SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE

+15
Mr.Din
Feanor
BigDarsh
KFCutman
MangoRyu28
graylandertagger
DarkThief
Manicmagnet
Laucorn
Zarzak
Charco
Benny26
Lithium Flower
Don Vecta
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE Empty Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE

Post  Don Vecta Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:45 am

Perhaps the first new mod of our new forums? Yay~! Glad that it's me! Very Happy

Here I am, back again. This time put a bit my old mods DLC 2 for H.U.N.T.E.R. and some collabs works I'm involved with to deliver this quick tribute mod:

Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE RB00_zps61080d74

A perfect transition of the classic SNES beat 'em up Rushing Beat/Rival Turf! into the SOR style.

This mod features:

- Exact color palettes and names of enemies roleplaying the mooks from both Rival Turf!/Rushing Beat.
- Scenes from the game cleanly resized to match the SORR resolution (320 x 240), yet keeping the pixel perfect native resolution from the original.
- Perfect enemy positioning emulating the one in the original game.
- Scaled difficulty for Very Hard and Mania (extra enemies, more energy to bosses, etc.).
- Storyline (or more likely epilogue) inspired from the original Rushing Beat (including a translated ending).
- Faithful soundtrack of the original game.
- EXTRA SCENE available only for Very Hard or Mania players, offering remixed music, champion edition scenes, extra palettes and "characters" and a very challenging difficulty.

Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE RB01_zps33490ab2
Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE RB02_zps8cc1714a
Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE RB03_zpseb6e28ab

Tips and trivia:

- For perfect tribute gameplay, may I recommend using Axel as Rick Norton/Jack Flak or Max as Douglas Bild/Oozie Nelson.
- If you want the exact experience of the game play it in Hard or Below. However, Very Hard and Mania players are rewarded with a very extensive challenge mode that will put your skills to test.
- Take in mind the original game had very few energy items so be sharp, even though the swarms are not too big (usually max 3 or 4 enemies per wave) if played carelessly would be too hard for you.
- Play it with the custom palettes included in the file to enjoy the tribute at its fullest.

Enjoy, looking forward for your feedback.

An only rar, containing the main mod, the data folder and the custom palette folder. 
Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9och8htcdtixc8g/Rushing%20Beat%20Remake%20FE%20v2.0.rar?dl=0

Last edited by Don Vecta on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 5 times in total

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE Empty Re: Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE

Post  Lithium Flower Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:32 am

Sweet, needed something else for today. Thanks for the release.

Galsia

Back to top Go down

Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE Empty Re: Rushing Beat Remake v2.0 (WIP) by WSE

Post  Benny26 Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:00 am

Nice one, Don.

Downloaded and ready to try tomorrow Smile

Admin

https://sorr.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:20 am

Looks sweet! Looking forward to playing it!

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarzak Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Had the pleasure of helping test this out, and it's spot on awesome. I've never played the original, but i reall liked this. The palettes and music are awesome on this. Super well polished, some awesome enemy combo's, and a great challenge. I play on Hard, and Don was right about the food being scarce, but it definitely wasn't unfair. I did use a continue (was skate), but it was my own fault. I liked this challenge.

Over all, this is a really charming, fun, and challenging mod. Great work Don

Zarzak
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:10 pm

Just finished this and what can I say, this is a fantastic mod and I loved every minute of it. I never realised the graphics in Rival Turf were that good, some really cool backgrounds. I loved the SNES-y music too. Are all the stages from the first game or a mixture of the trilogy? Anyway, awesome mod and look forward to playing it again! 10/10

*/

Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:26 pm

charco wrote:Just finished this and what can I say, this is a fantastic mod and I loved every minute of it. I never realised the graphics in Rival Turf were that good, some really cool backgrounds. I loved the SNES-y music too. Are all the stages from the first game or a mixture of the trilogy? Anyway, awesome mod and look forward to playing it again! 10/10

Whoa~! Shocked a 10/10!? Now that's great, man! Very Happy Thanks a lot for the review.

And yes, all are 100% from Rushing Beat 1. If you played the extra stage too even though they have another flair, they are all from RB1. I was thinking in using a stage from Rushing Beat Ran but I abandoned the idea so I kept it faithful to the original.

Perhaps my only edit that wasn't like that in the game was the elevator on stage 3, which in the original game was just an ascending elevator with nothing (more like a transition cut scene), but I turned it into a small bonus room. Oh yeah, and did something interesting, check at the top of the building that the cables of the scaffolding fit in the end with the dragging machine atop of it. Lil' aesthetic trick that probly not everyone noticed it. Razz

Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward for more feedback.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Laucorn Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 am

Having played through this mod from beginning to end, i believe I have a new appreciation for Rushing Beat 1. I did a run with the CPU and it worked pretty well. The palettes were dead on, the scenes were either identical to, or better than the SNES original, and the choice of enemies was pretty well thought out.

