SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut)

+8
vince
DEIA GAMES
realnabarl
Don Vecta
Winged Cat
BigDarsh
LucasHB
Benny26
12 posters

Go down

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut) Empty SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut)

Post  Benny26 Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:06 am

Welcome to SoR - At The Movies (Director's Cut), below is a brief description of the features in my mod:

PLOT:

The mod follows Adam as the lead character, also with other members of the SoR gang getting work as upcoming actors in their first roles. The movies the gang have been contracted to star in are: Sunset Riders, Metal Gear Solid and The Warriors...

FEATURES

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut) Sun-set-riders-1

Enjoy Sunset Riders SoR style as Adam and Axel recreate to classic game for the big screen. Both the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis versions are in here.

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut) 4121291-3279324389-metal

Full playthrough of the story of Metal Gear Solid. Adam and Blaze take on the roles of Solid Snake and Meryl infiltrating an enemy base looking for a dangerous machine codenamed Metal Gear. Are there any surprises in store for Snake and Meryl though? (Also, if Snake and Meryl do manage to make it to the end credits cutscene, don't skip it!)

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut) EblyW3w

Full playthrough of The Warriors story. Adam and Axel take on the roles of Swan and Snow in the iconic fight for home played out in the movie The Warriors.

Other "in production" video games: Join Adam, Axel, Blaze and Max as they go down the corridors looking at other productions being made at the movie studio....Golden Axe? Mortal Kombat? You bet.

HUB format: This enables you to pick and choose your favorite part of the mod so you don't have to play it all in one go. Here's a small guide on the route map:

START = Corridor A (in here is 3 choices: Sunset, MGS or Warriors) ----> Corridor B (Here is 2 choices: In Production or Epilogue) ----> Corridor A

Epilogue: It's gotta end somewhere!

Animated cutscenes. (A lot of hard work went into these. Remember that a cutscene might look like it's over, but is still in transition. So be careful not to miss the great intros).

Custom Palettes: Director's Cut comes with custom palettes. These must be used for the mod to have full effect. Special gang colors come with these for example.

All 5 difficulties = Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard and Mania.

2 player mode.

Bonus Room: or aka "The Janitor's Office". After pounding away on the set you're going to need extra turkey when you come out to carry on. I heard the Janitor keeps some in his office...

Because each "movie" is a self-contained episode, difficulty is set accordingly. When you come out of a movie beat up, you can try your luck at some extra lives to keep you going. Can you finish the entire mod without using the Janitor? Now that would be a challenge.

Things to Note

On 2 player, some scenes in my mod can be really tricky due to the camera. Tip from me: Slow down, take it easy and you should be ok.

Sometimes food and items may make their way into walls when dropped from enemies: this is not really preventable, and it happens because of the collision maps. Hopefully it won't happen with an extra life  Razz

When fighting Zamza, due to the collision maps he may appear to be stuck off screen. This is not the case - he will return eventually. If he's off screen for a long time, try moving around to break up his jumping habits. I tried to edit the maps enough to stop this, but he jumps around so much it's impossible.

DOWNLOAD

Code:
https://mega.nz/#!DB9GiIaL

Key: !qg2uMPtc_Ng9v4NnK0k1sCzCDgFynQt30qD9gnOBR-Y

And that's it! Hope you enjoy it, and feel free to leave feedback (and also if you find any bugs)  farao

Last edited by Benny26 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:25 pm; edited 8 times in total

Admin

https://sorr.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut) Empty Re: SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut)

Post  LucasHB Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 am

This one was a breath of fresh air. The hub-idea is great, and the story is hilarious, with the premise of our characters lost in a movie set as they´re making movies. I like Sunset Riders, so I sure had fun here. And The Warriors is one of my all-time favorite movies, so it was great to see a homage.

Rating: Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven (out of 5).

Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut) Empty Re: SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut)

Post  Benny26 Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Ah thanks, Lucas. Nice to hear Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarsh Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 am

I decided to let a second chance to that mod yesterday. I tried the very first version of it last year and I was a bit disappointed. I didn't review it because I just can't.

