SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene

4 posters

Go down

[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Empty [HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene

Post  Late goodbye Sun May 08, 2022 2:03 pm

Howdy everyone!

After an extended break, i'm happy to share another way to push the limits of SORMaker. While HEXing again with my level files, i was originally aiming to recreate the sniper attack on Stage 1 in Route 2 (Downtown). While in SORMaker we're limited to a single sniper attack firing exactly four rounds at you, in S1R2 you're getting shot at endlessly, until you've cleared the screen of all enemies.

While my initial endeavour proved fruitless so far, i've at least discovered how to place more than one sniper attack within a scene. More than that: You can actually have multiple crossairs on-screen at the same time - which doesn't add much challenge to 1P-Mode, but makes a noticable difference in 2P-Mode, since the crossairs actually move independently. I don't think even the main game had that. Very Happy

Since this includes tinkering with the SMK-File again, i recommend backing it up beforehand (HxD will do so automatically). I also recommend making this modification right at the beginning of the level design, so we can eliminate any risk of changing the wrong entries.

1) We fire up SORMaker and create a fresh scene. We flip the events-tab to "extra", and place several snares to our scene, according to the number of sniper attacks we wish to implement.
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Sniper10

2) After saving the scene, we start our HEX-Editor of choice (HxD in my case). We open the SMK-File of our scene (stage1e.smk in my case), and search for the value 21 in the Hex-Area. That value represents the snares we just placed. In my example, we come up with three hits:
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Sniper11

3) We replace all the values 21 with 77. In addition, we put in the value 03 in the adjacent fields to the right. Afterwards, we save the changes and return to SORMaker.
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Sniper12

4) We flip to another scene (without saving anew), and return right away. The snares should have changed to sniper-icons.
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Sniper13

To make it work ingame, though, it is important that we move each sniper-icon around a bit - doesn't matter how much, but if we leave the position unchanged, the crossair won't be showing up ingame. Also, there can only be one sniper per row; putting in more will still only show one ingame. We save again, and start a test run.
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Snapsh17
Oh my, seems like Blaze is not the most popular person around.

I'm not sure how far that method can be pushed without affecting stability. So far, i've yet to encounter any issues, but should you experience otherwise, please leave a reply.

Now, have fun creating sniper-hell! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Late goodbye on Mon May 09, 2022 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Galsia

Don Vecta and Axle Stone 1991 like this post

Back to top Go down

[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Empty Re: [HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene

Post  Don Vecta Mon May 09, 2022 5:17 am

Okay, wow... this is seriously interesting. In fact starting to do some hex modding besides the regular SORmaker methods will extended the limits we had (especially considering how little we had in v5.2).

The crosshair event will definitely work in a place when you're supposed to be haunted by gunmen or snipers. A limit of one per scene definitely takes the fun away but this will definitely add more challenge.

If you have more hex induced tutorials let me know, I might even try to get me a hex editor and try myself.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Rain likes this post

Back to top Go down

[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Empty Reply

Post  Axle Stone 1991 Mon May 09, 2022 5:21 pm

This is interesting so that's how you open up the SMK files, its hex coded. after having seen this tutorial, the hex codes can be tampered with and can alter things for SOR-maker and for the SORR game itself. good finding. and yes more gunmen on the map will make game mods more of a challenge, even for experienced players. Thumbs up

Another cool thing you could look into is to how to add more than 9 layers to your SORR-maker map, using hex value in the SMK folder.

Signal

Back to top Go down

[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Empty Re: [HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene

Post  Late goodbye Mon May 09, 2022 8:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and there's already more to come: It turned out that the tutorial above can be applied to hack other events into your scene that would be limited to single use otherwise. Take "Trigger Cars", for instance:
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Clipbo20
You can use the identical steps above, but instead of 77 03, you put in the values 6C 03. That will enable you to put in more car traps to your scene, if you so desire. The icons appear grayed-out, but worry not: the events all work.

Or if car traps don't do it for you: How about multiple Moving Lasers? That can also be done, using the values 75 03:
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Snapsh18

Multiple Rail Carts? Use 6D 03 to inflict some serious pain:
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Snapsh19

My favourite: You can even divert the "Boss Theme"-event from its intended use by putting in the values 0F 03.
[HEX-Editing] How to include multiple sniper-attacks in one scene Clipbo21
Despite being hacked into the file, all icons are fully functional, meaning you can change the musical track multiple times within a scene, not only when the stage boss appears. If utilized well, i'm sure that could be used to some great dramatic effect.

There's obviously more under the hood than the SORMaker-interface makes us believe, so i'll keep looking if there's more limitations that can be overridden through HEX-editing. I should consider compiling these infos in a comprehensive guide; but for now, i will leave it in this thread.

Speaking of limitations: Certain events and extras are lumped together in a group of 45 elements (see cursor-highlight in pic four). All these modifications will be added to that group, and as of now, i don't know if that's end of the line. It should be no big deal, though, since 45 elements should be plenty to work with.

Axle Stone 1991 wrote:Another cool thing you could look into is to how to add more than 9 layers to your SORR-maker map, using hex value in the SMK folder.

I'll see what i can find out.

Now: Who'll be the first to put together a stage in which you run from five rail carts and a moving laser while getting sniped half a dozen times? Twisted Evil

Galsia

Mr.Chewy-McFluffster2010 and daniel2221 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rain Thu May 12, 2022 2:39 am

Multiple boss music selections count me in!!
Theres been so many i wanted to change music multiple times
Rain
Rain
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Thu May 12, 2022 5:56 am

Certainly this is useful.

Now if could be a way to get more breakables/consumables per scene, this would be the best shit SORmaker can get because the scenes can be now more interactive.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Rain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Late goodbye Fri May 13, 2022 7:12 pm

Don Vecta wrote:Now if could be a way to get more breakables/consumables per scene, this would be the best shit SORmaker can get because the scenes can be now more interactive.

No luck on that one, i'm afraid. I was initially hopeful, since there's a value in Line 0003150 which expresses the number of elements placed. I put the maximum number of ten breakables in SORMaker, saved it, and set the value back to zero in HxD. That actually enabled me to place more elements in the editor, beyond the maximum number. However, none of those will actually appear ingame - neither breakables, nor consumables.

I was able to narrow down the lines in which the definitions are created, and apparently there's only space for a maximum number of ten entries; if i place more than ten objects in the editor, no new definitions will be created, since there's simply no space reserved for them. If it can be done somehow, it's beyond my current level - i'm no programmer, just a tinkerer who likes to figure out things. Cool

Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down