by adding blitzes and specials, the SoR1 characters in particular are rather braindead and mashy to play as, instead of fully fleshed out to feel more distinct. The lack of Star blitzes or selectable blitz inputs to add variety to movesets to the cast as a whole also is a disappointment. The fact that the characters also use their old, wildly out of place pixel art, is also unusual.

I think one thing they could have done if they wanted "retro" versions of characters is add selectable specials for each character or something. Like, add a full set of animations for Skate, draw him the the actual hand drawn style, and then let him pick between Corkscrew Kick or his running offensive special, something similar to fighting games where each character has like 3 different subtypes that tweak their moves depending on selection? If they wanted to include the SoR1/2/3 characters with their original art, they had to make the rest of the game use similarly styled pixel art. That's why SoRR works; it uses the original game artwork, with some redrawn tweaks and improvements, to keep it in the same style. The SoR1/2/3 characters in SoR4 just look out of place. Fun to use, but their art clashes with the new artwork.

Nora

https://www.youtube.com/bareknuckleroo

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Mon May 11, 2020 4:35 pm

An excellent analysis. And another lesson Sor4 guys didn't learn; use ALL playable characters and all VERSIONS of them thereoff!
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  bareknuckleroo Mon May 11, 2020 4:40 pm

I'm obviously sad Roo is just reduced to a cameo in-game too, but I'm trying not to let it bias me against the game. Because the game purposefully discourages infinite poke combos by having them knock down, Roo's main strength in his back attack would be useless and he'd essentially have to have been completely retooled and had his moveset revamped to fit in as a playable character that works with a juggling system.

Nora

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Mon May 11, 2020 4:43 pm

bareknuckleroo wrote:I'm obviously sad Roo is just reduced to a cameo in-game too, but I'm trying not to let it bias me against the game.

After having played the Remake, i do. Ash. Roo. Shiva 2. Bonus entries: Electra? Mr.X?

Yeah. If a free. And a FANgame. Manage to pull that much off. A fully commercial title. Of this caliber. Magnitude. And content quantity. Is a dung ShamE! What a Face
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  bareknuckleroo Mon May 11, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm genuinely shocked they didn't use the assets in game such as Estel, or Max to make them bonus unlockables. I mean, Floyd's fine but...

And what's up with Blaze's cartoonishly high pitched voice? Compare her voice with her Bare Knuckle III voicing for Hishousouzan and Kikoushou; BKIII is way better.

Nora

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Mon May 11, 2020 5:10 pm

bareknuckleroo wrote:I'm genuinely shocked they didn't use the assets in game such as Estel, or Max to make them bonus unlockables. I mean, Floyd's fine but...

And what's up with Blaze's cartoonishly high pitched voice? Compare her voice with her Bare Knuckle III voicing for Hishousouzan and Kikoushou; BKIII is way better.
+1

But Floyd's not fine... He can't absorb damage well enough, like Max could (outside Sor4 obviously). And he doesn't have a tricky attack like ground sliding kick, or Remake's win-attack (the one performed with 2 or 3 stars).

About Blaze you 're right, but also add the "cheats" and "easter eggs" (bare knuckle 2 flash and BKIII wake up from ground thingie)!

As i said before, Sor4 doesn't hold a single candle to either old SORs, or the Remake. And there is no ally AI with "moods".
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Tue May 12, 2020 8:32 pm

I have to say that I agree with most comments here. This is why I prefer the SOR4 Retro Remake instead Cool

Streets of Rage 4 - Page 10 9bskIK4
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Tue May 12, 2020 8:37 pm

oracle wrote:I have to say that I agree with most comments here. This is why I prefer the SOR4 Retro Remake instead Cool

Streets of Rage 4 - Page 10 9bskIK4

Hey, i 'll gladly bite! What's this and where you can get it

(plus it would be just the perfect time, for a SOR4 mod in SORR-Maker or something!)
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next