The old version was very glitchy. There were no Hub and you were forced to play through sunset riders genesis or snes before starting the other version.
Genesis: The collision map was very glitchy in many scene and it was fun breaking, and whatever I did, I was redirected to the very start of the mod, every time I reach the final boss
SNES: Barbon 1st stage boss was stuck somewhere on the scene and never come.

That's how end with a ton of frustration my very first experience of that mod. You put so much work on ripping stages and creating animated cutscene that it was just a plain disappointement for me since you work a lot to acheive something that I can't play properly.

The director cut version is much better for many reasons:
First, you can choose the route you want thanks to the HUB and they are all fully functionnal and this is really what I expected from this mod. (Several short route > One long path).
Then, I love what you did with pretty soldier sailor moon layers. I do not like that game but I must admit they have awesome layers and you did great work with them (the james bond part is perfect lol).
There are still problem with the collision map in some scene of sunset riders and that's a real problem to me. Gameplay wise, it's fun breaking...

About Palettes, it seems the files you provided are split. Palettes/name for enemies (boss excluded) are in the folder "enemies" and palettes/names for bosses&robot are in the main folder mix up with default palettes/names for mook.
This is not user friendly at all. I can help to compilate them properly and give you a fully functionnal ennemies folder.
This is a big problem to me since I love the work you did on customizing names with a lots of easter eggs. Visually speaking, your palettes are ok but not outstanding comparing to other mods.

The best thing about this mod is the plot of Metal Gear Solid (amazing work, really. You are the boss in this segment, I mean it!) and all cutscenes (animated most of the time). I myself did about 5 animated cutscene in my own mod (unfinished) and I know how painful it is to connect sound, with png without looping so: you are the BOSS => Definitly.
This is the main reason why this mod had to be played, because you exploit this SoRMaker mechanics beyond it limits and I do love that.

There is another trick I like in this mod. You use tricky layers to make illusion of breakable object or mooks in many scenes and I must admit I just get fooled so many time: very good job lol.

To conclude, this mod has some flaws (Some can be fixed, some can't) but I think every people interested in making mod should play yours to learn some technics, because to me, this mod is a real SoRMaker lab with crazy experiences lol.

Thank you: 7 out of 10. (I feel a bit guilty to note you like this since you put so much work in it, but I have to be honnest, gameplaywise, it has flaws and some battle are not very interesting).

Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there."

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks for your in-depth review BigDarsh, glad you took timeout to try the DC version because it is a totally different mod in many respects to the first version i made.

The director cut version is much better for many reasons:
First, you can choose the route you want thanks to the HUB and they are all fully functionnal and this is really what I expected from this mod. (Several short route > One long path).
Then, I love what you did with pretty soldier sailor moon layers. I do not like that game but I must admit they have awesome layers and you did great work with them (the james bond part is perfect lol).
There are still problem with the collision map in some scene of sunset riders and that's a real problem to me. Gameplay wise, it's fun breaking...

Ah yes the HUB was very much needed with the length and size of the first mod. I had originally thought to make it like that but didn't know if it would be welcomed or not. Thanks goes to Don and HUNTER for first showing that could work. Sailor Moon has some of the best material out there, It's just a shame that it's been used so much now...That James Bond scene was a joy to make though, glad you liked that one. I'd really like to know more about where it's fun breaking in Sunset, those collision maps took a hell of a long time to do properly and i know that i couldn't get them down perfect. I did do lots of testing with them though and found them alright personally. I suppose for a first timer they could be quite strange in some places, like the gaps on top of the trains and so on. Maybe it's just the complex nature of the scenes.

About Palettes, it seems the files you provided are split. Palettes/name for enemies (boss excluded) are in the folder "enemies" and palettes/names for bosses&robot are in the main folder mix up with default palettes/names for mook.
This is not user friendly at all. I can help to compilate them properly and give you a fully functionnal ennemies folder.
This is a big problem to me since I love the work you did on customizing names with a lots of easter eggs. Visually speaking, your palettes are ok but not outstanding comparing to other mods.

Hmm...I thought they were fine as i packed them, but now looking at the folder i see i packed a set on the outside of the enemies folder, and on the inside. This is a mistake. All you have to take from my palettes folder is the enemies folder and leave everything else. It should work fine with doing just that.

