SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streets of Rage Remake v5.2 is here!

+47
DarkThief
Garcia75
wonderboy4
Shyning77
MRMIdAS
Krizalid
airic
PurpleWhiteOut
S1mple
E.Signal
lalolanda
trialforce
bufs
Kimono
Marcoscloud
Security
MapleStory
Solid One
AnderGus
Final Crash
LucasHB
vince
Doctrine Dark
Late goodbye
xRainmakerRSx
Blackblade34
QuickHit
Criss
Aggort
Xillatem
bareknuckleroo
Saven
El Gambito
Sshadow5001
E253MechaShadow
Benny26
Mr.Din
zakforradio
Rain
Don Vecta
Kane
Iceferno
Herb1e
Zhinkairi
SORDave
Charco
51 posters

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Streets of Rage Remake v5.2 is here! - Page 10 Empty Re: Streets of Rage Remake v5.2 is here!

Post  SORDave Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 am

Lol you have a point. Right.

SORDave
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Streets of Rage Remake v5.2 is here! - Page 10 Empty Re: Streets of Rage Remake v5.2 is here!

Post  Sshadow5001 Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:31 am

I wasn't trying to stir up any trouble, it was just what I happened to observe when I was looking through the files. Honestly I'm more interested in those gamepad pictures I found. I haven't actually checked yet if they're contained in 5.1 or not but it'd be interesting to know if more ports were in the works.
Sshadow5001
Sshadow5001
Nora

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmNvw20OcpFvDYiaKt9w

Back to top Go down

Post  E253MechaShadow Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:15 am

Am I the only one who thought that riding sections have become anticlimactically short? I played through the "mostly SOR3" route in co-op on Normal yesterday, we went through 3 riding sections - 2 biking and 1 jetskiing - and all of them ended quite abruptly in comparison to those in 5.1.
E253MechaShadow
E253MechaShadow
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Xillatem Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 am

I think they're just about the right length now. Always felt the original jetski scene was tedious myself and the wastelands as seen in BK3 just drags on (personally I believe that stage was why both bike scenes were cut from the final game).
Xillatem
Xillatem
SorR Contributor

Charco likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 am

There is a problem with Max 2nd star move. It no longer covers the 3/4 screen distance that it used to, at least not always. In 5.2, it behaves like in a few mods (of 5.1); the distance is much shorter, the reach seems to be a bit less.

Also, the lure enemies (or pile mobs together) and suddenly launch a surprise attack, very rarely works anymore, breaking boss patterns as well as your predictability/tactics (like Abadede's) and making roughing up smaller fish, much more tedious. There is also no option for "enemy cooperation" (i don't remember how that one was being phrased exactly) and they always evade by going backwards, never to gang up on you or launch an attack together.

Last edited by Security on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcoscloud Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 am

Streets of 4 Blazes: Electric Boogaloo

Streets of Rage Remake v5.2 is here! - Page 10 Blazee10

Man i just wish v5.2 had Beta Max as a alternate character just like BKM Blaze, instead of being a toggleable unlockable, that way we could've had 2 Grapplers characters slot for modding.

If the guy who made v5.2 is reading this, please for the love of god, on the next update make Beta Max a alternate character. Also, have a nice day!
Marcoscloud
Marcoscloud

Back to top Go down

Post  Kane Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:56 am

I hope Sega are watching this and do something about it officially. Give it a Christian Whitehead (taxman) treatment.
Kane
Kane
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 am

Kane wrote:I hope Sega are watching this and do something about it officially. Give it a Christian Whitehead (taxman) treatment.
No! No Sega... They C&D the SorR5.1

Right after they supposedly allowed it, too! They are good for nothing! And certainly, not interested at all in reviving goold old series! Look at what they 've done with Sega Australia and Golden Axe Remake!

