SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SoRR Project Resurrection?

+4
graylandertagger
Don Vecta
iceweb38
Swamp
8 posters

Go down

SoRR Project Resurrection? Empty SoRR Project Resurrection?

Post  Swamp Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:55 pm

SoRR: ROM-Hacking is Legal Now

Apparently, Sega says that it's okay to hack ROMS. Becuase of this, I was wondering if Bombergames will get back into the modding scene w/ SoRR. I'd be down to see the old dream team do their magic!

wwwdotsega.co.uk/news/sega-mega-drive-classics-hub

wwwdottheverge.com/2016/4/20/11476192/sega-genesis-mega-drive-mods-steam

(can't post external links yet  Sad

#Swag

Swamp
Galsia

https://blueburst.gg/

Back to top Go down

SoRR Project Resurrection? Empty Re: SoRR Project Resurrection?

Post  Saven Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 am

Sega's still probably butthurt that a small group of people with their own free time were able to make a better game than they ever will, especially in the last 15 years, so I doubt it.
Saven
Saven

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:18 pm

SEGA is endorsing rom hacks, not fangames, which is what SORR is.
Besides, Bombergames completed the project already, it's the V5 build.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:30 pm

iceweb38 wrote:SEGA is endorsing rom hacks, not fangames unless if it's Sonic the Hedgehog (they had a sonic fangame alliance a few years back), which is what SORR is.

Added a little tidbit for you. Razz
Saven
Saven

Back to top Go down

Post  Swamp Sun May 01, 2016 10:54 am

Saven wrote:
iceweb38 wrote:SEGA is endorsing rom hacks, not fangames unless if it's Sonic the Hedgehog (they had a sonic fangame alliance a few years back), which is what SORR is.

Added a little tidbit for you. Razz

Quoted for truth. At least this makes them a tiny bit better than Square-Enix and Nintendo when it comes to fan-games.

Didn't the rest of the team work together to make SoRR 5.1 after he left?

I find it funny that Sega chooses what fan-games to allow. The Sonic community would take a massive blow if Sega started tossing C&Ds at them.

Swamp
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Mon May 02, 2016 9:03 pm

It's not really surprising.
The Sonic franchise is the most important to them and thus so are its fan community which has only grown closer with the years, recently one of the Sonic Retro staff even got hired by Sega of America.

Still better than Square and Nintendo, on that we can agree but far from being as wise and caring as Capcom, which has allowed and officially edited a Megaman fangame developped by a former Bombergames contributor and also invited a group of developpers who has worked on a Resident Evil 2 remake fangame to show them what they were doing with the real RE2 remake.
That's why I get sad everytime I hear people spitting on Capcom.

As for SEGA, I can only hope that with Aaron Webber return and SoJ recent claims of wanting to go back to what made them great in the 90s, they stop pulling as many shitmoves. Not getting too hopeful though.

And nope, Bomberlink was the sole programmer on the game and won't work on the game again considering the C&D.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Mon May 02, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm still pretty sure having that donation button on the front page wasn't the best decision. I could see all this malice if SEGA went around cancelling SoR projects left to right, hacks included but that's not even the case. Not to mention there's no way SEGA didn't know about SoRR prior to v5 when v4 itself was getting some publicity, so if it were anything like these other companies there would be no v5. But hey I won't stand in the way of blind rage maybe it's helping spreading SoRR's presence, maybe not. Rolling Eyes

Forum Elder

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Mon May 02, 2016 11:20 pm

I don't see people raging here. Just stating facts, that's all.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven Tue May 03, 2016 3:55 pm

iceweb38 wrote:It's not really surprising.

Oh I know it isn't. It's pretty obvious that Sega has a huge hard-on for the blue hedgehog based on the fact that is the only franchise they care about in the last 16 years. I wouldn't have much of a problem with it if they weren't so biased towards one IP and then give the finger to the other IP when they shut down a fan remake and say "There are no plans for a Streets of Rage game at this time. In the meantime, enjoy are half-assed iOS port of the censored version Streets of Rage 3 LOL!" or even to another shunned IP in Shining Force where you couldn't post a video of it on youtube because they were embarrassed by it or some dumb shit like that. And turning a blind eye to people using their most popular IP, creating fan games left and right that same year. Then later, they go "Sonicretro, ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" with that Sonic Alliance or whatever the fuck it was called.

