SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance

4 posters

Go down

Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Empty Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance

Post  Shadow Fist King Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 pm

After several months of working on this project (in between real-world obligations), I am pleased to present the update to my very first mod, "Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance."

Originally called simply "Vengeance," the mod underwent a major overhaul and story change, and after careful examination and testing on my part, I present it here for review before putting it in the Completed section of the site.

EDIT ON OCTOBER 2, 2013: "Syndicate Vengeance v.1.1" is now available, with a corrected story plot and modified information. New download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/03qve8uawgfnoon/Syndicate_Vengeance_1.zip

SECOND EDIT ON OCTOBER 2, 2013: Download link for the Enemies folder (back-up your own data before downloading and using this one!) below:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x9cson4t1x8jyon/enemies.zip

STORYLINE: Set after the events of SoRR, Blaze and Dr. Zan - who have been working together since those events - summon Axel and the others for a meeting when a mysterious informant slips a note under their office door, warning them that the Syndicate has not died despite Mr. X's defeat. Soon afterwards, the heroes meet said informant, who gives them a mysterious medallion and instructions to take out the Syndicate's latest criminal operations. But what is the medallion for? What are the Syndicate's plans this time around? And in whose interest is the informant working?

Below are some screen-shots from the mod:

Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance SyndicateVengeancescreen3_zpse16768eaStreets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance SyndicateVengeancescreen2_zps96356546

Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Zanatbeach_zpsf7885363Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Zanatconstructionsite_zps8e134034

Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Axelinpark_zps720daca3Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Blazevskagami_zpsc51d4a7f

N.B. No special music is used in this mod apart from the usual SoR music provided for mod-building.

Reviews welcome!

Last edited by Shadow Fist King on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

Signal

Back to top Go down

Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Empty Re: Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance

Post  BigDarsh Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:43 am

I will test this out, but you provided the wrong file. Savegame is not needed for name/palette.
You need to upload your "enemies" folder in order to permit people see the name of your custom mook. Wink

Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there."

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Empty Re: Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance

Post  Shadow Fist King Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:33 am

BigDarsh wrote:I will test this out, but you provided the wrong file. Savegame is not needed for name/palette.
You need to upload your "enemies" folder in order to permit people see the name of your custom mook. Wink
Thanks for the correction. I made the adjustment in the original post. Thumbs up 

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarsh Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Ok, i think this is an average mod. It's not a bad word to me since it's pretty difficult to make an average mod with SoRMaker, but I must admit there is nothing outstanding in this one, but there is nothing that break fun or break game and it's enjoyable.

Now I will make a list of what could be change, but it's just my opinion.
1/ Story
I like the story, it was entertaining. Nostalgia talk since I'm a SoR fan and it's a SoR related story with SoR Universe (layers for scenes/stages)
=> However, i'm not native english speaker and I think that slowing down some text bubble would help a bit since it scroll a bit too fast for me.

2/ Palette
The palette you use for mook is average. Sometime colors for mook does not match up with other and it feel like 'random color pick up' but it's ok: Nothing hurt eyes lol
=> average work here, can be improve but not needed.

3/ Enemy placement
some mooks jump down or appears from nowhere and shadow intros is not well used (ie: road)
=> That combine with palette scheme break the ambient of the mod from time to time, but once again no game breaker here.

4/ Battle Design
The cons:
-Many ninja2/ninjos/trucker beer (can be tedious)
-Biker with ton of life but alone (really don't understand, not hard, just boring)
The pros:
-Souther as a sub boss (good idea)
-Twins as higher tiers mooks (excellent idea)
=> You break some "battle design" rules here, and as my breakdown explain it, it can be for the good or for the worst. Another "rule breaking" is using tough Boss for 1st stage, and weakers Bosses later.
Some very difficult battle are put here and there that come to break the flow.

