SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streets of Kamurocho

Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Streets of Kamurocho

Post  DamianD on Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Streets of Kamurocho limited time mini game mash up of Yakuza and Sor2 available Oct 17 to 19.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368430/Streets_Of_Kamurocho/

_________________
Streets of Kamurocho Sor2maxcustom2-1
DamianD
DamianD
Donovan

Posts : 59
Join date : 2013-02-02
Location : Calgary

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  Iceferno on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Preview video:



Looks like it'll be fun! Has more of a Scott Pilgrim game look with the SOR2 hud, but I'm curious to try it.

_________________
Streets of Kamurocho Cc89e0_c9087c3bf13840489dc2bb11eddc7022~mv2
Iceferno
Iceferno
Signal

Posts : 128
Join date : 2017-09-22
Location : United Kingdom

https://iceferno.bandcamp.com/

DamianD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  SpideyKeiiti on Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Iceferno wrote:Preview video:



Looks like it'll be fun! Has more of a Scott Pilgrim game look with the SOR2 hud, but I'm curious to try it.

There's a boss with same Barbon's moveset and voice. I hope it not being only a spriteswap from SOR2 Rolling Eyes

_________________
Streets of Kamurocho A967644a6cc73176b4136c3288c177da
Drive That Funky Soul
SpideyKeiiti
SpideyKeiiti
Galsia

Posts : 34
Join date : 2020-08-06
Location : Brazil

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  graylandertagger on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Iceferno wrote:Preview video:



Looks like it'll be fun! Has more of a Scott Pilgrim game look with the SOR2 hud, but I'm curious to try it.
I just downloaded it and am about to play. I here it's only available for a short bit and aren't sure if, after two days it will disappear from my steam library. That said anyone interested in me giving a shot at ripping the graphics backgrounds. Might be work being put in a free to use stages archive.
https://sorr.forumotion.net/t825-free-to-use-stages
graylandertagger
graylandertagger
Nora

Posts : 150
Join date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  Iceferno on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 pm

I'm told it will stay in your Steam account after delisting, so I hope that's true.
I might have to get any footage I want recorded before the 19th just incase.

I've played it now. I enjoyed it, even if it's basically just a reskin of SOR2 Stage 1. I really like the Japanese city backdrop.

_________________
Streets of Kamurocho Cc89e0_c9087c3bf13840489dc2bb11eddc7022~mv2
Iceferno
Iceferno
Signal

Posts : 128
Join date : 2017-09-22
Location : United Kingdom

https://iceferno.bandcamp.com/

SpideyKeiiti likes this post

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  SpideyKeiiti on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Iceferno wrote:I'm told it will stay in your Steam account after delisting, so I hope that's true.
I might have to get any footage I want recorded before the 19th just incase.

I've played it now. I enjoyed it, even if it's basically just a reskin of SOR2 Stage 1. I really like the Japanese city backdrop.

Every character got Axel's moveset, I've played untill stage 6 ;/ I'll put the video here soon

Edit: Here is the video


Last edited by SpideyKeiiti on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Streets of Kamurocho A967644a6cc73176b4136c3288c177da
Drive That Funky Soul
SpideyKeiiti
SpideyKeiiti
Galsia

Posts : 34
Join date : 2020-08-06
Location : Brazil

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  DamianD on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm

I was really looking forward to playing this but my computer sucks and the game gives me directx 11 error so I watched it on YouTube lol. It looks cool like all the new object sprites.

If anyone sees Baconomelette on the leaderboards thats my brother he is currently number 1 in single player.