I was also blown away by the translated ending, something I had been wanting to see for some time. As a fan of the Rushing Beat series, I am thoroughly impressed with this mod. Once you play it it all comes together. The only thing missing was the groin kick in the original Japanese version. Oh well, this mod took a risk given Rushing Beat 1 isn't quite as polished as 2 or 3 and made it work out incredibly. I'd love to see a Rushing Beat 2 mod from you Don.

So yeah I enjoyed it, even the crazy challenge stages afterwards. Very well done.

AKA Mister X Neo
Laucorn
Laucorn
SorR Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  6566328 Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:54 am

Hello everyone, I come from China, this is my video for this MOD
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTEwMDU3NzE2.html

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  6566328 Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:58 am

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Manicmagnet Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:46 am

6566328 wrote:Hello everyone, I come from China, this is my video for this MOD

Lol I can tell this guy played my mod, his video features my pallette set lol.
Manicmagnet
Manicmagnet
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Manicmagnet Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 am

Excuse me for being so rude with that last post,

I actually played through this mod and had a really great time, it reminded me of the original game and I liked your use of transparency for the lockeroom lighting effects. I noticed that the water on stages 4 and 5?(or6?) you did an amazing job on those layers I was really impressed.

However, the water was kind of creeping at the end, and you could see a weird wave pattern were the pixels were all the same color at the edge where the layers repeated. Just something to bring to your attention.

I'd give this mod a 9.5/10
-The levels were fantastic
-Music was original and fit the theme
-Fight placement was solid, but lacking (in my opinion; I like lots of enemies)
-Water effects need a small tune-up
-Overall great mod

And yeah, that's my review in a nutshell. Smile

Manicmagnet
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:02 am

6566328 wrote:Hello everyone, I come from China, this is my video for this MOD

Cool~! Welcome to our forums! I live in China too.

Good run of the grandmaster challenge, shame you accessed it through SORmaker instead of playing it in a whole game... and didn't use the custom palette, but great run, nevertheless.

Manicmagnet wrote:Lol I can tell this guy played my mod, his video features my pallette set lol.

YOUR palette? But what I saw was the default palette in the video. Rolling Eyes

Manicmagnet wrote:-snip-

Why thank you for your review. Yeah, that water part was something out from the rip I couldn't fix (or most likely I really even bothered to fix). The enemy placement is verbatim from the original, I unleashed a more powerful enemy placement in the grandmaster challenge, I'm rather sure you'd find that area more for your expectations.

Thank you all for your reviews and videos. Keep 'em coming! Smile

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  6566328 Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 am

The palette, I understand, I will use it the next time, by the way, your MOD is very good, is worthy of the moderator, also, I play sorr has 300 hours.

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 pm

6566328 wrote:The palette, I understand, I will use it the next time, by the way, your MOD is very good, is worthy of the moderator, also, I play sorr has 300 hours.

Good job. We need more hardcore SORR players. Videos are always welcome.

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Manicmagnet Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Don Vecta wrote:Good job. We need more hardcore SORR players. Videos are always welcome.

I will post some videos of my gameplay soon, I'm pretty good. I Watched this guy's video where he took the grandmaster challenge path. I'll try that one next time.

Manicmagnet
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Ok, I didn't have time to post proper feedback earlier on in the week after I played the mod, so here goes.

First off, well done on the mod, I am a big fan of the "remake" mods as they give a nostalgic feel to whatever game they are based on and add that great gameplay from SorR.

I had never really played much Rival Turf/Rushing Beat, so I was rather impressed by the graphics, they are clean and crisp and well detailed. There was also some nice diversity between stages/scenes (seeing an athletics track was really cool and unusual for a beat 'em up). The Sormaker tricks you used were really great too, lots of great stuff like lighting effects, transparency and the puddles were particularly cool and something I had not seen in a mod before. I noticed one slight layer issue in the docks stage where one of the flashing lamp posts was a couple of pixels off, but absolutely no other issues in the whole mod, which is a real feat for a v1.0 of a mod.

The music was actually quite cool, I enjoyed a lot of the tracks, especially the one in the forest/jungle, some really nice bass there. I thought some of the tracks in the earlier stages had volume a little lower than others? Maybe I was imagining things but I am sure you can check. Overall, some nice tracks and worked well with the stages.

The enemy placement was cool, a challenge but not unfair, and having the Grandmaster Challenge on higher difficulties is a great reward and a cool way for you to play around with your own enemy placement and not be confined to the original placement (good work on that BTW, I know how much of a pain it is to do the same enemy placement as I had a lot of headaches with my V4 Remake mod in this regard).

To finish, as I said earlier I really enjoyed the mod, I am a sucker for remakes and if this game only took you 1 week, I would love to see you try your hand at a Warriors of Fate, Knights of the Round remake or something similar. Or perhaps you could do the next two Rushing Beat games or include them in this one as alternate routes a la Final Rage Trilogy. Getting mods out quickly like this would bring a real buzz to the community here so I really hope you consider this.

