In-Depth Character Discussion: Elle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In-Depth Character Discussion: Elle

Post  Charco on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm

*Original post by Solie.

**||UPDATES: Introduction, Movelist, Main Combo, Survival, Enemies||** - 9-21-2012

[s]Here we go, another underdog. Elle requires a great deal of finesse and in my experience so far, has the most versatile set of attacks. To make up for her weaknesses you are definitely going to need them all (almost).[/s]

Elle doesn't really feel like an underdog to me and has not for a while since mastering her in Survival. While Elle does require extra finesse, it is much less than some other characters.

Elle is best used with SoR 3 Pause Delay, SoR 3 Combo Type and SoR 3 Collision Type.

ELLE's MOVELIST

A - Special
B - Attack
C - Jump
X - Special Combo

NORMAL ATTACKS

Basic Combo - B, B, B, B (Lash, Lash, 540 Vertical Snap, Crescent Kick). Each lash has quite long range, while the snap covers front (long) and back (short). The combo itself is very lengthy and there are short delays between each swing which can result in taking a hit, especially from bikers (parallel) and enemies that block (when up close). The crescent kick is rather worthless, short range trash with a short delay for low damage that is best substituted with a grapple or special. But it could be worse, AKA, Blaze 1's flip.

Back Attack - B+C (Vertical Lash) - Mid-tier speed and very low damage but sometimes it's Elle's only defensive option. Elle's 2nd fastest attack.

JUMPING ATTACKS

Vertical Jump Attack - C then B (Front Kick). Short range and worthless.

Flying Jump Attack - Forward + C then B (Side Kick). Elle's flying kick is matched only by Blaze's, but I think Elle's might do slightly more damage. If kickboxers or ninjas are in a mixed cluster, it's a good way to attack but has to be executed carefully. Let's not forget it's basically Electra's kick, so you can finally give them a taste of their own medicine Twisted Evil.

Diving Attack - C then Down + B (Vertical Chop). Stuns, Nuff said.

SPECIAL ATTACKS

Offensive Special (Whip Flail) - Forward + A. Elle makes a few quick frontal whip swings then fully extends the whip forward which electrifies all it touches. This special is very slow and low damage (especially if the initial swings don't hit) which isn't justified by the very long range but its usefulness cannot be overlooked. The first swings also hit behind and anything that touches you (not hits) gets electrified. Probably the safest option against kickboxers.

Defensive Special (Electric Lash) - Neutral A. Elle brandishes her whip for a few moments. This has pretty decent reach, although, it's duration can get you surrounded sometimes if enemies don't close in during the knockdown hits. It has slightly greater reach on the side you're facing and I believe it's potentially the most damaging attack Elle has. You have to align it juuust right so it's [s]usually[/s] not worth it.

RUNNING/BLITZ ATTACKS

Blitz 0 - Forward, Forward, B. Pretty fast with great range and moderate damage. Steamroll baddies while keeping out of range of others.

Blitz 1 - X, Forward, Forward. Very fast with amazing range and moderate damage. Perfect if you need to get the hell out of Dodge and deal moderate damage while your at it. [s]Only a bit faster than maximum Biker speed which can allow them to backhand you.[/s]

Blitz 2 - X, Back, Down. Elle extends her bionic arm and uses it like a prod while sliding forward. Instant knockdown with mid-low damage, great range and speed. While Blitz 1 is great for doing damage at high speed, this one makes the AI somewhat skittish (which I will give examples of further down) and is very spammable. Kickboxers rarely block the whole thing but it happens Sad. Elle's fastest attack

Blitz 3 - X Forward, Back, Down. Elle rolls forward hitting multiple times and the final jolt knocks down. If you think you can make every hit, then use this instead of Blitz 0. [s]Can also be used to roll safely past enemies[/s](this function is highly situational and might as well not even exist).

GRAB ATTACKS

From front:
Neutral B (Lash) - Veeeeery slow, never use it.

Forward + B (Knee, Knee, Knee+Overhead Bash) - The knees-to-crotch are pretty slow. Use with caution and never do the 3rd.

Back + B (Circle Throw) - Fairly above average damage and the thrown victim goes pretty far.