_________________
Streets of Kamurocho Sor2maxcustom2-1
DamianD
DamianD
Donovan

Posts : 59
Join date : 2013-02-02
Location : Calgary

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  Don Vecta on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 pm

So I also made a previous run of SoK before recording this: it's basically a loop of the same stage and difficulty picks up until reaching Mania style of difficulty. 
So, SOK is mainly a mod based on SOR2, with Chinese Triads, Yakuza and chimpira cosplaying as Galsia, Donnie and Signals. Lau Ka Long takes the place of Jack, Koji Shindo takes the role of Electra (yeah, I know...) and Nishiki is Barbon (yup, bartender Nishiki). Hell, even the extra life from SOR2 is there as well. It also annoyed me that everyone has the same sound from SOR2 instead of using sounds from Yakuza series, looks funny how Lau laughs like Jack.
I love the assets and design overall, it's a shame that Kiryu, Majima and Ichiban are the three of them based on Axel, I think Majima would be looking awesome with the quick style of Skate and Ichiban with Blaze to add more variety.
And what? No love for Akiyama, Saejima, Shinada and Tanimura? HMPH!
Oh well, definitely I need these assets, cuz I'm sure SOK would look better in SORmaker, don't you think, boys and girls? ;-) 

Here's my run with the three characters, didn't bother to loop, just wanted to give a showcase of the three characters. Oh yeah, each of them have their own version of the pipe: Kiry uses the epic traffic cone, Majima his baseball bat from Slugger style and Ichiban a wooden plank.


_________________
Streets of Kamurocho Signature_zps2ad5949e
Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta
Moderator

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2013-01-10

DamianD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  SORDave on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Don Vecta wrote:So I also made a previous run of SoK before recording this: it's basically a loop of the same stage and difficulty picks up until reaching Mania style of difficulty. 
So, SOK is mainly a mod based on SOR2, with Chinese Triads, Yakuza and chimpira cosplaying as Galsia, Donnie and Signals. Lau Ka Long takes the place of Jack, Koji Shindo takes the role of Electra (yeah, I know...) and Nishiki is Barbon (yup, bartender Nishiki). Hell, even the extra life from SOR2 is there as well. It also annoyed me that everyone has the same sound from SOR2 instead of using sounds from Yakuza series, looks funny how Lau laughs like Jack.
I love the assets and design overall, it's a shame that Kiryu, Majima and Ichiban are the three of them based on Axel, I think Majima would be looking awesome with the quick style of Skate and Ichiban with Blaze to add more variety.
And what? No love for Akiyama, Saejima, Shinada and Tanimura? HMPH!
Oh well, definitely I need these assets, cuz I'm sure SOK would look better in SORmaker, don't you think, boys and girls? ;-) 

Here's my run with the three characters, didn't bother to loop, just wanted to give a showcase of the three characters. Oh yeah, each of them have their own version of the pipe: Kiry uses the epic traffic cone, Majima his baseball bat from Slugger style and Ichiban a wooden plank.


I thought it was an interesting take but yeah I agree with you Don,I bet you can make good use of the stuff for SOR Maker.

SORDave
Donovan

Posts : 58
Join date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  graylandertagger on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 am

SORDave wrote:
Don Vecta wrote:So I also made a previous run of SoK before recording this: it's basically a loop of the same stage and difficulty picks up until reaching Mania style of difficulty. 
So, SOK is mainly a mod based on SOR2, with Chinese Triads, Yakuza and chimpira cosplaying as Galsia, Donnie and Signals. Lau Ka Long takes the place of Jack, Koji Shindo takes the role of Electra (yeah, I know...) and Nishiki is Barbon (yup, bartender Nishiki). Hell, even the extra life from SOR2 is there as well. It also annoyed me that everyone has the same sound from SOR2 instead of using sounds from Yakuza series, looks funny how Lau laughs like Jack.
I love the assets and design overall, it's a shame that Kiryu, Majima and Ichiban are the three of them based on Axel, I think Majima would be looking awesome with the quick style of Skate and Ichiban with Blaze to add more variety.
And what? No love for Akiyama, Saejima, Shinada and Tanimura? HMPH!
Oh well, definitely I need these assets, cuz I'm sure SOK would look better in SORmaker, don't you think, boys and girls? ;-) 

Here's my run with the three characters, didn't bother to loop, just wanted to give a showcase of the three characters. Oh yeah, each of them have their own version of the pipe: Kiry uses the epic traffic cone, Majima his baseball bat from Slugger style and Ichiban a wooden plank.