Conclusion: The battles get tougher and tougher as the stages goes on, but some inconsistancy here and there

5/ Difficulty
- quite long mode. It's hard to keep focusing for long playthrough but it's doable.
- some battle could be tough but police counter act. You definitly insist to make player use police (dialog + police pick up here and there) so I must say that I use police a bit more than usual to clear some battle effeciently but also to speed up the flow since the mod is pretty long.
- food is ok, but can be adjusted (more here less there), but no real problem here
- lots of cody and extra life. I do not know if it was intended but you put a lot of "Cody Default" that give you extra lives. I think that this combine with police pick up reduce the challenge a lot. On the other hand, I don't know if I could beat your mod without those.

6/ theme
- some trouble with random overuse stage (punisher/pretty soldier sailor moon/boat)
You choose a SoR Universe theme which I like but it seems a bit ruined by those "out of universe stage" that are not original since we see them in many other mods. I think stick to the SoR Layers would give more identity to your mod.
Exception: last stage is great, I really like the work you put in this one.

About Biker Note:
For biker that cross the screen only one time with very low life, you should put the value : 8HP.
Why?
Because every character can kill them with one jump kick
Most modders put them the 12HP value (Axel2/Blaze2/Skate2 can't one jump kick kill them but every other can) but it is not very fair to me.

Give them more than 16HP if you want people can't  1 jump kick kill
Give them 8HP if you want people to 1 jump kick kill
Every in-between value just feel unfair IMO.

Conclusion:
Lots of critism here since you ask for a way to improve your work, but it is ok, the story and the theme are really cool, adjustement is needed only to add identity and consistancy, but the mod work.
6 out of 10

Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there."

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for your input, BigDarsh. I'll also wait for what other players have to say about this one, look at all the responses together, and make whatever changes are needed accordingly. What say the rest of you? Smile

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarma Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Well, I finished your mod. Smile

Firts of all, it's a good idea to put the story in the SoR universe. Very Happy However, you could change colours, with evening instead of night, etc. Some stages have a "jpeg" style, what happened? Shocked 
You could make more animated backgrounds. For exemple, the final one from Art of Fighting 3.

Swapping musics, why not. It's difficult for me but for another person, it could be ok. I should personnaly put other remixes from SoR Remake soundtrack, but in the "right" stages.
The boss theme (from SoR Remake 4.0) is great, I love it! I love you 

The difficult is hard for me, I often used the Police button. Embarassed I saw you didn't consider the differents levels (ennemies wich appear from Hard level, or bosses more resistant as the difficulty increases). I think you should.

Ok, when I read my post, I think I only say cons. I enjoyed your mod, that's the reason why I think you can improve it. Smile
Tarma
Tarma
Forum Elder

http://neogeospirit.pagesperso-orange.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Okay, first of all, thank you for your review. And I think I'll take the opportunity to address some of the points you've raised in your write-up.

Tarma wrote:However, you could change colours, with evening instead of night, etc.
Many of the stage scenes that were used, did not have separate layers; so, those stages that had set times of day attached to them, a couple of them just came that way. I do not have the skill or the tools to rip stages or stage scenes for myself to do a mix-and-mash, nor would I have the time to do so anyway, given my own real-life situation.

Tarma wrote:Some stages have a "jpeg" style, what happened? Shocked
That's how some of the stage pictures were saved. I personally don't see the big difference or big deal.

Tarma wrote:You could make more animated backgrounds. For exemple, the final one from Art of Fighting 3.
See my first response, re my lack of equipment, skill or time to make such stuff. Also, places like VgMaps, where I got a lot of my stage scenes from, don't have multiple layers to provide the option for animated scenes.

Tarma wrote:The boss theme (from SoR Remake 4.0) is great, I love it! I love you 
Yeah, I think it's very cool too. ^_^

Tarma wrote:The difficult is hard for me, I often used the Police button. Embarassed I saw you didn't consider the differents levels (ennemies wich appear from Hard level, or bosses more resistant as the difficulty increases). I think you should.
I didn't set any of the enemies to any particular difficulty level when I was putting them in; I just picked enemies and put them where I thought they would fit in best.

Once again, thanks for the review!