From Behind:
B (Overhead Toss) - Fairly above average damage and the thrown victim goes pretty far.

WEAPON ATTACKS

Knife:
B - Lash and slash with knife and whip. Very slow and should be avoided while you are flanked.

Forward, Forward, B - Dashing flurry with the knife. Unblockable and a godsend against annoying enemies like Kickboxers. Only problem is if you missed, you're toast.

Forward, A - Faster than Blitz 2 and does a bit more damage but has half the range and is also blockable. Not invincible(Benny26).

Bottle (Largamon)
B - Before the bottle breaks Elle swings downward after broken Elle it changes to a flurry like with the knife. The shard is exempt from a life gauge making it very useful to stunlock even tough enemies. Fair distance is needed for just the stunlock.

Kunai (Largamon)
B - Like the bottle except it has life and can stunlock from the get-go.

Katana
Forward, Forward, B - Elle rushes forward then stabs the katana in the ground and surges electricity to a big area around you. Great damage but not invincible so you have to watch out for aerial capable punks (Largamon).

ELECTRIC BOOGALOO 101

Most of Elle's moves are pretty useful and it takes nearly all of them to keep you from getting beat down. The extra finesse that I mentioned at the top will be put in to having Elle be in the right place at the right time with the right attack so she can get her Electric Boogaloo on Razz.

Main Combo
Elle's primary weakness is her very slow attacks, but this weakness can fortunately be turned into an advantage with proper placement. That's where this strategy comes in. Lashes in your basic combo will allow you to close in on most enemies (without suffering retaliation) so that you can hit them with the back stroke of the vertical snap which will cause extra damage. You need to get point blank, however, for the full effect which also causes your target to turn his back to you on the final hit.

In the mean time, no enemies will be able to approach you easily (the AI won't always want to either) or even hurt you because you are swinging towards them and within a moment's notice you can make a throw (for invincibility). Signals or enemies with jump attacks will often try to slide/jump into you and sometimes your combo swings will interrupt them, but if not, just do a quick throw. You can take this combo slow to provoke enemies to get closer so they won't catch you with your pants down (swing delay) and they will get caught in your trap. This can also be useful for buying yourself time to fill your special meter. Just keep repeating the main combo on them until they are KO'd. As seen in the next video the best way to pull off the Main Combo is to always be point-blank to a downed enemy.

While the main combo is useful, it is not always the practical way to approach an encounter. Don't take damage trying pull it off.

Basic Combo locking is also possible and has proven useful on occasion. Timing has to be perfect on the back swing if an enemy tries to close in.

Blitz Strategy

Elle's blitzes are another very important part of her repertoire. The only one not vital is obviously Blitz 3. You'll want to use the first 3 interchangeably with the situation. Blitz 0&1 are especially great vs. Electras but #2 is a good alternative if they need to be interrupted ASAP. I catch myself using Blitz 2 quite often due to the effect it has on AI and speaking of which...

In that situation with the Biker, if I'd used any other Blitz, I would have been hit from behind by the Signal and Donovon. As you can see with Blitz 2, however, the AI opted to back off.

Survival

While most of the strategy I've outlined here comes from Survival runs in the first place, I need to emphasize and separate it from Story Mode strategies. Main Combo is your bread n' butter: you deal the most DPS with it; it keeps you safe; it lets you rack up points very quickly (quicker than most and possibly all characters?). When you're locked out of the main combo due to tougher enemies you are vulnerable, but, as mentioned previously, do not take damage just for the main combo's sake. Use your range to your advantage, but mainly use throw attacks and wear down the group. It takes a good deal of time to learn the AI patterns but doing so will allow you target the greatest threat and react on instinct. While Elle's roll is a little slow and doesn't travel far it should be taken advantage of [s]to reach high A and eventually S rank[/s](I've actually gone through entire S-Rank sessions without rolling) when fighting ranged opponents. I've also found that the AI behaves Mania like by at least the 50k mark and the main combo gets phased out, due to enemies being so fast and defensive. You'll eventually be forced to use little more than throws to achieve good damage, especially when there is a Barbon around.[/b]

The biggest thing I can impart is to be very, very, very, very, very patient! Getting mad will only serve to defeat you by making you play worse (thanks CajNatalie Smile). Be as impersonal as possible and stay focused!