The best thing about this mod is the plot of Metal Gear Solid (amazing work, really. You are the boss in this segment, I mean it!) and all cutscenes (animated most of the time). I myself did about 5 animated cutscene in my own mod (unfinished) and I know how painful it is to connect sound, with png without looping so: you are the BOSS => Definitly.
This is the main reason why this mod had to be played, because you exploit this SoRMaker mechanics beyond it limits and I do love that.

There is another trick I like in this mod. You use tricky layers to make illusion of breakable object or mooks in many scenes and I must admit I just get fooled so many time: very good job lol.

To conclude, this mod has some flaws (Some can be fixed, some can't) but I think every people interested in making mod should play yours to learn some technics, because to me, this mod is a real SoRMaker lab with crazy experiences lol.

Thank you: 7 out of 10. (I feel a bit guilty to note you like this since you put so much work in it, but I have to be honnest, gameplaywise, it has flaws and some battle are not very interesting).

Ah thankyou for the kind words Smile ..I had lots of fun AND lots of torment with doing some of the stuff (like cutscenes with getting the sound linked up like you say) but i was really happy with what came out at the end. There's nothing wrong with trying to push the boundries a little i think, but yeah, like you say some things arn't upto scratch and i hold my hand up to that. Like for example you say some battles arn't very interesting...well, I'm certainly no Vecta or Cajnatalie when it comes to Enemy Placement, plus that was the last thing i did and was really tired out by then. Even now the EP set that's in the mod is 3 revisions later and it's still not the best.

So anways, glad you enjoyed it (especially Metal Gear - had lots of fun building that part)...and i certainly won't say no to 7/10 Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarsh Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:13 pm

About collision map in sunset riders: The canyon stages (SNES & genesis)
On the canyon bridge, pick axel and try to perform a blitz 2* without falling Very Happy . I think if you are on the most upward line, you can but not sure of it, need to test this out. Anyway, this bridge feels very narrow and the downward limit is shorter than the layer seems to show you, and it is the samething for the upward limit (which is upper than the graphism).
Another thing a bit weird on the canyon stage (snes version) are the random mook ring out on the scaling sharped path. This is so weird how you can ring them out (and vice versa). The main problem is not your work to be honest, but the design of these stages that do not really fit a sidescroller maker like SoRMaker tool IMHO.
Another thing is the elevator in the canyon stages (genesis), the barrier on the right is not really consistant.

The train stage is cool, there's no plateforming trouble.

All in all good job to adapt sunset riders the best you can (and I think you reached SoRMaker limitation there), but everytime I try sunset riders road, I have to pay attention since I can't really trust my eye in that "canyon of ring out" lol.

About Palettes:
As I said before, the enemies folder you provide don't have name and color for bosses and robot (only mooks).
If you want to have them, you have to pick every bosses/robot files (names/color) in the other set with no folder. Trust me, if you don't, then, download your pack and check this. It took time for me to understand what you did lol. So I tested the mod with both pack and I understand how to have 'a real palette set' lol. I think you mess a bit while packing everything Wink

Another comment I forgot to make:
The warrior baseball gang bang battle is awesome. drunken

Back in our day, you had one sound effect for 20 things, and you came to love that sound effect.
Back in our day... Streets of Rage - the Classic - the Original - was the best damn game out there."

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Ah the canyon scene, I'm not surprised. There wasn't anyway around that stage while doing a Sunset Riders run through, so i just had to make the best of it and try and adapt it to SOR (like you say it does hit the limits). I suppose the maps could do with a touch up here and there, but there's not much that can be done about the death drops...sorta be no point to it being a canyon if it were to be made 100% safe. And yeah i totally understand Axel's blitz 2 thing, the guy shoots around a bit too much Neutral

With the elevator: I know exactly what you mean. Problem here is the edge is not straight, so It's very difficult to make the collision map balance between not falling through it, and still being able to throw people over it. I spent some good time on that map and yeah it's still not a perfect worker.

