SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle for Rio Updated v1.7

+21
Sshadow5001
Security
cabo-hicks
graylandertagger
thenomad
William Assunção
Ducobson
metalnat111
Tarma
Zarzak
bazzza
KFCutman
vince
iceweb38
DarkThief
BigDarsh
celestinx
Don Vecta
Charco
Mr.Din
oracle
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 Empty Battle for Rio Updated v1.7

Post  oracle Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:12 am

Hello! This is my first Mod and my first post Smile I hope you enjoy and tell me if you like!

Battle for Rio

Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 1679z6d Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 110f6zbBattle for Rio Updated v1.7 Abqq3a Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 2w23ody

The Syndicate is back trying to re-establish itself as a global
organization, this time with headquarters in Rio de Janeiro. Axel, Blaze
and team travel to Brazil to contain the new threat.

As soon as they arrive they see themselves in the middle of a battle for
the control of the city, on which the Syndicate tries to intimidate the
local authorities by attacking them directly.

After two months Suicidal of development, Battle for Rio is here. It is inspired
by real events that took place in Rio (see the inspiration section). It
combines original stages, and revamped and extended ones, with tons of
new breakable objects (SORR 5.1 is needed), new characters, custom
soundtrack and effects, a good end and a bad end.

Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 Ounkwj Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 2urrrpl Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 51a36c Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 27y1ox3

Shiva, Rudra, Blaze, Ash and Zan play major roles in the story. The new
enemies include two samurai with new magic capabilities (Shinkiro &
Kurayami), Bianca (V for Vinegar movement), Brito (Rudra's security
guard, not that she actually needs one), Eliza & Beth and Midori.

Minimal Requirements

You will need SORR 5.1 to run this mod - If you use the old, 5.0 version
things will be horribly broken Crying or Very sad (and there will be no way to finish the
game, objects will be misplaced, portraits will be missing, etc).

Custom palettes - The custom palettes included with this mod are an
essential part of it. It's not just a cosmetic thing, some stages will
not work as expected if you are using the default SORR color palettes.
They also contain the new enemy names.

Mod Inspiration

Stage 1 - The urban street with trees is inspired by Copacabana avenues.
The 2010 occupation of the German's Complex (a group of favelas in Rio)
served as inspiration for the final scene. It happened as a response to
attacks against the police.
Stage 2 - The vandals blocking the road are chanting "Vem pra rua"
("Come to the street"). This was the anthem of the protests (aka
V for Vinegar movement) that happened in 2013. It was a non-violent
movement, peaceful until it was infiltrated by vandals.
Stage 3 - A SOR game without a beach would be incomplete, so here we have
the Copacabana beach. The burglar is saying "Give me your cellphone,
bro." In scene 3, the music says "dance of the kangaroo".
Stage 4 - The discos The Girl and The Boy are inspired by the Le Boy and
La Girl discos in Copacabana. Both in the same street block with a bar
in between (Le Boy Bar).
Stage 5 - The Ninja trench and dojo. Here you will meet the new samurai
men, Shinkiro & Kurayami.
Stage 6 - This is dedicated to the robots and Zan. Some inspiration come
from Ghost in the Shell and Shadowrun's matrix.
Stage 7 - Carnival and Ella Club.
Stage 8 - The final battle.

Special thanks to the developers of other SORR mods - I used some of your sprites. Credits
can be found when finishing the game.  Wink

Code:

Download link (v1.7 - 2018)
http://www.mediafire.com/?yhruyojxrpydouo

Old version (v1.6 - 2016)
https://www.mediafire.com/?iud846dqizbv7to

Old version (v1.4.1)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mlhya7kp7svvaiq/
or
http://www.4shared.com/zip/q1gczvv9ba/BATTLE_FOR_RIO_V14_FOR_SORR51_.html
or (v1.4)
https://mega.nz/#!zAhimQaa!bQEg2WcksW9YVw7l3_U3zPRVCQhmJdGIgbmA5GHEgdY

Video about the mod:

Recording (by Vecta):

Onyx (Oracle)

Last edited by oracle on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 13 times in total
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 Empty Re: Battle for Rio Updated v1.7

Post  Mr.Din Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:13 am

you might want to reupload that, you put the entire game in the file, all you need to have is the mod folder, custom palettes and whatever data modifications you have for the mod if any.

