SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if I try and make a large-scale 'sandbox-like' mod with plenty of locations?

3 posters

Go down

What if I try and make a large-scale 'sandbox-like' mod with plenty of locations? Empty What if I try and make a large-scale 'sandbox-like' mod with plenty of locations?

Post  Karo-sempai Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:46 pm

Please instruct a noob (me): does it make sense to try and create a mod that would include many locations, namely the reconstructed Wood Oak City, with all the locations that could be found and stuffed inside? And with as much freedom of movement as possible. Streets, blocks, districts, neighborhoods, establishments, government buildings, criminal dens... And if possible at all, then, following the same principle, also the suburbs, villages, hidden dens of the Syndicate that would be placed beyond the city limits.

And maybe even other cities, _if_ they fit. And _then_, the possibility to travel to them by sea or by train, or even by portals...

So that you can start the game from one of the many points to choose from them), and go through the game in whatever ways you want, and after several locations and several bosses, the 8th mission will count, and this will be one of the MANY MANY possible endings.

Could one make something maximally close to a 'sandbox', to an almost 'open-world game'?

Is such a bold project feasible at all? Is it worth a try?

Karo-sempai
Galsia

Puzirkov and Axle Stone 1991 like this post

Back to top Go down

What if I try and make a large-scale 'sandbox-like' mod with plenty of locations? Empty Re: What if I try and make a large-scale 'sandbox-like' mod with plenty of locations?

Post  Don Vecta Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:41 am

Something closer to a sandbox experience could be the hubs I made for H.U.N.T.E.R., the labyrinth in Path of the Shadow Dancer or the troll rooms in Lima Federal. It's a matter of experimenting with alternatre routes, stage jumps, scene jumps and whatnot. However, returning to one place in particular would be like if you're stepped in for the first time so if you have something that needs story progression, you might get returned there. Basically you can create loopin stages with a central hub that take you several places.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Axle Stone 1991 likes this post

Back to top Go down

What if I try and make a large-scale 'sandbox-like' mod with plenty of locations? Empty Re: What if I try and make a large-scale 'sandbox-like' mod with plenty of locations?

Post  Mr.Chewy-McFluffster2010 Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:34 pm

Don Vecta wrote:However, returning to one place in particular would be like if you're stepped in for the first time so if you have something that needs story progression, you might get returned there.
That would be a fun idea, Don Vecta, as progressing through each stage sequentially (as in moving from one area to the next) would prevent completed stages from being re-entered.

Because of this, it might help encourage gamers to obtain additional lives and attain higher scores.  It may make the game last longer due to the Auto-Save function being utilized in SoRMaker mode.

The galaxy's #1 SoR Remake player since 2014
Mr.Chewy-McFluffster2010
Mr.Chewy-McFluffster2010
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down