I thought it was an interesting take but yeah I agree with you Don,I bet you can make good use of the stuff for SOR Maker.

Somehow I after playing this I can't help, but feel that this was made using the SORR maker. I know it sounds odd, but it feels a bit like that.
graylandertagger
graylandertagger
Nora

Posts : 150
Join date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  Xillatem on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:19 am

Fun for what it is! Would have been nice to have Majima use Skate's moveset though.

I was speaking to one of the devs.  It works the same way as Sonic 3 A.I.R apparently - the actual game engine is running from the original SoR2 ROM underneath everything else.  That's why you can't leave the 4:3 boundry area and sometimes enemies will just appear from nowhere at the edge of the screen.

Anyways, it's nice to be able to play as Ichiban in a game with a proper combat system Razz
Xillatem
Xillatem
SorR Contributor

Posts : 156
Join date : 2013-01-13

Don Vecta and SpideyKeiiti like this post

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  Security on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:36 am

I don't know why, but lookes very one dimensional, boring, uninspired/uninspiring as well as repetitive. I bet all my money, a proper SorRemake mod out of it, would honestly do it some justice. Even if it's free, i won't bother getting. What i am really interested into from Sega sales, though, is the Alpha Version of Golden Axed (axed because cancelled) Remake, from Sega Australia. This beuty would have been a great hit (damn you incompetent Sega!):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368460/Golden_Axed_A_Cancelled_Prototype/
Security
Security
Nora

Posts : 174
Join date : 2016-03-08
Location : Syndicate Headquarters

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  E253MechaShadow on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 pm

This is... an incredibly odd game.

There's little to no story, it is only one level long, but it plays very well, much like a widescreen spriteswap of SOR2's 1st stage. You can play as Axel, Axel, or Axel, they control exactly like in SOR2, have the same movesets and the same physics. It really makes me wish SORR had widescreen support.

Funny thing, I noticed a couple of fishy names in the credits.

- Blargg - a Mario enemy reference, probably some fan
- MarkeyJester - a profound romhacker, known for Dr. Robotnik's Creature Capture and Sonic Next Level. I wonder how he ended up here? scratch

E253MechaShadow
Galsia

Posts : 12
Join date : 2014-11-04

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  oracle on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Don Vecta wrote:It also annoyed me that everyone has the same sound from SOR2 instead of using sounds from Yakuza series, looks funny how Lau laughs like Jack.

Just a theory: they loaded the original SOR2 rom bin and patched the sprites in memory (sort of like sor 2 syndicate wars, but perhaps no change was made to the original rom). They muted the music and added their own track replacement but there was not enough time to figure out how to patch each enemy and player sound effect. Razz
oracle
oracle
Nora

Posts : 168
Join date : 2015-11-14
Location : Portugal

SpideyKeiiti likes this post

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  oracle on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Xillatem wrote:Fun for what it is!  Would have been nice to have Majima use Skate's moveset though.

I was speaking to one of the devs.  It works the same way as Sonic 3 A.I.R apparently - the actual game engine is running from the original SoR2 ROM underneath everything else.  That's why you can't leave the 4:3 boundry area and sometimes enemies will just appear from nowhere at the edge of the screen.

Anyways, it's nice to be able to play as Ichiban in a game with a proper combat system Razz

LOL, so it is all an intelligent ROM patch, right?
oracle
oracle
Nora

Posts : 168
Join date : 2015-11-14
Location : Portugal

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  oracle on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm

graylandertagger wrote:Somehow I after playing this I can't help, but feel that this was made using the SORR maker.  I know it sounds odd, but it feels a bit like that.  

It's odd and this may be the future of ROM hacking. Perhaps in the future someone will create a tool that will allow modders to augment and skin classic ROM images like SOR without having to patch the original BIN files. This is just what the authors of SOK appears to have achieved. It would feel like SORR maker in many ways
oracle
oracle
Nora

Posts : 168
Join date : 2015-11-14
Location : Portugal

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum