SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crisis Rage WIP

+4
Saven
Shiva
Don Vecta
El Gambito
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crisis Rage WIP Empty Crisis Rage WIP

Post  El Gambito Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:04 am

Alrighty, time to share the mod I've been working for a while .w.

Did anyone ever played Crisis Beat, a 3D Beat'em up made by Bandai for the Playstation?  Dozing In case you didn't here's a gameplay vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_lB0v3ZXM0

Yeaaah the game didn't age that well but it was/is fun, silly dialogues/plot and all Razz so for nostalgia sake I decided to work on it~
Considering it's a 3D game, Im reworking the backgrounds, cutscenes, etc from scratch to 2d pixel art, me being new to this and only being able to work this over on my spare time it's quite the big and ambitious challenge, in fact Im not even sure if I'll get to finish it but I'll push this further for as long as I can :3

That said, this is what I've done so far:

Two cutscene screens - Oh yeah, about the cutscenes I didn't plan to make them fully animated, I wanted them to look rather similar to the SoR3 cutscenes with some minor but cool animations like TWEWY (The World Ends with You) on some scenes.
Crisis Rage WIP Jedit_10
Crisis Rage WIP Fdfd10

The first scene from Eiji/JJ route:
Crisis Rage WIP Ewr10

The game icon~
Crisis Rage WIP Sin_ta10

And finally two title screens I've been working on, one based on the original title screen and the other based on the game cover:
Crisis Rage WIP Crisis10
Crisis Rage WIP Title11

Here's a bigger one for that last title, still working on Mr.X head Razz
Crisis Rage WIP Crisis11

Aaand that's about it for now Razz
About the cast I was hesitating about who would represent the main characters, at first I thought SoR3 team but then I just thought of using a new cast that would fit better even if they are actually villains. (Well, two of them are villains Razz)
I chose Shiva since he is more calmed and more pro with kicks like Kenneth and Rudra being similar to JJ with both having kidnapped sisters and a long ponytail :3 (Also Axel and Rudra are like Eiji and JJ with their hair and skin color swapped so yeaaah Razz).

Oh and there's one more problem about this mod, I couldn't rip this game's music and finding the OST for this game on the internet is a vain search ;_;

Anyways! Any critique, opinion and suggestion is welcome! (I'l try my best to take it with a tiny grain of salt if is a quite harsh critique >w>'') and I'll keep this updated if something new has been done .w.b
El Gambito
El Gambito
Donovan

http://gamblinggambit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Crisis Rage WIP Empty Re: Crisis Rage WIP

Post  Don Vecta Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:31 am

Hell yeah! About time someone start doing a serious project and not one of those ugly mods with boss enemies as mooks with x9 lifebars using BOR backgrounds, lol.

Okay, adapting an existing game it's fun and interesting... but a huge labor if there's no original resources available or just recreating the whole game in a 16-bit/CPS style arcade 2D beat 'em up style. So, needless to say, I salute you from taking the effort into making a tribute mod like this.

Well, let's go with some technical advice: Measure your scenes in 64 pixels multiples long, which means 320, 384, 512, 640, etc. Why is this? 1st, to be coherent with the 16-bit format style and 2nd and the most practical reason, because every 64 pixels your scroller will occupy a grid in SORmaker, this way you can cover the whole scene without leaving empty areas.

Besides that, that boat area looks spiffy and I approve.

Keep up the good job, if you need support or assistance, feel free to check the tutorials and ask any inquiry, we'll try to hook you up.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Shiva Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:03 am

Wow, I think, it will be great mod! Waiting, good luck!

Signal

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089480096

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Looks pretty promising so far. Very Happy

One minor pet peeve I have with one of the title screens though, Mr. X doesn't have a mustache. Razz

I know he has that really dark shadow above his lips that makes it look like he does, but he doesn't have one. Smile
Saven
Saven

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Firstly thanks everyone for the support, kind words and excitement about this mod :3

@Don Vecta Alrighty, I'll keep in mind the dimentions next time I do a scene .w.b
And I'll make sure to give the difficulty scale tutorial a check, hope that turns out well  tongue  
Also likely I'll visit the map collision tutorial later, Im not sure how stages work without map collisions and seems like a must for enemies like Robo X and Jet :S

@Saven All my life was a lie! Always thought he had a mustache since SoR2 D:
But no worries! I'll have that fixed in a jiffy  Cool
El Gambito
El Gambito
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 pm

You're the guy I spoke to on Deviantart?

As I said, CrisisBeat was a fun lil game and I had the urge to do a mod based on it a while ago but later gave up and so far your work is looking really good, I love how you edited the cover to replace the characters with the SOR ones.

That's a mod I will anticipate!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Yep, Im known as Gambling Gambit in dA, I uploaded the title screen to my page the other day but yeaaah my dA is as good as dead ;w;

Good to know you're active around here, will be nice to hear tips from someone that also had the chance to play Crisis Beat .w.b
Aand if you'd like to contribute with anything at all would be very welcome Very Happy

PD: Photoshopping the title was quite more troublesome than redraw some of the characters!
El Gambito
El Gambito
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarsh Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 am

Creativity and Good Work seems to spawn from this thread! Thank you El Gambito!

Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there."

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:25 pm

D'aws, you're making me blush BigDarsh! Embarassed Cool 
El Gambito
El Gambito
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:17 pm

I remember renting this game for my PS1 back in the day, good stuff.

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Sun May 04, 2014 3:14 am

Tiny lil update!
Scene 1-2 for Axel/Rudra route:
Crisis Rage WIP Layer-10

Yeaaah, sorry for the quite slow progress gentlemen ^^''

I was also thinking on how the route select scene should look like, any suggestions? Razz

PD: I hope you had a happy birthday Charco, sir! Cool

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Sun May 04, 2014 11:17 am

curiously, I always thought Blaze and J.J were the closest enough while Adam would pair well with Skate as Kenneth but if you want to work with Rudra and Shiva, be my guest, that'll probably give something interesting Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Sun May 04, 2014 12:00 pm

El Gambito wrote:Tiny lil update!
Scene 1-2 for Axel/Rudra route:
Crisis Rage WIP Layer-10

Yeaaah, sorry for the quite slow progress gentlemen ^^''

I was also thinking on how the route select scene should look like, any suggestions? Razz

PD: I hope you had a happy birthday Charco, sir! Cool

Looking good.

May I recommend you playing a bit with the textures and details of the scene? As a base model is perfect, but still looks slightly drab. Work a bit in the details that give life to the scene. Check your source material, if there's extinguishers, ropes, lamps, plugs, etc, add them, that give life to the place, if not, try to add something that you think it will make the area great. I know you might not do the whole sprite work, but I guess for small details or pieces, you can use other stuff from other games as well. This will enhance the appearance of the place. Just a suggestion, though.

As for the route select, you can try how we made them in Adam's Story, a scene at 320 x 240 with a map that marks off limits (won't let you walk forward) and with the alternative route icons so you can choose your scene.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Sun May 04, 2014 4:15 pm

iceweb38 wrote:curiously, I always thought Blaze and J.J were the closest enough while Adam would pair well with Skate as Kenneth but if you want to work with Rudra and Shiva, be my guest, that'll probably give something interesting Smile

Yeah I had a hard time deciding between Blaze and Rudra but I guess I thought it was easier to use Rudra's actual sister as a base for Mily aaand as for the reason I went with Shiva is on the main post .w.
Plus and even if it is a mod, wouldn't it be weird if Skate and Adam behave as if it was the first time they met? Razz

Then I thought Max and Skate but I think the dialogues would've been too calmed and smart for Max heh.
Then I thought Zan and kinda fit being calmed and being a military tech savvy but there's the fighting style and also on some scenes in the end Kenneth and Eiji have some kind of rivalry chemistry going on which it kinda played weird with Zan so I then thought Shiva. cyclops 

He's cool, calmed, he's good with kicks and it could balance Rudra her being the only "villain" of the gang so I decided to roll with it  Cool 

Don Vecta wrote:
Looking good.

May I recommend you playing a bit with the textures and details of the scene? As a base model is perfect, but still looks slightly drab. Work a bit in the details that give life to the scene. Check your source material, if there's extinguishers, ropes, lamps, plugs, etc, add them, that give life to the place, if not, try to add something that you think it will make the area great. I know you might not do the whole sprite work, but I guess for small details or pieces, you can use other stuff from other games as well. This will enhance the appearance of the place. Just a suggestion, though.

As for the route select, you can try how we made them in Adam's Story, a scene at 320 x 240 with a map that marks off limits (won't let you walk forward) and with the alternative route icons so you can choose your scene.

Hmm checking the original source I think Im missing the railing which I'll use it in another layer and a slight detail in the background. The rest are objects you destroy, some with items and that's about it .w.
But sure, I'll think of something and get more familiarized with cruisers :3

As for using other sprite material I really wanna use some to save some time but I have 2 lil gripes with using 'em:
1.- Break the graphic line: My spritework is not really as detailed as a professional work but even then combining sprites from various game sometimes can seem unfitting. Like, some parts would look very detailed and others too simple/cartoonish like which in context both are alright but combined could break the graphic line ^^'' But then I again guess I could edit em and use them as a base  Razz 

2.- Break the fresh feeling: The next thing I say might sound wrong but I'll have to say it >w>''
*ahem*
Well, I wanna give the mod somewhat of a new a feeling and well, using other spriteworks and especially from known games and beat 'em ups sometimes kinda gives your the feel that "you're been there actually" like "Heeey, that's from Final Fight!", "Heey, that's from Turtles in Time!" and for easter eggs and cameos they are plenty okay but if I use it too frequently I fear it might be a bitsy monotone given how many mods used various sprites from other games ^^'' (Which I still respect their work and enjoy those games!)

But yeah, on the other hand going Rambo and doing all the spritework may take me forever so I'll definetely have it in consideration  Smile 

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.  tongue 

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Sun May 11, 2014 11:38 am

Good news, I just finished ripping the OST and got also cutscenes music (some are used many times so I should be able to edit to remove the SFX, others are used in stages). I'm compiling everything into OGG and it will be uploaded here Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Sun May 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Sweet! Thanks a lot man!  Very Happy 

Damn, I feel bad it's taking me a while to update this mod quicker, I wanna be in vacations already ;w;

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Sun May 11, 2014 6:54 pm

And here's the OST:
https://www.mediafire.com/?7aumdcop37ahra7

Two cutscenes musics couldn't be ripped properly so I edited them. Two others I just couldn't do a thing.
The rest is there, in full.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Mon May 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Just downloaded it and the quality is pretty awesome! Thanks again man!

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Mon May 12, 2014 4:50 pm

You're welcome!  Smile 

I forgot a couple of things to do, make sure to remove the first second of Options and stage 1-3, the game is glitched and plays the intro of another music before switching to the actual music sometimes.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Alrighty, I'll keep that in mind~

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Aight, here's a de-mustache'd Mr X!
Crisis Rage WIP Title12

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  JoyJoyfulRabbit Mon May 12, 2014 6:57 pm

El Gambito wrote:Aight, here's a de-mustache'd Mr X!
Crisis Rage WIP Title12

With mustache, he's remind me kind of villain from Contra Hard Cops :U

Crisis Rage WIP Contra+-+Hard+Corps030
JoyJoyfulRabbit
JoyJoyfulRabbit
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  El Gambito Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:03 am

Oh boy.
Sorry if I haven't been updating my mod fellas D:
Been in final exams last week (And it went bad x_x) and I got preeetty sick these days, doesn't help that my eyes became too sensitive to light sources Embarassed 
I'll work more steadily when I get better, gotta make at least a demo of the first stage in my little vacation I have! *shake fist*

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:55 pm

hey take your time, real life stuff comes first! (espeeeeeeecially exams!)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Easy, dude, no worries. We all have to deal with life issues. Smile 

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next