Regards to the palettes: Looks like I've made a total mess up of those then, thanks for finding that out for me. I'll change them and re upload the package. Might be a while before i can do that from where i am though.

Another comment I forgot to make:
The warrior baseball gang bang battle is awesome. drunken

Cool ..A man with good tastes.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Winged Cat Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:51 am

This mod has such an unusual plot, there are so many intersting things like "In production" stage and overworld map between the stages. Thank you for the mod, it is very enjoyable!

Winged Cat
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:41 pm

While I was waiting to go to the Halloween party last night, I did a run of this baby on some missions, did the The Warriors setting, which reminded me how hard was to go through with very limited food supplies, and then did a production run as well, good times. This mod still has wonderful replay moments. Surprised 

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:55 am

Don Vecta wrote:While I was waiting to go to the Halloween party last night, I did a run of this baby on some missions, did the The Warriors setting, which reminded me how hard was to go through with very limited food supplies, and then did a production run as well, good times. This mod still has wonderful replay moments. Surprised 
Very Happy ..Glad it's still getting played somewhere. I'm guessing the food in the Warriors part was something i was going to tweak but never got around to do it sadly.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDarsh Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:05 am

Still no news of rebuilding for matching the palette/ennemy name?
For Example, when you play on Hard Difficulty, and pick the MGS route is all about blank name and Snake is named Sephiroth!

That's sucks, this route is pretty epic with a lot of awesome cutscene.  Embarassed 

-CajNatalie-
BigDarsh
BigDarsh
Hakuyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks for reminding me, BigDarsh. I totally forgot about fixing this.

I've fixed the palette problem and uploaded the rar again. I've edited the opening post with the new link.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  realnabarl Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Seems downloads from AnnonFiles.com do not work anymore.

realnabarl
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  DEIA GAMES Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 pm

HI Benny26 ... Your mod is very nice , i think you're thinking like me , your mod is like my mod (Prison in the world of video games )

and great work my friend Benny26 Very Happy Very Happy Facepalm with a Desk
DEIA GAMES
DEIA GAMES
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Glad you liked it Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vince Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:54 am

Excellent mod! That's original, that's full of different things, and full of surprises. I like the moments in the studio, and I like the movies chosen, especilly The Warriors (I even rewatched the movie after that Very Happy ). This mod in on my top list!
vince
vince
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Thank you, Vince. Always nice to hear my mod is being enjoyed even after all this time Smile

And yeah The Warriors is a classic!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vince Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:09 am

Besides, why this mod still not present on this page?
http://www.***.net/sorr_featuredmods.htm
That's an injustice!
vince
vince
Electra

Back to top Go down

Post  Security Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:20 am

I liked it very much. It had some great annoyances, though... Sunset rider had some terrible mountain paths, grrr... Metal Gear had damnable packs of multiple bikers... Warriors had that damned baseball gang... But all in all, i managed to beat it in mania with ol' trustworthy Max! One of the best mods i have ever played!
Security
Security
Fog

Back to top Go down

SoR - At The Movies (Directors Cut) Empty download link fixed

Post  justjamie Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 pm

can you fix download link fixed?

justjamie
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm

justjamie wrote:can you fix download link fixed?

Link works fine for this mod.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gravegun Sun May 03, 2020 11:42 pm

Just discovered this. Very cool mod, like the In Production level and see other games/movies/show themes. I can see many possibilities with this, like SOR trapped in a TV with all kinds of shows and movies.

gravegun
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  bareknuckleroo Sat May 09, 2020 8:35 pm

Agreed, this is a fantastic mod, thanks for this!

Nora

https://www.youtube.com/bareknuckleroo

Back to top Go down

Post  Benny26 Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:20 pm

gravegun wrote:Just discovered this.  Very cool mod, like the In Production level and see other games/movies/show themes. I can see many possibilities with this, like SOR trapped in a TV with all kinds of shows and movies.

It was actually a happy accident it ended up the way it did really. The original version was just a straight run through of everything; it was really far too long so i ended up using the 'movie' idea as a way of splitting it all up into bite-size chunks.

I plan on updating this mod one day, it seems to have developed a few bugs here and there. However as of this moment i have literally no idea how to mod anymore Laughing

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum