SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux

+6
TheDrifter363
ChesterNut999
deathxxx
JamesTCat
jurgens
DrJuano
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Empty SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux

Post  Broscar Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Readme: sorr_duo1.5_README.md
Download: sorr_duo1.5_x86_64.flatpak

linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Noshad10linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Crt-lo11

Features:
  • Easy installation on any 64-bit Linux distribution.
  • Includes both SoRR v5.1 and SoRR v5.2, with separate saves.
  • Pixel-perfect OpenGL integer scaling with automatic letterboxing/pillarboxing.
  • GLSL shader support. Preview of included shaders.
  • Proper fullscreen that doesn't change your display output mode.
  • Much improved window handling. Special function keys (like volume buttons) and alt-tabbing should work as expected.

Last edited by Broscar on Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:50 am; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : sorr_duo1.5 update)
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

deathxxx likes this post

Back to top Go down

linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Empty Re: SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux

Post  DrJuano Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:23 pm

I'm very grateful! Awesome!

DrJuano
Galsia

Back to top Go down

linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Empty Re: SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux

Post  jurgens Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:21 pm

Works great! Can you tell me how to play mods with this? I've tried copying mod files everywhere but I keep seeing an empty mod list in the game.

jurgens

Back to top Go down

Post  JamesTCat Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:20 am

New here, I am trying to load mods into my linux streets of rage remake. Where do I send the mods to install? I tried everything and it still doesn't get detected.

JamesTCat

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:20 pm

Please, make a SorR v5.2 flatpak! Smile

deathxxx
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:15 am

I've uploaded a new flatpak for v5.2.

It now stores the mod folder in ~/.var/app/nl.broscar.sorr/data so that you can alter it's contents. Technically the entire package should be able to run SorMaker, but whenever I try to fire it up, it just straight up segfaults on me. I don't know if it requires some funky filesystem access or if it's because I run it with the latest version of BennuGD, but if anyone has a clue, please let me know why SorMaker is throwing a hissy fit and I'll try to fix it (and implement it for the v5.1 package as well).

Either way I didn't want to postpone this release just for that. I'll spend some more time debugging it later, but if it's some core Linux incompatibility issue with BennuGD, it's out of my hands.
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am

Broscar wrote:I've uploaded a new flatpak for v5.2.

It now stores the mod folder in ~/.var/app/nl.broscar.sorr/data so that you can alter it's contents. Technically the entire package should be able to run SorMaker, but whenever I try to fire it up, it just straight up segfaults on me. I don't know if it requires some funky filesystem access or if it's because I run it with the latest version of BennuGD, but if anyone has a clue, please let me know why SorMaker is throwing a hissy fit and I'll try to fix it (and implement it for the v5.1 package as well).

Either way I didn't want to postpone this release just for that. I'll spend some more time debugging it later, but if it's some core Linux incompatibility issue with BennuGD, it's out of my hands.
Its working out of the box from Pop!_OS 20.10 with almost fresh install! Should work with EndlessOS too.
Thank you for that!

deathxxx
Galsia

Broscar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:43 pm

Can you make OpenBOR version of SorR with flatpak?
As i see, OpenBOR have a Linux version too.

deathxxx
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:10 am

For Ubuntu 20.04 need libvpx.so.5 library file and libsdl2-gfx-1.0-0 package installed
And i just use precompiled binary OpenBOR and all is working very great with full wide screen and game run super smooth.

deathxxx
Galsia

Back to top Go down

linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Empty Slowdonw during the play

Post  ChesterNut999 Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi guys! Good work! I'm really happy!

I have some problems with the game on Fedora 34.
Often, a lot of slowness happens during the game. I have the impression that it is only running at 30fps.

Is there a configuration file to modify or improve the fps?

Att,
ChesterNut999

ChesterNut999

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:33 pm

Running in fullscreen with widescreen turned on? Check your CPU usage, it's probably spiking hard.
Turn off widescreen if you want to play fullscreen, or set the game to windowed mode in widescreen. 5.2's widescreen implementation is pretty buggy.
Potential fix soon.
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:50 am

Doublepost! I think it's warranted  bounce

I've finally released the big update.
SoRR v5.2 and v5.1 in one easy package.
OpenGL GPU acceleration.
Shader support.

The installation of the entire thing requires like 2 extra steps now (couldn't include the OpenGL wrapper in the flatpak, unfortunately), but I've kept it nice and easy.
Due to a lack of testers, I can only guarantee that it works on Fedora and Ubuntu (+ Ubuntu-based derivatives). It should work on most distributions, though you might have to dig around a bit to get the proper package names for all dependencies.

Nintendo Switch port is semi-cancelled. As in it's technically finished, but building it takes absolutely ages and from what I can tell they don't actually care.

Why it took so long:
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Don Vecta likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:53 pm

Broscar wrote:Doublepost! I think it's warranted  bounce

I've finally released the big update.
SoRR v5.2 and v5.1 in one easy package.
OpenGL GPU acceleration.
Shader support.