Yeah sure, they got a little better by letting some IPs like ToeJam & Earl and Shenmue go back to their original creator, but they still got a lot of work to do as a company themselves to get off mine and plenty of other's shit lists. They can tout all they like about "Hey fans, we are going to be like the 90s again!" all they want. But until I can see actual quality from them, they can go fuck themselves for all I care. They could've done that recently with the emulator they released recently, but unfortunately, it was a half-assed emulator that looks and sounds as bad as Gens hidden behind a bedroom simulator. Although, I guess it could just be me because apparently the bedroom simulator was the best thing Sega has ever done since the Dreamcast based on the reactions I've read online and how I got bashed for calling it the terrible emulator that it is. "NONONONO SAVEN, ITS AWESOME! THIS ISNT ANYTHING LIKE GENS YOU TROLL!"

But it's ok though, it has a bedroom simulator, and that's all that matters. Because it takes them back to the days of when their moms would throw in a vintage Bugs Bunny VHS tape in their room to occupy their minds while she would screw her boyfriend in the garage.

Anyways, Sega has disappointed many fans, including Streets of Rage fans, doesn't really give a shit about them, and continues to release half-assed material. There are plenty of reasons to be mad at Sega because they can do better and they don't want to. They are the Indiana basketball of video games: IUsedtobe
Saven
Saven

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Tue May 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Now the rage is on! Razz
But seriously, I haven't gotten too much word of mouths yet about the emulator itself, I just know so far that the Sonic community is having hard times with people uploading hacks without the hacker consent.

I saw that the BKIII english translation made it there on the first day the thing was released but I'm not sure if it's the guy who worked on it.

Anyway, I'm moving this thread since it's getting offtopic.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Tue May 03, 2016 7:02 pm

SEGA got a few cooler point by finally localizing Yakuza 5, Yakuza 0 and (hopefully) Yakuza 6. I'm still with a neutral position regarding other IP's.

And yes, I'm still salty about their dickish move against SORR... perhaps I'd never forgive them for that, not that they would actually give two damns about it, right? I'm still buying their Yakuza games anyway. Razz

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Kind of odd how Sega cares far too much about the Sonic franchise considering how far it's fallen. If you ask me, they should revive something different. Maybe hire Treasure software to make another Gunstar Heroes game if they're not going to work on Streets of Rage(not sure who owns the Gunstar Heroes License though). Anything's better than watching Sonic commit videogame suicide.
graylandertagger
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:53 pm

I myself will NEVER forgive Sega for their dickmove on SorRemake. But i hate them passionately for another reason; they closed down Sega Australia and cancelled the official Golden Axe remake. This would have been a cult classic! They are the worst. For the same reason i loved them decades ago, i now hate them.

Only remakes of their good old games will make me reconsider, PLUS an official apology to Bombergames.
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Swamp Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 am

Soo...

Sega gave the okay for fans to remake/remaster the Wonder Boy games, and allowed Christian Whitehead to do Sonic Mania. Bomberlink should come back to resurrect SORR to the masses.

If he's down, I can try to hit up Whitehead to see how to get the ball rolling (He's in AUS, I'm in NZ atm).

Swamp
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 am

Swamp wrote:Soo...

Sega gave the okay for fans to remake/remaster the Wonder Boy games, and allowed Christian Whitehead to do Sonic Mania. Bomberlink should come back to resurrect SORR to the masses.

If he's down, I can try to hit up Whitehead to see how to get the ball rolling (He's in AUS, I'm in NZ atm).
You'd be better off endorsing a new project. Who's going to pay for a game you can get for free?

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

Mr.Din wrote:You'd be better off endorsing a new project. Who's going to pay for a game you can get for free?

I would. Whenever i like a title much, i even buy more than 1 copies as well. There are two fangames that i currently am playing (SORR obviously is one) and both are free to get; needless to say, i would buy them day1, should they ever got an official release in a legit distributor, even in retail!
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:59 am

With the backlash SEGA received for putting a cap on the project in the first place this would be a waste of time and resources. At best they should port it to steam and endorse it as a free download like Capcom did with that MMxSF game to get it out there as a gesture of goodwill. I'd also hate to be that guy but there are still some assets used from other games in v5 as well as far as stage pieces, not sure how hard companies would crackdown on that but it wouldn't be a good look.