They shouldn't know anything. And they know the official game (4?) doesn't even hold a candle to SorR, at least gameplay wise.
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Kane Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 am

Sega has changed since back then. Now they are bringing their IP to PC/Steam with the success of P4 Golden and other titles. Hope this encourages them to bring SoRR to Steam after contacting BomberLink
Kane
Kane
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 am

Kane wrote:Sega has changed since back then. Now they are bringing their IP to PC/Steam with the success of P4 Golden and other titles. Hope this encourages them to bring SoRR to Steam after contacting BomberLink

I myself would certainly pay to buy it, to show my support. But Sega specialize in destroying their own legacy and leaving their relics collect dust. Even if only for copyrights and stubborness (indie devs creating a much better game than they ever did, complete with restored content), they are never going to ackowledge them, much less seek to partner with them...

In GOG, there is even a community wishlst, asking for it (but gog stuff no longer pays heed to that feature, even for games that count votes in the thousands).
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimono Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:46 am

These are two things that I didn't understand with Sega: they acknowledged Headcannon to make an official release of Sonic Mania and the existence of Streets of Kamoroucho by Empty Clip Studios.

Did Sega team change his mind? Why destroying SORR and accept these others fangames?
Kimono
Kimono
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:37 am

Kimono wrote: Why destroying SORR and accept these others fangames?
Because SorR set the bar too high and put Sega to shame. Not only it was a love letter and a tribute to a beloved series, that Sega abandoned on the self archived to collect dust... Not only it proved modern gamers have a taste for oldies... But it is a masterpiece and a complete work, bringing together all things SorR.

For a similar reason, Nintendo comes down cracking on fangames, especially pokemon and shut down the Essentials webpages. Because fans come to fill the spot of their lacking, creating better games and filled to the brim with content, that official developers are too lazy, as well as stingy with budget and angry about deadlines, to ever produce.

And fangames being free, not affecting sales and even indirectly advertizing well-known franchises, do not save them at the end of the day, alas... They put official works to shame. That is their real "sin". And make gamers "entitled", in a sense... Imagine someone releasing a half-assed official title, right after a fangame which had 10x the content (stages? playable characters? gameplay options? routes? mods?) and for free!

P.S. Setting Hitbox to SoR2, seems to make the gameplay much more "satisfying". Still though, enemy attacks have changed... Signals, at least the SoR1 variety, are now invincible during their rolling (!@#$) and Abadede doesn't immediately knock you down, the moment you grab him... The latter also allows for Max's sliding kick to connect and he can even be normal-combo'd. I still prefer the old SorR patterns, though!
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimono Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:52 pm

I think this is better to hire some talents than make them sink...
I wish long live to passionated fans who make such a great job Smile.
Kimono
Kimono
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  bareknuckleroo Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Streets of Kamoroucho isn't a fangame though; it's an official Sega-licensed game aimed at marketing the Yakuza series and driving more sales of the Yakuza games.

Nora

https://www.youtube.com/bareknuckleroo

Aggort likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Mania isn't a fan game either. Sega commissioned it after already working with taxman on 3 remakes. Not to mention this was nearly a decade later hell 2 decades really because B asked sega at the beginning of remakes development cycle if I remember right, the company is completely different from back then.

I'm not exactly sure why people want to pay for something we're already getting for free, sega made a statement, the game ended up in our hands anyway and still gets updates. Foaming out the mouth about what sega did a decade ago isn't going to change things lol.

Forum Elder

http://www.brawlersavenue.net

Aggort likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimono Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm

@Mr.Din: I think people may pay for an official port of a full Street of Rage Maker, the possibility to 4 players online on current computer/consoles generation...
Maybye some features like an online hall of fame with high scoring, speedruns with specific characters, a versus online, some missions to unlock trophies, a career mod where you can enhance your stats?...
Kimono
Kimono
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Aggort Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm

I feel like a few things need addressed here...

Security wrote:Because SorR set the bar too high and put Sega to shame. Not only it was a love letter and a tribute to a beloved series, that Sega abandoned on the self archived to collect dust... Not only it proved modern gamers have a taste for oldies... But it is a masterpiece and a complete work, bringing together all things SorR.