Elle is S-Rank worthy!

Enemy Strategy

Garcia/Donovan/Signal/Biker: Main Combo/Blitz 0&1 fodder.

Electra: Concentrate on them whenever they're around as they totally spoil your Main Combo jazz. I find rolling up/down to them or using Blitz 0 to be the safest way to engage. If you can gauge the correct distance you can hit them out of their "get-up" up attack with Blitz 2. Takes a bit of practice but can be very valuable.

Jack: Long range whip attacks allow you to interrupt his knife-play. Blitz 0/1 when applicable.

Kickboxer: I tend to go as offensive as I can using properly timed jump kicks and keep them grapple locked. When playing defensively keep your back to them and use your back attack and Whip Flail as necessary. Out of all the non-boss enemies I'd say these are the bane of Elle.

Ninja: Jump attacks are very effective once you've already knocked them down. Before they recover, you have a split moment to land an air attack to either stun or knock-down. Remember to only come at them sideways when they're walking and are to be mostly avoided otherwise.

Barbon: Blitzes are risky and so are basic attacks even with Elle's range. Whip Flail, well timed jump attacks and grappling are the best options.

I'll be doing some more Mania runs to see how I can do now. In the mean time, enjoy my wall of text/input Smile.

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!

Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: In-Depth Character Discussion: Elle

Post  DarkThief on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:17 pm

I played her today and I'd forgotten how good she is since the patch...I should play her more really. I've generally given up on the fly-kick spamming tactic since the patch, but this is one character it still works on. Even if there's Donovans around I can still spam it defensively in a corner and mix it with her powerful combo (the only one where a defensive A special is the best finisher), decent throws and ranged attacks. Her only major weakness is lack of a decent blitz until 2 stars, but the tactic above seems to work ok for hordes. She's also one of the weakest against safe-landing bosses (Blaze twins/Mona+Lisa/Shiva/Rudra) as none of the throws work (the best she can manage is knee+knee+power blow). Fatties aren't so bad, as they can easily be combo+defensive A'ed to death.

Elle's flying kick is matched only by Blaze's, but I think Elle's might do slightly more damage.

It does the same damage as Blaze 3's, but more than Blaze 2's. (and less than Blaze 1's but that's a different kick altogether)

DarkThief
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  realnabarl on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:01 am

Elle has the same "super knee" as Blaze-2, the hitbox is really large!

realnabarl
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzza on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:05 pm

DarkThief wrote:I played her today and I'd forgotten how good she is since the patch...I should play her more really. I've generally given up on the fly-kick spamming tactic since the patch, but this is one character it still works on. Even if there's Donovans around I can still spam it defensively in a corner and mix it with her powerful combo (the only one where a defensive A special is the best finisher), decent throws and ranged attacks. Her only major weakness is lack of a decent blitz until 2 stars, but the tactic above seems to work ok for hordes. She's also one of the weakest against safe-landing bosses (Blaze twins/Mona+Lisa/Shiva/Rudra) as none of the throws work (the best she can manage is knee+knee+power blow). Fatties aren't so bad, as they can easily be combo+defensive A'ed to death.

Elle's flying kick is matched only by Blaze's, but I think Elle's might do slightly more damage.

It does the same damage as Blaze 3's, but more than Blaze 2's. (and less than Blaze 1's but that's a different kick altogether)

I really dont think that is true I believe rudra's flying kick out does Elles it has more reach and the same power rudra's flying kick is just as good as blazes.

bazzza
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:07 pm

I find Elle to be the weakest character in the roster, in terms of normal attack strength, but she somewhat makes up for it with how many times she can attack in a single attack sequence. She's also very fast, so she's good for running out of tight spaces between enemies. Also, give her a knife or 2-star blitz attack and she'll pummel enemies' life bars good.

One thing I don't like is her attack range when she's using her standing special move; it doesn't go very far beyond her body and therefore is only good for when enemies are closing in too much on her. On the other hand, her "Call Police" special is both extremely powerful and visually impressive. Definitely someone to use if you're of the "fragile speedster" mentality.

