SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streets of Kamurocho

+9
E253MechaShadow
Security
Xillatem
SORDave
Don Vecta
graylandertagger
SpideyKeiiti
Iceferno
DamianD
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Streets of Kamurocho

Post  DamianD Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Streets of Kamurocho limited time mini game mash up of Yakuza and Sor2 available Oct 17 to 19.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368430/Streets_Of_Kamurocho/

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Streets of Kamurocho Empty Re: Streets of Kamurocho

Post  Iceferno Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Preview video:

Looks like it'll be fun! Has more of a Scott Pilgrim game look with the SOR2 hud, but I'm curious to try it.

Big-Ben

https://iceferno.com

DamianD likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  SpideyKeiiti Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Iceferno wrote:Preview video:

Looks like it'll be fun! Has more of a Scott Pilgrim game look with the SOR2 hud, but I'm curious to try it.

There's a boss with same Barbon's moveset and voice. I hope it not being only a spriteswap from SOR2 Rolling Eyes

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Iceferno wrote:Preview video:

I just downloaded it and am about to play. I here it's only available for a short bit and aren't sure if, after two days it will disappear from my steam library. That said anyone interested in me giving a shot at ripping the graphics backgrounds. Might be work being put in a free to use stages archive.
https://sorr.forumotion.net/t825-free-to-use-stages
graylandertagger
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceferno Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:17 pm

I'm told it will stay in your Steam account after delisting, so I hope that's true.
I might have to get any footage I want recorded before the 19th just incase.

I've played it now. I enjoyed it, even if it's basically just a reskin of SOR2 Stage 1. I really like the Japanese city backdrop.

Big-Ben

SpideyKeiiti likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  SpideyKeiiti Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Iceferno wrote:I'm told it will stay in your Steam account after delisting, so I hope that's true.
I might have to get any footage I want recorded before the 19th just incase.

I've played it now. I enjoyed it, even if it's basically just a reskin of SOR2 Stage 1. I really like the Japanese city backdrop.

Every character got Axel's moveset, I've played untill stage 6 ;/ I'll put the video here soon

Edit: Here is the video

Last edited by SpideyKeiiti on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  DamianD Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm

I was really looking forward to playing this but my computer sucks and the game gives me directx 11 error so I watched it on YouTube lol. It looks cool like all the new object sprites.

If anyone sees Baconomelette on the leaderboards thats my brother he is currently number 1 in single player.

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:40 pm

So I also made a previous run of SoK before recording this: it's basically a loop of the same stage and difficulty picks up until reaching Mania style of difficulty. 
So, SOK is mainly a mod based on SOR2, with Chinese Triads, Yakuza and chimpira cosplaying as Galsia, Donnie and Signals. Lau Ka Long takes the place of Jack, Koji Shindo takes the role of Electra (yeah, I know...) and Nishiki is Barbon (yup, bartender Nishiki). Hell, even the extra life from SOR2 is there as well. It also annoyed me that everyone has the same sound from SOR2 instead of using sounds from Yakuza series, looks funny how Lau laughs like Jack.
I love the assets and design overall, it's a shame that Kiryu, Majima and Ichiban are the three of them based on Axel, I think Majima would be looking awesome with the quick style of Skate and Ichiban with Blaze to add more variety.
And what? No love for Akiyama, Saejima, Shinada and Tanimura? HMPH!
Oh well, definitely I need these assets, cuz I'm sure SOK would look better in SORmaker, don't you think, boys and girls? ;-) 

Here's my run with the three characters, didn't bother to loop, just wanted to give a showcase of the three characters. Oh yeah, each of them have their own version of the pipe: Kiry uses the epic traffic cone, Majima his baseball bat from Slugger style and Ichiban a wooden plank.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

DamianD and Puzir like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  SORDave Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Don Vecta wrote:So I also made a previous run of SoK before recording this: it's basically a loop of the same stage and difficulty picks up until reaching Mania style of difficulty. 
So, SOK is mainly a mod based on SOR2, with Chinese Triads, Yakuza and chimpira cosplaying as Galsia, Donnie and Signals. Lau Ka Long takes the place of Jack, Koji Shindo takes the role of Electra (yeah, I know...) and Nishiki is Barbon (yup, bartender Nishiki). Hell, even the extra life from SOR2 is there as well. It also annoyed me that everyone has the same sound from SOR2 instead of using sounds from Yakuza series, looks funny how Lau laughs like Jack.
I love the assets and design overall, it's a shame that Kiryu, Majima and Ichiban are the three of them based on Axel, I think Majima would be looking awesome with the quick style of Skate and Ichiban with Blaze to add more variety.
Oh well, definitely I need these assets, cuz I'm sure SOK would look better in SORmaker, don't you think, boys and girls? ;-) 

Here's my run with the three characters, didn't bother to loop, just wanted to give a showcase of the three characters. Oh yeah, each of them have their own version of the pipe: Kiry uses the epic traffic cone, Majima his baseball bat from Slugger style and Ichiban a wooden plank.

I thought it was an interesting take but yeah I agree with you Don,I bet you can make good use of the stuff for SOR Maker.

SORDave
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  graylandertagger Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 am

SORDave wrote:
Don Vecta wrote:So I also made a previous run of SoK before recording this: it's basically a loop of the same stage and difficulty picks up until reaching Mania style of difficulty. 

I thought it was an interesting take but yeah I agree with you Don,I bet you can make good use of the stuff for SOR Maker.

Somehow I after playing this I can't help, but feel that this was made using the SORR maker. I know it sounds odd, but it feels a bit like that.
graylandertagger
graylandertagger
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Xillatem Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:19 am

Fun for what it is! Would have been nice to have Majima use Skate's moveset though.

I was speaking to one of the devs.  It works the same way as Sonic 3 A.I.R apparently - the actual game engine is running from the original SoR2 ROM underneath everything else.  That's why you can't leave the 4:3 boundry area and sometimes enemies will just appear from nowhere at the edge of the screen.

Anyways, it's nice to be able to play as Ichiban in a game with a proper combat system Razz
Xillatem
Xillatem
SorR Contributor

Don Vecta and SpideyKeiiti like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:36 am

I don't know why, but lookes very one dimensional, boring, uninspired/uninspiring as well as repetitive. I bet all my money, a proper SorRemake mod out of it, would honestly do it some justice. Even if it's free, i won't bother getting. What i am really interested into from Sega sales, though, is the Alpha Version of Golden Axed (axed because cancelled) Remake, from Sega Australia. This beuty would have been a great hit (damn you incompetent Sega!):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1368460/Golden_Axed_A_Cancelled_Prototype/
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  E253MechaShadow Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 pm

This is... an incredibly odd game.

There's little to no story, it is only one level long, but it plays very well, much like a widescreen spriteswap of SOR2's 1st stage. You can play as Axel, Axel, or Axel, they control exactly like in SOR2, have the same movesets and the same physics. It really makes me wish SORR had widescreen support.

Funny thing, I noticed a couple of fishy names in the credits.

- Blargg - a Mario enemy reference, probably some fan
- MarkeyJester - a profound romhacker, known for Dr. Robotnik's Creature Capture and Sonic Next Level. I wonder how he ended up here? scratch
E253MechaShadow
E253MechaShadow
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Don Vecta wrote:It also annoyed me that everyone has the same sound from SOR2 instead of using sounds from Yakuza series, looks funny how Lau laughs like Jack.

Just a theory: they loaded the original SOR2 rom bin and patched the sprites in memory (sort of like sor 2 syndicate wars, but perhaps no change was made to the original rom). They muted the music and added their own track replacement but there was not enough time to figure out how to patch each enemy and player sound effect. Razz
oracle
oracle
Fog

SpideyKeiiti likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Xillatem wrote:Fun for what it is!  Would have been nice to have Majima use Skate's moveset though.

I was speaking to one of the devs.  It works the same way as Sonic 3 A.I.R apparently - the actual game engine is running from the original SoR2 ROM underneath everything else.  That's why you can't leave the 4:3 boundry area and sometimes enemies will just appear from nowhere at the edge of the screen.

Anyways, it's nice to be able to play as Ichiban in a game with a proper combat system Razz

LOL, so it is all an intelligent ROM patch, right?
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  oracle Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm

graylandertagger wrote:Somehow I after playing this I can't help, but feel that this was made using the SORR maker.  I know it sounds odd, but it feels a bit like that.  

It's odd and this may be the future of ROM hacking. Perhaps in the future someone will create a tool that will allow modders to augment and skin classic ROM images like SOR without having to patch the original BIN files. This is just what the authors of SOK appears to have achieved. It would feel like SORR maker in many ways
oracle
oracle
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:46 am

BTW, someone made a hack of the game where you can switch from Kiryu to Majima or Ichiban within the game, considering the three of them are a skin of Axel, there wasn't really any big deal.

Hope they keep hacking or adding more things into it.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

oracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Xillatem Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:08 am

Hopefully someone will port Kiryu to SoR2 proper. Maybe with some altered moves.
Xillatem
Xillatem
SorR Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceferno Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:09 pm

Oh nice idea with that hack. Although I'm guessing the stage music is still based on who you select in the beginning since Funk Goes On plays throughout. Would be a bit disorienting otherwise. lol

Speaking of SoK, I released a small album of original music inspired by the one-stage game.
It's called Kamurocho Of Wrath, and acts as a spinoff to my Streets Of Wrath series.

I'm gonna get started on Yakuza remixes tomorrow as I have one big remix to finish today.

Big-Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Kane Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 am

There's an update to this game pending in my Steam downloads. I've disabled updates, anyone know if content was added?
Kane
Kane
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:24 am

Kane wrote:There's an update to this game pending in my Steam downloads. I've disabled updates, anyone know if content was added?

Nothing special. small cosmetic things, like the sewer popping Donov--- I mean, Chinese triad, now there's a manhole open, something that was amiss in the first version. Besides that, the game is still an endless loop.

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Kane likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  vince Tue May 31, 2022 1:16 pm

For people that miss the game when it was available, you still can download it with this link:
https://steamdb.info/app/1368430/

Besides, I think you need Steam, but Steam is free so that's ok.

I tried it and...  Sad
But I think the SORR mod will be nice!
vince
vince
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceferno Tue May 31, 2022 2:52 pm

vince wrote:I tried it and...  Sad
I still come back to it every now and then. It's a nice way to kill 5-10mins.
I like just going through the redesigned city. They did a great job transforming it.

As for the mod, A lot of us working on it have taken a break for now. It's important not to get burned out.

Big-Ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:25 am

vince wrote:For people that miss the game when it was available, you still can download it with this link:
https://steamdb.info/app/1368430/

Besides, I think you need Steam, but Steam is free so that's ok.

I tried it and...  Sad
But I think the SORR mod will be nice!
Still working on it but having a break so we don't get burned out, just as Icey here said.

Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Puzir and Rain like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  vince Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:27 am

And you're right, health and life first!
But I'm sure the mod will be better than the game.
vince
vince
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next