For every 1 person who would buy this 9 others would be calling SEGA "Lazy", "Pandering" or "Evil" for trying to make a profit off a free fan game.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven Thu May 04, 2017 5:19 am

Mr.Din wrote:With the backlash SEGA received for putting a cap on the project in the first place this would be a waste of time and resources. At best they should port it to steam and endorse it as a free download like Capcom did with that MMxSF game to get it out there as a gesture of goodwill. I'd also hate to be that guy but there are still some assets used from other games in v5 as well as far as stage pieces, not sure how hard companies would crackdown on that but it wouldn't be a good look.

For every 1 person who would buy this 9 others would be calling SEGA "Lazy", "Pandering" or "Evil" for trying to make a profit off a free fan game.

Yep, and even then I would think that Sega would demand certain things to be removed from the game that are not copyright-reasons like Ash, especially in today's world.
Saven
Saven

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 am

Saven wrote:
Yep, and even then I would think that Sega would demand certain things to be removed from the game that are not copyright-reasons like Ash, especially in today's world.

What's wrong with Ash? Don't gay people always ask for representation inside games, for protagonists and characters devoted to them?

I myself am not very fond of gay content, but still, i enjoyed playing as Ash, or have him in co-op mode as a follower (especially with Elle as my main)...

Someone care to explain why "Ash" caused such a ruckus, especially back then??? I never understood the whole deal, please help me do just that?
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Swamp Fri May 05, 2017 8:54 am

Security wrote:

Someone care to explain why "Ash" caused such a ruckus, especially back then??? I never understood the whole deal, please help me do just that?

Ash's clothing was super-over-the-top and too stereotypical for Western audiences. In those days (even today), sex in video games was a no-no for the West. Cleavage and panty-shots were removed and women characters were swapped to men (Final Fight I think?).

TL:DR - Westerners say "No" to sex in games.

Swamp
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Fri May 05, 2017 10:06 am

Swamp wrote:
Ash's clothing was super-over-the-top and too stereotypical for Western audiences. In those days (even today), sex in video games was a no-no for the West. Cleavage and panty-shots were removed and women characters were swapped to men (Final Fight I think?).

TL:DR - Westerners say "No" to sex in games.

In other words, mere, plain, bad old censorship, if i get that right... That is why juicy female outfits present in Bare Knuckle 3, were absent from Streets of Rage 3. Censor is evil, especially whenever it plagues art, freedom of expression, etc (i consider video games a form of art myself).

Ash is a very likable character, especially in the mods; doubly so in those ones that he ends up helping the team! He is very convincing and seems to fit right in!

Well, at least the Remake here "corrected" all those mistakes, decades ago... Heck, they even gave back Mr.X his cigar (and put naughty Blaze cheat & easter egg)!
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Sat May 06, 2017 4:30 pm

security wrote:What's wrong with Ash? Don't gay people always ask for representation inside games, for protagonists and characters devoted to them?
This is the equivalent to saying black people wanted to be represented by a big red lip, shucking and jiving, fried chicken wielding, boxer dude. Let's not act like Ash is a good representation of gay people lol. Dude's a walking stereotype.

Saven is right on the money though as to why he was censored back then, nowadays he'd either not be censored at all (SEGA's actually a lot more lenient on this stuff, see Yakuza series) or he'd be censored for what I just said above and SJW's capitalizing on such. Me personally I just find Ash's design to be straight stupid, I guess that's the point for a goofy character though so eh.

Either way SoRR is great starting point as far as what we SHOULD expect from another SoR game in terms of standards but if there's going to be anything related to SoR SEGA should move forward and put in the effort to simply just make a great SoR game building off of what SoRR left behind. SEGA's time to support SoRR has long expired and I have no interest in them deciding now to do something unless of course it's like I said an endorsement equivalent to what Capcom did with MMxSF and the game is released for free. Anything else is just a slap in the face to everyone who supported the game prior imho.

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzza Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:22 pm

I read that Sega are reviving Eternal Champions. Pretty bold move on there part if they do.
bazzza
bazzza
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down