SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can we make it a rule that there are no dialogue boxes during gameplay?

5 posters

Go down

Can we make it a rule that there are no dialogue boxes during gameplay? Empty Can we make it a rule that there are no dialogue boxes during gameplay?

Post  Iceferno Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 pm

I can't be the only one annoyed by this. How are we supposed to read it?

Big-Ben

https://iceferno.com

saboteur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Can we make it a rule that there are no dialogue boxes during gameplay? Empty Re: Can we make it a rule that there are no dialogue boxes during gameplay?

Post  vince Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:24 pm

I think the same. Even excellent mods did this mistake, although the original SORR never do that: the dialogue boxes are only during cutscenes or when the screen is blocked (against Shiva for example).
You can rename the folder "script" in the mod folder, to have no dialogues, but you will have no cutscenes too.

In the same way, I think cutscene should always be short.

Last edited by vince on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
vince
vince
Electra

saboteur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Can we make it a rule that there are no dialogue boxes during gameplay? Empty Re: Can we make it a rule that there are no dialogue boxes during gameplay?

Post  Iceferno Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 pm

vince wrote:You can rename the folder "script" in the mod folder, to have no dialogue,s but you will have no cutscenes too.
Ah, good tip, thanks. I'll have to remember to do that.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with them overall, since it's a SoR3 aesthetic that's carried over. But it has to be within reason.

Big-Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:05 am

Well, you CAN skip dialogues and text in gameplay if you press X X (like the command of calling a CPU partner your way).

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Karo-sempai Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:47 pm

Iceferno wrote:I can't be the only one annoyed by this. How are we supposed to read it?
If such a rule pulls itself up, I will not comply with it. If that becomes a law, I will violate it.
My upcoming (I hope so) mods will always be plot-happy and dialogue-heavy; maybe even sometimes within reason. Very Happy

Personally, I have never had any problems reading the text at the bottom of the screen before, even if the cutscenes (and dialogue inserts during the mission) were somewhat long. However, I've become a bit 'out of shape' (not physically, I mean), because I am getting older and not so quick as I used to be... therefore, I always play on Easy... so maybe it's just me.

(Also kindly see the update below, i. e. my next post.)

Last edited by Karo-sempai on Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Karo-sempai
Karo-sempai
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceferno Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:35 pm

I just find it so intrusive, and it makes you choose between concentrating on the enemies or reading.
It's especially bad if it ends up obstructing the stage (hidden traps etc.)
Anyway, I have since found I can remove or simply rename the Txts in the mod directory, so this isn't really an issue anymore.
Iceferno
Iceferno
Big-Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Chewy-McFluffster2010 Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:11 pm

It would be worse if the player is in a stage that involves a custom time limit.

They would be unlikely to move on to the next stage in time, risking a Game Over situation unless they stopped reading and kept moving except in mods that change its behavior (eg. moving to a different stage automatically after the time has expired).

The galaxy's #1 SoR Remake player since 2014
Mr.Chewy-McFluffster2010
Mr.Chewy-McFluffster2010
Donovan

Iceferno likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Karo-sempai Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:16 am

An important update to the previous post of mine:

....However, I respect the sense of moderation. I always seek to make the in-mission dialogue as short as I can. Almost always that's successful. When not, I intentionally make the fight rather easy, easier than others fights in the same game.

I can't make stages (=locations = backgrounds) by myself, so I will have to plagiarize; every mod of mine WILL imminently be a collection of "stolen" someone else's backgrounds from other mods. I promise to give something similar to the "proper credit", that is, the list of cannibalized games in the final "credits". I am not able to do something more than that, I can't help it; sorry to everyone. I meant no offense.
If I ever publish my "wannabe mods", I will GLADLY (and by default) allow any skilled modders to edit/update/improve such mediocre works AS THEY WANT TO... not changing the plot/scenario/dialogue, however... except with my special permission. The point is, it's the only thing I know how to do.
Karo-sempai
Karo-sempai
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Karo-sempai Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:32 am

vince wrote:I think cutscene should always be short.
It's not always possible.

But what of me, I think that cutscene should be either short or at least contain interesting conflict/twist/explanation. Or even both (interesting content + shortness), if feasible.

I can't make stages (=locations = backgrounds) by myself, so I will have to plagiarize; every mod of mine WILL imminently be a collection of "stolen" someone else's backgrounds from other mods. I promise to give something similar to the "proper credit", that is, the list of cannibalized games in the final "credits". I am not able to do something more than that, I can't help it; sorry to everyone. I meant no offense.
If I ever publish my "wannabe mods", I will GLADLY (and by default) allow any skilled modders to edit/update/improve such mediocre works AS THEY WANT TO... not changing the plot/scenario/dialogue, however... except with my special permission. The point is, it's the only thing I know how to do.
Karo-sempai
Karo-sempai
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down