Forum Elder

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:16 am

Done Mr.Din! Just re-uploaded and replaced the link in my post _o/
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:50 am

Some nice graphics there! I will download today after work Very Happy

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:33 am

Yesss.... fresh blood, new mods and by the screenshots, it looks sexy~!

I'm getting this. Gonna do a recording as well as soon as it's "unboxed". Razz

EDIT: BTW, I did a quick skim in the mod through SORmaker (force of habit, never play it from there, though) and saw several stages I personally designed for Adam's Story (the church, the office building), I'd appreciate if you could put my credit on it because... well, I created those stages exclusively for Adam's Story and I don't see any mention of our mod in the credits. Just sayin'.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am

Don Vecta wrote:Yesss.... fresh blood, new mods and by the screenshots, it looks sexy~!

I'm getting this. Gonna do a recording as well as soon as it's "unboxed". Razz

EDIT: BTW, I did a quick skim in the mod through SORmaker (force of habit, never play it from there, though) and saw several stages I personally designed for Adam's Story (the church, the office building), I'd appreciate if you could put my credit on it because... well, I created those stages exclusively for Adam's Story and I don't see any mention of our mod in the credits. Just sayin'.

Same goes for me and iceweb38 if that Entertainment Street stage is from my mod Wink

*/

Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Golden rule if you're going to build from the scenes of other mods.
Give credit, give credit, give love. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  celestinx Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Do not discourage new modders, he did say to check the readme file for credits

Special thanks to the developers of other SORR mods, especially Path of
Shadow Dancer and Brutal Justice - I used some of your sprites. More credits
can be found in the Readme!!!.txt file.

I will download this mod, but, i have no time to play it yet, next in line is the sor2 collection then this one.
celestinx
celestinx
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:37 pm

celestinx wrote:Do not discourage new modders, he did say to check the readme file for credits

No no no, for the record, we ain't discouraging him at all. I read the readme and no, we are not being credited, this is why I'm saying this and I think it is fair to all of us to make it clear.

Regardless, just finished my first run and boy, despite these graphical issues, I'm impressed! This mod is really well constructed.

I'm uploading the first run and will do a proper review as soon I play the other two endings (when I get rid of my gf nagging me around, lol) Razz

But at least, as first impression, I loved it! Very Happy

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:26 pm

Don Vecta, Charco and anyone I forgot to mention - I will update the credits soon to add you. CajNatalie - Agree! I don't see any of these comments as discouraging Smile
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:02 pm

No problem, I look forward to playing the mod!

*/

Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Alright, played the mod 3 times in a row (thought there were 3 endings according to the Choose your Destiny screen of 3 paths, two of them lead to the same ending), so, here are my gameplay videos (didn't record the 3rd, it was shit)

"Good" Ending route.

Worst path route ever.

So here's my honest, blunt but constructive review of this mod (WARNING! Spoiler Alert).

First of all, congratulations and welcome to the tiny but awesome world of SORmaker mods. You definitely started with the right foot on this mod. 

It is always good to see new ideas brewing in the mod scene, despite the technical limitations. This mod brings a lot of new fresh air and something I didn't see before in a mod: a love letter to a city.

Spoiler:

Conclusion. To be your very first mod, it is certainly a work beyond the average. The whole design, idea, layout, creative usage of maps, layers, breakables and palettes was amazing. It was an almost complete work. It needs a conclusion. It needs a reward for playing it (it is NOT an easy mod). Also, the game needs more balance in certain boss areas and that fucking church route! Nobody uses x9 bosses anymore, nevertheless 5 bosses like that! If you manage to tweak these problems, I'm sure the mod will become a classic, because it is quite well constructed.