Roll on v1.1 or your next remake project and get that H.U.N.T.E.R. dlc pack 2 out soon! Very Happy

*/

Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:00 pm

That was a gorgeous and constructive review, luv it, Charco! <3

Yeah, basically I'm a sucker for Rushing Beat/Rival Turf since this was a game I played having the enormous Final Fight rush I had on me back in my early 90's (yeah, I have to say, while Double Dragon and Crime Fighters were my first beat 'em ups in the arcades, my true love was Final Fight that in the end led me to the console beat 'em ups and that's when SOR and Rival Turf came in). I always loved the graphics and the light filters they used in the time back then, which was a noticeable feature that no other console beat 'em up had by that time (such as the lamps in the locker room or the sunset buildings on the city in stage 3-1, for example). And while in gameplay certainly needed a HUGE polishing to be at the level of Final Fight, it was rather decent to play.

Actually, when I've got on the hold on my first Rival Turf rips (by that time I resized them but fucked up the original native resolution), I used several on them in H.U.N.T.E.R. (lockers used in the massage parlor, the warehouse and offices used in the underground den, etc.) and felt like doing this tribute mod by that. But I still didn't master the usage of photoshop to keep the native resolution so I couldn't go further the halfway of stage one and this idea got canned.

Afterwards, found a way to do better proper rips from SNES plus using partially the already existing resources of it in the spriters-resources and got the hype to do this project properly. So, based in how Caj made the Golden Axe/SOR original trilogy, Deus made the Final Fight one and you recreated v4, I said, well, let's do this! I had the whole rips clean and up to use so... there it goes.

The Grandmaster Challenge idea came when I suggested a modder to create some champion edition-like scenes, altered in a way they are the same but at the same time look so different. This also was inspired by the extra scenes that Deus used in the Final Fight Trilogy ending stage too. So I worked on these. The city reflection on the puddles was an idea I worked already in the already canned project Zan's Story (truly a shame, in that street it looked gorgeous) and can say my favie change was to make that little coffee shop in stage 1 open and lit completely. I've got satisfied on that one.

Not sure if I'd go for a v1.1 unless there's no tidbits found in game (such as bugs, graphical issues or finding that stage skip Sidd mentioned), but if so I'll fix these little details going on. I'm still not convinced to go for the rest of the series, though Laucorn and you seems way supportive to go for the trilogy, so... oh well, let's see if I've got a rush on me again.

And yes, the track of South of the Border is my favorite of the series too.

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 am

I'm also in favor of remakes of ran and syura/shura. The latter is my favorite of the 3, doesn't say much as I love all three games. The OST of the series is amazing imo. Also noticed the end was an actual translation of the story so I'd love to see those two games get the same treatment! Very Happy Not sure how much you played the 3rd one but I've been obsessed with that game, tons of paths and from what I can understand, endings as well.

As for the hidden stage:

I remember I got this room wgen I was randomly dashing in the first level, oddly, when I destroyed the statue I was return to the level BUT father than where I started
Being more specific, sometimes the game froze in the elevator room, sometimes after the elevator I appeared in the last part of the 1st level and sometimes I appeared in the last part of the 4th level (which implies a connection with the mentioned "door" of that level). The amount of lives I reappeared with seemed not to be connected to the place I reappeared. I was fortunate that at least once, playing with my cousin, I reappeared with "P" lives in the 4th level, while his lives didn't change.
i accidentally found this room on the game running into a real snes (rushing beat), but i found it by entering a door on stage 3 (i'm not sure) and after breaking the statue i got warped to lvl 5.

Forum Elder

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 am

Interesting.

Will try to rip these scenes, the statue one would be a bit hard since that scene (and the versus scene) are in Mode 7 style. But will experiment this bug this evening.

EDIT: Okay, experimented the bug and tried. Very weird indeed. Ripped the exit room without a problem, but as expected, the mode 7 statue scene was a bitch to rip. Anyways, I might add this in a next revision.

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:18 pm

*/

Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  6566328 Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 am

The MOD and I challenge again, this better than last time, the loss of four lives, and, I use the palette
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTEyNTUyMDE2.html

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  6566328 Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Character Palette I want CajNatalie, but I can not contact her, hope Don Vecta help me tell her if she would like to, in addition, she is a great girl.

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm

6566328 wrote:Character Palette I want CajNatalie, but I can not contact her, hope Don Vecta help me tell her if she would like to, in addition, she is a great girl.

Heh, you can try to contact her as she recently joined the forums. Unfortunately she and I have lost contact each other and we don't collaborate together anymore.

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  6566328 Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Don Vecta wrote:
6566328 wrote:Character Palette I want CajNatalie, but I can not contact her, hope Don Vecta help me tell her if she would like to, in addition, she is a great girl.

Heh, you can try to contact her as she recently joined the forums. Unfortunately she and I have lost contact each other and we don't collaborate together anymore.

It is a pity

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next