This was not at all the case. Sega had seen this project and let it go on for years. Sega had most certainly not abandoned it, as much as we love the series, there was not a demand for it. They had projects in development at least twice while SoRR was being worked on that were abandoned. While SoRR is fantastic, let's not kid ourselves that Sega wanted to shut it down because it made them look bad. It was clearly a copyright/content creation issue and it's just a shame it took until release for them to pipe up about it. Sega knew this was a fan project, and despite shutting it down, they knew that it'd still stay online and was, in my opinion, rather gracious in their handling of the situation.

Security wrote:For a similar reason, Nintendo comes down cracking on fangames, especially pokemon and shut down the Essentials webpages. Because fans come to fill the spot of their lacking, creating better games and filled to the brim with content, that official developers are too lazy, as well as stingy with budget and angry about deadlines, to ever produce.

This is flat out false. Nintendo has always been strict about their content as far back as the 80's. Pokemon is their largest money maker, so of course they're going to protect their IP. As far as their IP goes, you have to understand how copyright law and trademarks work. They have to protect it. There are projects I am sure they would like to let go, and for some they have, but because of the way laws work, some cases they simply can't let one continue. I am not a fan of Nintendo's handling of some projects they've shut down, but more times than not, they're completely justified.

Security wrote:And fangames being free, not affecting sales and even indirectly advertizing well-known franchises, do not save them at the end of the day, alas... They put official works to shame. That is their real "sin". And make gamers "entitled", in a sense... Imagine someone releasing a half-assed official title, right after a fangame which had 10x the content (stages? playable characters? gameplay options? routes? mods?) and for free!

Again, this is partially incorrect and again pertains to how copyright law and trademark laws works. This statement is also contradictory. You argue the games are free, but then also state how consumers wouldn't seek out a paid product, because it lacks something they want in the free one... this is a perfect example of how a free game can affect sales. Free games can and have directly impact sales and unfortunately it can have a negative impact as well. That is why protecting their IP is so important. Like it or not, a bad fan game can negatively impact perception of a product. I know that is ridiculous, but it happens. Not all fan projects put official works to shame, in fact, a minority of fan work is often as well polished as the large publishers. That's not to say that a lot of these smaller projects don't have aspects that make them great or that the larger studios don't release duds or games with bugs.

Their real "sin" is often reusing assets from games, and I am not talking just sprite work, but stealing/reusing code, which is also IP. If a fan game was releasing close to an official release, that is just asking for trouble. While the fan game may be better, it is still using IP and consumers may confuse the two. Say that fangame later had an issue that corrupted files, consumers may hold that against the official product unaware of the differences. It's not right that that happens, but it's reason to protect IP. That said, most developer are flattered when projects of that nature are worked on, but quality control is important. Fan games are obviously great, but undoubtedly a lot lack quality control.

All that said, Sega has been more than generous with the fan community and for the most part always has, even back in the 90's when they encouraged game rentals while Nintendo fought allowing games to be rented. SoRR was a rare time they intervened and I am not so sure why after years of development. I honestly think there was a misunderstanding from Sega, but it's also pretty clear SoRR uses a lot of content from the original games. It is understandable, if not disappointing, that they would protect the IP, especially since they had intentions on using it in the future. Sega has basically encouraged Sonic fangames to the point of hiring the most prominent creators and with the success of SoR4, maybe we will see a similar project to Sonic Mania in the future.

But as was stated in the thread earlier, there really is no sense on griping about what they did those many years ago, especially considering they could have done much worse and really not let this community continue.

Aggort
Galsia

Mr.Din and El Gambito like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sshadow5001 Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Quick follow up on the Natty vs 5.2 BKM Blaze comparison and why some look the same and some are different.

So turns out both Natty and 5.2 are using sprites from the actual Bare Knuckle Mobile game and both of them used SoR2 Blaze as a base to create any missing sprites. So the reason that a bunch of the sprites are the same is because they're literally the BKM Sprites and the reason some sprites are different is because 2 different people made them.

I want to apologise for any confusion or anger I might have caused.
Sshadow5001
Sshadow5001
Nora

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmNvw20OcpFvDYiaKt9w

Charco, Mr.Din and Shyning77 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 pm

No worries Sshadow, honest mistake. I wasn't insinuating that you were starting anything btw just pointing out it wasn't much to fuss about and of course you see why now haha.

Aggort wrote:....
Explained much better than I could, good to see some actual sense regarding the issue. To add to this the people behind Streets 4 were also fans of the series, most notably SoR2 and a lot of the the Remake references came from them playing a lot of remake, Adam particular had references that I suggested. Very Happy

To be frank I still maintain the reason they waited until release to do anything about it was a few things
1. v4 while impressive wasn't anywhere near the level of quality v5 was despite still appearing in a couple of articles so much like many other SoR fan games (because ya know other fan games do exist) there was no action from SEGA
2. Once the game is out in the wild no amount of action will stop it, SEGA had to have known this already hence why it took what, a week? not to mention follow up updates to the game with no action against it still (3 and counting)
3. just speculation but they could have had plans to endorse the game, I actually heard from a source there were plans for this but one of the guys trying to make this happen left the company at the time and it fell through. Again just speculation but the person who told me this did have colleagues that worked with SEGA for a spell, take it with a grain of salt.

endorsing something like this isn't just something done with a flip of a switch either, there's a reason Taxman was commissioned to do remakes and eventually sonic mania, there's a lot to the process. Maybe not remake itself but if B expressed interest in another project we could be looking at a collaboration in the future, It's very possible.

Kimono wrote:@Mr.Din: I think people may pay for an official port of a full Street of Rage Maker, the possibility to 4 players online on current computer/consoles generation...
Maybye some features like an online hall of fame with high scoring, speedruns with specific characters, a versus online, some missions to unlock trophies, a career mod where you can enhance your stats?...
Well assuming this did happen I don't think we'd be seeing stuff like this, online was a lot of trouble to get working and to be honest we have stuff like parsec so I don't see it worth the trouble. Same thing with SoR Maker, the bigger part of it is the fact that from a PC we can customize things and make mods. You would need presets and it would be a very limited feature on anything but PC.

speaking of mods, let the experimentation commence!
Streets of Rage Remake v5.2 is here! - Page 10 Unknown

Forum Elder

SORDave likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  SORDave Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Nice,Maki from Final Fight 2. Smile

SORDave
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Din Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:24 pm

yup! Very Happy I plan on using custom sprites for the end result but figured I'd give this new customization ability a whirl, it's not too bad, still figuring out the points I think we need a better explanation than what was left in the bugtrack text, maybe it's because I'm customizing a character but there's more control points than the ones mentioned. I'll be using this for something bigger.

speaking of customization it's a little disappointing that we can't add our own music folder for the main game considering retro has it's own folder. I would rather be able to do that than changing anything in the main files but oh well there's still SoR Maker of course!

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  SORDave Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:34 pm

Nice! Very Happy Awesome,maybe you even can try bring your own sprites based off of Streets of Rage. Smile

Huh well that kinda sucks to be honest meh I can always create files filled with custom music & keep the originals in back ups.

Exactly! Very Happy

SORDave
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kane Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 pm

SORDave wrote:Nice,Maki from Final Fight 2. Smile

Thanks for reminding me of the Final Fight Remake coming out Q2 of 2024, from the capcom leak release schedule.
Kane
Kane
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:49 pm

By the way, the new enemy movement characteristics, suck bad. And Shiva got much, much more difficult (every time you make him kiss the floor, he instantly flying kicks you, you cannot evade, as if he did a teleport kick and his evasion got buffed). At least the Sor1 type.

Nope, i cannot see me playing this, ultimately. Please make Abadede invincible during moves/hits again and restore F Signals, whip ladies and all other trash, back to being fully vulnerable while moving/rolling etc! 1st time ever that i lost all of my continues in Mania. Thing is !@#$
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

Post  SORDave Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 pm

Kane wrote:
SORDave wrote:Nice,Maki from Final Fight 2. Smile

Thanks for reminding me of the Final Fight Remake coming out Q2 of 2024, from the capcom leak release schedule.

Huh,really? I didn't know that?

SORDave
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next