And if you do the endings with credits, please add our correspondent credit from our work. I think we deserve it.

I do hope this is not your last mod. You have potential to deliver even more fantastic works than this one. Well done.

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:55 pm

I needed a break from testing my own shit. This mod arrived at the perfect time. Razz

This mod is extremely innovative, especially for new blood. I wasn't ready for any of it.
Layers, breakables, Maker functions, cutscene art. You took the ingredients and you transformed them into a new world.

Now for the problems! Twisted Evil
Ambients should not be balanced/normalised like music. They should be notably quieter in 99% of cases. Yes it's a loud atmosphere, but you don't want to put the player off with all the sounds getting in the way of the music. Keep one of them at full volume, sure... just not all of them.

Inside Mark 2, there is a small off-screen pit to the right, followed by floor.
If enemies are sent past the pit they get stuck, and cannot be reached even by Blaze3's kikoushou or those barrels.
GAME BREAKER
Solution 1: Keep the pit. Extend it to cover the entire end (so there is no floor to get an enemy stuck in), and put an escape GO at the very end of the floor so the player can leave.
Solution 2: Remove the pit.

Challenge was fun, but flow was uneven - this is a given for new blood, and something you can master over time.
No ending, after all the work and effort making Rio come alive... it was sad it just stopped without closing the final chapter.

Please don't use Don Oro and the Chief as a cameo in plain sight of the team. This was awkward to see when this goes against the way they would behave in how they were designed.

Anyway, you clearly have a lot of talent, and potential to become even better in future.
Thank you for stepping up and sharing this.

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:30 am

Natalie - Thanks for your kind words! I started the mod with 5.0, then when I went through the 5.1 changelog my reaction was "I have to use some of this new stuff! Surprised " Now for the problems (I was actually hoping for criticism) can you say which scenes have these excesses (slum occupation? the girl disco?).

Inside Mark 2 (you are all playing with the hard level or above Shocked), I removed the enemies from the normal mode exactly because of these "enemies getting stuck" issue. I tried many fixes, and none of them worked. I will remove the enemies from the hard level as well.

Sorry for the lack of a proper ending. I see Don Vecta with the same kind of disappointment. Just give me a few days to cook up something better for the ending study

CajNatalie wrote:Please don't use Don Oro and the Chief as a cameo in plain sight of the team. This was awkward to see when this goes against the way they would behave in how they were designed.
what was this about? I'm lost
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:36 am

Ambient6 was painfully loud. On a second listen the rest are all okay.
It's just 6 that really needs attention.

Battle for Rio Updated v1.7 Please10
^Please either remove these guys, or edit until they look different.
Don Oro's character concept is subtle and cautious. He would never be standing out there comfortable.
Razz

Everything else you used is all good, and very well used to create new scenes.
Don Oro & his brother just felt really out of place because they're... still Don Oro and his brother...

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:36 am

Don - Thanks for the critics and review, I appreciate it! It was fun to watch you playing Smile There are really just two endings, not three as it gave the impression (got to remove that extra Go). More comments within the spoiler:

Spoiler:

I do hope this is not your last mod. You have potential to deliver even more fantastic works than this one.

Delighted that you and Natalie liked it so much. I've been thinking about making a second with a different theme Smile

PS: I noticed that you have a different sound for explosions in the video. Where does it come from?
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarsh Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:23 am

Don Vecta and CajNatalie said pretty much all, so can't feedback more. Amazing work for a first try, and very good work overall. Keep doing good job, modders like you are much appreciated around here. Wink

Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there."

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkThief Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:48 am

This sort of thing is to 5.1 what Way of the Warrior, Adam's Story, H.U.N.T.E.R etc. were to 5.0 - some really clever stuff going on, cool atmosphere/music and a challenge to boot.