Shadow Fist King
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  bareknuckleroo on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:59 am

The crescent kick is rather worthless, short range trash with a short delay for low damage that is best substituted with a grapple or special. But it could be worse, AKA, Blaze 1's flip.
On SoR3 pause delay, SoR1 Blaze's standing combo has extremely fast execution and, the time it takes to do a full combo and land from the flip kick is actually surprisingly short (same speed as doing a full standing SoR2 Blaze combo!). Elle's slow speed on her first couple of whips makes it far worse overall.

But holy crap, is it me or has Elle been seriously improved in this patch? Maybe I used to suck with her, but the extra damage on her standing combo helps alleviate its somewhat slow speed. But the real benefit is her offensive special has much more safety now due to partial invulnerability against attacks (from the direction she faces, this doesn't work if the enemy attacks so close that it hits her back though). The extra safety really helps make up for the fact that Elle is a bit vulnerable from behind when using it.

Her jump kick really is awesome, and her 2 star special is great to spam repeatedly via the special command input, knocking down even blocking enemies quite often (her 3 star has worse range and not much more damage, a faster version of her 2 star would have made for a better 3 star move). Her 0 and 1 star blitzes are also pretty good even with the jump at the end, for non-blocking enemies they work quite well. She's hard to learn to use, but I'm finding her definitely better than I used to; I think I underestimated how good some of her moves are. No suplex on her rear grab hurts for throw recovering bosses, but the throw on her rear grab helps with crowd control (enemies in 5.0a are a bit easier to throw into each other). Even her back attack seems to have gotten better in terms of hit range. That jumping down + attack also has really good range for starting grabs!

Her defensive special is a multihit so it sucks though - used as antiair it'll only hit once and do little damage. Not too shabby if you use it close to a standing enemy though.

Shadow Fist King wrote:I find Elle to be the weakest character in the roster, in terms of normal attack strength
SoR3 Skate is by far the worst. Not even the addition of offensive special invulnerability in the latest version has helped him much - he's still the worst character in the game due to horrendous damage, range, lackluster blitzes (SoR2 Skate has way better star blitzes!)...

In fact, I'd say Elle is honestly better than SoR3 Axel is. At high level play, SoR3 Axel's blitzes kinda suck and don't help him go through crowds and his damage is bad compared to SoR1&2 Axel. If SoR3 Axel had is rear attack infinite, maybe he'd be better, but Elle has a serious speed advantage, her throws are pretty good, her jump kicks are good, and her blitzes (especially that 2 star) are really solid.

bareknuckleroo
Galsia

http://www.youtube.com/bareknuckleroo

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Elle's 2-star blitz is very handy, but her 3-star blitz requires aim and good reaction-time on the player's part. Her normal standing attack combo is on the slow side in terms of her reaction time; even Skate can stand-combo faster than she does.

Shadow Fist King
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Elle in v5.0a got seriously buffed and it's faaaaaaaar from weak. A very solid character now.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.

Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  Saven on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Don Vecta wrote:Elle in v5.0a got seriously buffed and it's faaaaaaaar from weak. A very solid character now.
This.

She was my least favorite in vanilla V5. But she is one my most used chars in 5.0a. Very good and overall fun character to use.

Saven
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Solinarius on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Hello Ragers, been a while Very Happy. This guide hasn't aged as well as some of the others, but I was too lazy to really alter it further. Sufficed to say, she is vastly different in 5.0a, but some of the things in this guide still work. Combos while facing opposite of enemies still do more damage. In fact when combined with an aerial chop and a throw, it takes a full bar away!

Shadow Fist King wrote:I find Elle to be the weakest character in the roster, in terms of normal attack strength, but she somewhat makes up for it with how many times she can attack in a single attack sequence. She's also very fast, so she's good for running out of tight spaces between enemies. Also, give her a knife or 2-star blitz attack and she'll pummel enemies' life bars good.
I'm sure most people despise 5.0 Elle's combo, the one's that haven't discovered the tricks of the trade as outlined in my guide, that is. Roo, Zan, and SoR 3 Skate definitely did less DPS and in 5.0a her damage is godly.

Solinarius
Galsia

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top