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarma Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Shadow Fist King wrote:Many of the stage scenes that were used, did not have separate layers; so, those stages that had set times of day attached to them, a couple of them just came that way. I do not have the skill or the tools to rip stages or stage scenes for myself to do a mix-and-mash, nor would I have the time to do so anyway, given my own real-life situation.
Ok, I understand. If you want, here is a small present, the final stage with animation (and the armchair perfectly centered, when the screen goes on):

The background (layer value: 1)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance 4rylBS3

The armchair (layer value: 10)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance SvX21yI

Animation
(layer value: 20)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance EOMoJxt
(layer value: 21 and 29)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance OMEaOYE
(layer value: 22 and 28)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance AMrxSLZ
(layer value: 23 and 27)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance ZWMMuhg
(layer value: 24 and 26)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance Ks0rWOP
(layer value: 25)
Streets of Rage: Syndicate Vengeance JDZvNuQ

I tried it, it works perfectly. I hope this will help you. Smile
Tarma
Tarma
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Much appreciated. I'll try it out later. Smile Although, to be perfectly honest, I wish I had the tools, skill and time to make animated backgrounds as the more experienced modders here are able to do, but the plain and simple is, I don't have them, plus I have to prioritize things that are more important in life than SoRR (and yes, there are such things). So, when I find a stage scene or map that seems to mesh with what I want, whether it's got layers for animation or the whole map is present in one solid-frozen package, I just use what I can use, and don't see the big deal. Whether animated or not, isn't the completion of the mod the most important thing?

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarma Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:53 am

You are welcome. Smile

Hmmm, I personnaly think the two are equal. Smile But it's only my mind, I don't know very well the modders "scene" (I was surprised about the Sailor Moon stages, for example).

Last edited by Tarma on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tarma
Tarma
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Morning, all. I played the mod through last night, and in doing so I noticed a very glaring continuity error within the mod's story itself. So sorry! Embarassed Now I'll have to go back, revise the script, possibly change the ending, and make sure everything's tightened up - as well as make some of the shots for the pre-stage dialogues look even a little bit neater, while I'm at it. Look out for an updated version of "Syndicate Vengeance" coming very soon!

EDIT: As promised, "Syndicate Vengeance 1.1" is now here! The download link is provided above in the first post, but here it is again for your convenience:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/03qve8uawgfnoon/Syndicate_Vengeance_1.zip

And the "Enemies" folder for the mod:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x9cson4t1x8jyon/enemies.zip

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarma Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Shadow Fist King wrote:EDIT: As promised, "Syndicate Vengeance 1.1" is now here!
I played the 1.1 version.

I enjoyed it, but it is a bit difficult for me. Razz 
You have improved the last scene with pictures I gave you, good. Smile But be careful, you applied a positive value, we can't see it! Applie -20 to the armchair and -10 to the window and it will work.
Tarma
Tarma
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Shiva Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Is it a Rage Fighter parody?

Signal

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089480096

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Shiva wrote:Is it a Rage Fighter parody?

No, it's not. I will acknowledge that I don't even know what Rage Fighter is.

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Shiva Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Shadow Fist King wrote:I will acknowledge that I don't even know what Rage Fighter is.

It is a mod by maruf1001, parody of Street Fighter. If you don't know, check out.

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Update to everyone: I'm adding a few new intricacies to the mod for a wider playing experience and deeper plot digging...hopefully I will soon be finished! Keep an eye open for when I finish; I'll let you know how soon and when!

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Shiva Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:18 pm

OK, I'm waiting! Good Luck! Wink

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 pm

One thing I will say about the newest updates to the mod, without giving away spoilers: I've begun incorporating alternate paths into certain segments of the stages, both for greater diversity and because I think it'll allow for bigger surprises along the way. I just need to flesh out how some of those stages will go, and then... ^_^

EDIT: OKAY! Updating done! Below is the download link for the updated 1.2 edition of this mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fubxbbuwhh9pt3l/Syndicate_Vengeance_1.2.zip

And the enemies folder for this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2jhqhftb9gcjc4d/enemies.zip

Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down