Does suffer from balancing issues ofc, namely lack of food in some boss fights (esp. the dojo's last bit) and right at the beginning also (stage 1 is horribly balanced food-wise, given how hard it is to avoid the explosions).  And yes, the church fight (the spot where it goes from Streets of Rage to Boss Rushes of Rage)...plenty of ways to fix that. (must've took 8-10 lives off with Skate 2, luckily I had well over 9 when I got there)

Overall though it's definitely up there, just needs a bit of quality control with those issues and it'll be a modern classic Wink

Inside Mark 2, there is a small off-screen pit to the right, followed by floor.
If enemies are sent past the pit they get stuck, and cannot be reached even by Blaze3's kikoushou or those barrels.
GAME BREAKER

I actually beat this (after several restarts ofc) by holding onto the gun and shooting the kickboxer with it. Still needs a fix though.

Edit: also noticed a bug on the boy's disco...the first 2 drinks disappear once you reach the end of the screen and return back for them. (having Abadede in there is a bit overkill too, given it's 5.1 now)
DarkThief
DarkThief
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  iceweb38 Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:30 pm

So I played through this mod today and I have to say, for someone that kinda comes out of the blue, I am impressed by what I've played.

Spoiler:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vince Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:19 am

So I played the mod, and that's a good surprise! The levels are often déjà vu, but you use them in different ways, different colors, etc. and the result is original. The idea of Syndicate in Brazil is simple but efficent, because it gives the opportunity to change the ambience of the story. The cinematics are nice, I appreciate the rough style of the draws. In the game, I especially like the customize objects, the levels with separated parts (for example with cars or with walls), and of course the level in the robot program (hello Morpheus!), very good idea, bravo! About the musics, sometimes it is excellent, sometimes... I don't really like the brazilian rap, maybe it explains it. About that, too bad you didn't use Rap das Armas, this one is fun Wink
vince
vince
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Technical fix: some of your foreground layers can't be clipped completely to the ground (one pixel off). This is a common issue in SORmaker. To make your foregrounds be clipped totally to the bottom, make the layer an uneven number (say, if the height of your layer is 36, make it 37 with the upper part empty with pure black RGB 0 0 0), from there, your foreground will be fully clipped. Smile

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Hello! I just updated the download link and screenshots of my first post. The main changes are:

- Added bats and street lamps to Copacabana streets. Fixed music and
ambient too loud during slum scene.
- Added a restaurant and boss to stage 2. Improved the truck map.
- Added two new scenes (Pink District) and a new boss to stage 3. Fixed
the beach sunlight too bright and bathers popping up out of nowhere.
- Added more enemies to The Girl club in stage 4.
- Better quality for The Boy club music.
- Added new Shinkiro tricks and more enemies to the dojo scene in
stage 5.
- Added flying drones, intro and more enemies to stage 6 and removed
enemies from the VR platforms.
- Added a new club, boss and story character as part of stage 7.
Re-imagined the church route, removed the bad ending and fixed some
bad pixels.
- Added new scenes and an alternate path as part of stage 8. Replaced
Don Oro and Chief in the building entrance.
- Added the missing ending with credits.
- Improved ambient effects.
- More balance: reduced the number of bosses with low energy or too
much energy, and added missing food to boss and major conflict areas.
- Redesigned title screen.
- Fixed: cars not fully clipped to the ground.
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Code:
Yeah, we actually DID see a love letter to a country or a city before and that was Way of Warrior.
Like Nomad, you wanted to make a tribute to the place you're living/lived in and it definitely boosted your creativity and, while your work was definitely not as complex as what Nomad did, your mod gave me the same feeling of travelling somewhere I haven't been yet, like in Japan with Way of Warrior and in Rio with your mod

iceweb, yes! Way of Warrior definitely served as inspiration! I played it way before making the game. Smile
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Such a fast and thorough update. Very Happy
This is one of the mods in my list to replay when I need another break. Thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 pm

CajNatalie wrote:Such a fast and thorough update. Very Happy
This is one of the mods in my list to replay when I need another break. Thumbs up

Hope you like the changes Smile

PS: I've added you, Don, others to the credits list o/
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next