The installation of the entire thing requires like 2 extra steps now (couldn't include the OpenGL wrapper in the flatpak, unfortunately), but I've kept it nice and easy.
Due to a lack of testers, I can only guarantee that it works on Fedora and Ubuntu (+ Ubuntu-based derivatives). It should work on most distributions, though you might have to dig around a bit to get the proper package names for all dependencies.

Nintendo Switch port is semi-cancelled. As in it's technically finished, but building it takes absolutely ages and from what I can tell they don't actually care.

Why it took so long:

### Installing dependency for compiling wraper for Arch/Manjaro linux:
1. Important: Install dependency first, compile then install the game, or the game will not launch and you will need reinstall from flatpack.
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy make gcc xorg-server-xvfb base-devel
2. reboot
3. cd to sorr_wrapper_v1.00 dir and compile wrapper with:
make && make install
4. Install the game from flatpak game location
Code:
flatpak --user install sorr-duo_v1.00_x86-64.flatpak
flatpak --user install flathub org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386//19.08
5. Prevent the Compat.i386//19.08 from updating with:
Code:
flatpak --user pin runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386//19.08
Then you can start from
Code:
sorr_wrapper_v1.00/src/sorr_launcher.sh
or from Start menu -->> Games--> Streets of Rage Remake
6. Play with great speed and smooth!!!!

EDIT: Just one little bug: The game launching with black screen with my save from normal sorr game, but with clean new start is OK.

Exelent work Broscar

deathxxx
Galsia

Broscar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:04 am

Thanks deathxxx! Both for the kind words and the Arch/Manjaro instructions.
They were also one of the few testers I could rely on. The easy v5.1/v5.2 switch was implemented thanks to them Very Happy

I've got 2 more bits of info:
You don't have to write the full path ( sorr_wrapper_v1.00/src/sorr_launcher.sh ) to launch the game from a terminal.
You can just write "sorr_launcher" and it should work. In fact, you can remove the entire sorr_wrapper_v1.00 folder after you've installed everything.

The other bit is that your old savegame is probably set to the wrong graphics mode.
From USAGE.md:
Important: In-game GRAPHIC MODE options are broken and can result in a black screen if set to anything but NORMAL. If this happens and you can't recover from it in-game, you'll have to manually remove your savegame to reset it.
However, there's a trick to change it without removing your savegame.
If you run the command flatpak run nl.broscar.sorr, you can start the game without the wrapper. That way you can change the GRAPHIC MODE option, then quit the game and fire it up again with sorr_launcher (or the menu shortcut) to activate the wrapper again.
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:19 am

After kill last boss i can say, that:
Some from last levels have some performance issues.
But most issue is that:
When you hit someone, there are still some freezing frames to you and that you hit. Everyone else are not freezing and can still move and hit you.
Making combos with this freezing frames are a pain, and in fact combos are so slow, that most of time you just cannot do full combo and enemy escape or hit you.
It will be much better if this freezing frames are removed or everyone on display have freeze during my freeze too.
Still in original SorR v5 there are no freeze frames and you can do combos really smooth.
So after all, even at my level of skills i die a lot with normal difficulty, mostly because that freezing during hits.
Some demonstration from original SorR v5, see the smoothness of combos:

Absolutely not a single freeze frames with combos.

deathxxx
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:33 pm

Yeah, the increased hitstop in v5.2 is a questionable change.
It's even worse in SoR4...
At least we've still got v5.1

Last edited by Broscar on Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:49 am

Broscar wrote:Yeah, the increased hitstop in v5.2 is a questionable change.
It's even worse in SoR4... https://broscar.nl/files/sor4_hitstop.webm
At least we've still got v5.1
In SorR 4 is very ok, In normal combos don't have freezing, and combos are not breaking.
Also i do not notice how to change to SorR 5.1...

deathxxx
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  deathxxx Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:12 am

Some info about: USAGE.md in sorr_wrapper_v.1.00:

Flatpak has a tendency to remove the compat runtime when the user runs `flatpak remove --unused`. This can be prevented by running the following command (requires at least flatpak version 1.5.0):

Code:
flatpak --user pin runtime/org.freedesktop.Platform.Compat.i386//19.08
That one return:
Code:
error: 'pin' is not a flatpak command. Did you mean 'run'?

deathxxx
Galsia

snailrun likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDrifter363 Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:36 am

Hey Broscar,

Do you have any plans to get this working with Wayland? Any idea why it's not supported? Is it just the OpenGL wrapper that's not compatible? If you can't get it to work, it's all good. Just curious.

TheDrifter363

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:00 am

SoRR_duo flatpak 1.1

• Integrated sorr_wrapper.
  • Updated flatpak runtime to freedesktop 21.08.
  • Removed Steam overlay bypass. If you used the Steam overlay to check your FPS, you can now do so by running LIBGL_SHOW_FPS=1 flatpak run nl.broscar.sorr from a terminal instead.

It might not seem like much, but this was a nightmare to accomplish.
It's no 1-click install, but running 3 short commands in a terminal is about as user-friendly as Linux is gonna get.

This was the final hurdle I had to conquer for me to consider SoRR on Linux to be a truly good experience.
Frankly I think it's the best SoRR experience.
I'm not expecting any more updates to this for the time being. Maybe I'll rewrite it to support Wayland once distros start fully dropping X11, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

---
TheDrifter363 wrote:Hey Broscar,

Do you have any plans to get this working with Wayland? Any idea why it's not supported? Is it just the OpenGL wrapper that's not compatible? If you can't get it to work, it's all good. Just curious.
Wayland is still missing a lot of functionality. While it has certainly matured a lot the past 2 years, I still consider it to be in its infancy. Had I somehow found a way to hack together a working solution, it would be at risk of breaking with an update to any of it's components.
Swapping between the 2 is fast and easy on pretty much all current distributions, so it didn't seem worth the trouble to me.
Xorg sucks in a lot of ways and I'd love to be able to just yeet it out of everything I own, but it's still an undeniably strong piece of software.

deathxxx wrote:
Code:
error: 'pin' is not a flatpak command. Did you mean 'run'?
Pin was added to flatpak version 1.5.0 in late 2019.
Even Debian stable has flatpak 1.10.3, and Debian folk are known for running old versions of software as long as they can.
I hope you've upgraded your OS by now, but if you haven't, please consider doing so.
Having said that, the pin command is not vital to actually running the game, you can ignore it. It's only there to prevent flatpak from uninstalling the 32-bit compatibility runtime (https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/3094).
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Back to top Go down

linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Empty sorr_duo1.2 update

Post  Broscar Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:07 pm

Happy new year, everyone!
Have a good 2023. Glory to Ukraine.

I've fixed all of the dead links, and took the opportunity to update the flatpak for the latest freedesktop runtime (22.08 as of the time of writing).
That runtime will be supported till 2024/08, so we'll be good for a while.
Functionality has not changed compared to version 1.1 of the flatpak, but I recommend updating regardless. It takes very little time and doesn't affect your savedata anyway.

SoRR_duo flatpak 1.2
  • Updated flatpak runtime to freedesktop 22.08
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

MARTIN98 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:40 am

SoRR_duo flatpak 1.3
  • Upgraded the included x11_opengl_wrapper. Key changes:
    • Internal logic runs at quadruple the rendering FPS to increase responsiveness
    • Vsync is now controlled by the application itself
    • Frametime consistency of the framerate limiter has been improved
    • Mouse movement and positioning has been greatly improved
My recent reawakening got me wondering if Wayland has finally reached the milestones required for me to support it.
Unfortunately, no. In addition, Valve's gamescope is already out, and it's supposed to outright replace my wrapper entirely.

Gamescope offers similar functionality, it works on Wayland, it has a whole bunch of clever people contributing to it, and it's written by paid (read: loyal & consistent) employees.
That's great news, right? This means I get to spend more time actually playing games rather than writing software to support them!

Well, I'm still hoping for that future, but right now gamescope still has a fair number of issues. Some of them are significant enough to make gamescope unusable to me.
This led to me decoupling sorr_wrapper from this project and giving it a fresh coat of paint. It's now called x11_opengl_wrapper, it works with a lot of (retro) games, and any upgrades it gets will flow back into this flatpak bundle.

PS: Sorry for doubletripleposting. I wish more people left messages :')

Edit:
SoRR_duo flatpak 1.4
  • Restored savestate functionality
I might've accidentally broken this feature last night :p

Edit2:
SoRR_duo flatpak 1.5
  • Fixed error that prevented shaders from loading
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDrifter363 Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:56 pm

Broscar,

Thanks so much for continuing to work on this! I appreciate it man.

Do you think gamescope is going to be better than wayland then? I have a steam deck, and it'd be great to get it working on there. I haven't actually tried it. Do you plan to work on gamescope one day? I think that's neat.

Also, have you tried to capture gameplay with obs' game-capture? I think I've had issues with that functionality with flatpak games. I'm not sure though. It's been a while since I last tested it out.

Keep it up man! I know programming can go through with its ups and downs. I gotta improve myself. Maybe one day I'd be able to help you out.

TheDrifter363

Back to top Go down

Post  Broscar Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:04 pm

Hey hey,
Thanks for the kind words!

I'll cook up a flatpak bundle soon-ish that allows you to easily fire up the game without the integrated wrapper. That should make it compatible with gamescope.
I'll look into automatically enabling it if the launcher detects Steam OS as well.

I use obs-gamecapture myself, but I can't test it with OpenGL applications. It should just work though, granted the user doesn't have an Nvidia GPU.
Broscar
Broscar
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceferno Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:43 pm

Broscar wrote:linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Noshad10linux - SoRR flatpak & OpenGL wrapper for Linux Crt-lo11
August 2019... wow, I had no idea how far back these 5.2 scenes went. I kinda wish the Waterfront section was longer. It was really fascinating to play through, especially the actual physics of the water jets when fighting enemies through them.

Big-Ben

https://iceferno.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next