SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In-Depth Character Discussion: Adam Hunter

+5
Shadow Fist King
geminisoldier
Don Vecta
WillyTheSquid
Charco
9 posters

Go down

In-Depth Character Discussion: Adam Hunter Empty In-Depth Character Discussion: Adam Hunter

Post  Charco Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:49 pm

*Original post by Antares Zyklus.

This guide focuses on one of the integral characters in the Streets of Rage universe, Adam Hunter - FBI Agent, elder brother of Eddie Hunter, best friends with Axel Stone. Despite being liked by many SOR players, he has yet to have a guide of his own (which surprises me to no end)...I intend to rectify that here and now. Feel free to point out anything I've missed or your own thoughts/strategies and such.

The following is Adam's movelist copied from thread created by Don Vecta:

Adam Hunter.

Normal attacks.

Rush combo - B B B B (two long jabs, Uppercut, Roundhouse) *note: pay attention in between the uppercut and the roundhouse, sometimes the combo is incomplete and enemies can retaliate.
Back attack - B + C (Jumping Back Kick)
Special - A (Split Kick)
Special 2 - forward + A (Tactical Strike, performs a 2-hit Kick combo)

Jumping attacks.

Vertical jump attack - C then B (SOR1 does a high kick, knocks down)
Jump attack - forward + C then B (SOR1 Jumping kick, long range, knocks down)
Diving attack - C then down + B (SOR1 Punches downward in a crouch position, doesn't knock down and leaves enemy open to combo or grab).

Running attacks.

Blitz (0 - 1 star) - forward forward + B Dive kick (Adam dashes and hits the enemies repeatedly with an outstretched leg).
Blitz 2 (2 stars) - forward forward + B Spinning punch attack (Adam performs a straight punch similarly to SF Balrog [Boxer]).
Blitz 3 (3 stars) - forward forward + B Spinning grand upper (Adam delivers the same straight punch and follows it with a SF Balrog [Boxer] Styled uppercut).
Special - forward forward + A Riot Stopper (Adam leaps into the air delivering a power packing punch)

Grab attacks (get close to an enemy).

Vault over opponent - Grab then C, you can switch from grabbing in front or from behind.
One-hit frontal knockdown - Grab then B (Adam does a strong elbow)
Rush attack - Grab, hold forward + B B B (Adam knee bashes the opponent in the first two hits, then performs a gut punch and finishes with a downward punch)
Backwards throw - Grab, hold backwards B (performs an over the shoulder throw).
Grab from behind - Hold from behind or vault opponent if grabbing in front then B (perfoms a German Suplex).

Weapon special attacks.

Pipe/Bat/Plank - forward forward + B (Adam runs and shoves it into the opponent)
Pipe/Bat/Plank - forward + A (Adam performs a home run on the enemy)
Knife - forward forward + B (Adam performs a jumping slice at the enemy)

Blitz attacks X button combinations

0-1 Star: X+Forward, Forward
2 Stars: X+Back, Forward
3 Stars: X+Down, Back, Forward

-------------------------------

Overview:

Adam isn't a speedster like his younger brother, Blaze, shiva, or Rudra but what he lacks in speed he does make up for in reliability in his moveset and good damage(I shouldn't have to mention this but he's no turtle like Max either). His attacks can deal out a decent amount of power and cover some ground to boot. From what I've noticed unlike Axel, Adam has no problem approaching enemies like Electra, who likes to attack from a distance (especially when she's backed up by other goons) thanks to his Blitz-1/Blitz-2. Adam overall is a nice and balanced character.

Rush combo: IMO, the standard rush combo is a situational thing to use when playing as Adam. The reason is because some enemies can escape the stunlock after the third hit which could lead Adam open to counterattack, which could lead to Adam getting surrounded if there's more than one thug on screen, which could turn ugly (particularly in late game on Mania runs). The best way to prevent this is to either go in for a grab, attack, do a couple of vault resets, attack some more ending with german suplex (be wary of bosses that can escape vaults like Barbon, Robo X, Shiva, etc.) or follow up with a Blitz-1/Blitz-2 to give yourself a bit of breathing room while doing a ton of damage quickly. You don't even need the stars to pull off this combination either, just punch two to three times and quickly press X+button combination.

Back attack: Can hit multiple enemies. It comes out really slow IMO, but should it hit an opponent it will cause knock down. Sadly, this attack can be punished by a simple punch before the attack connects so use it at your own risk. The one you want to do as Adam is to not get surrounded too often without meter (I think that applies to any character but this has more weight with Adam because he only has two reliable ways to escape such a scenario: A special and a timely roll).

Diving attack: You want to use this quite a lot to keep the pressure on most of your foes (take note that Donovans/Muay Thai guys/Ninjas and some bosses can punish this). Should this attack hit your foe will be in stunlock and you can begin your devastating combo. Not sure about its priority, maybe someone can clear this up (looking at you badjab/Don Vecta).

Blitz-1: Probably the best blitz Adam has in his arsenal. this is one of the most reliable moves I've seen so far since playing V5 back in April and as such you should spam it whenever you get the opportunity (ideally while doing rush combos). I believe this move can probably break the guard of the Muay Thai dudes and if not, it's nice chip damage. The move doesn't have much recovery time and generally safe to use overall on most foes depending upon how you choose to approach. Try to keep at least one star for the extra range because it will serve you well.

Blitz-2: Another good attack although you have to "aim" it. This blitz is a nice finisher to Adam's rush combo, can be used to keep pressure on your foes during their wakeup, and covers even more range than his Blitz-1 attack. Earlier, I had mentioned that Adam has an easy time approaching enemies that like to attack at a distance...this move is the reason why. Adam can literally be in the face of Antonio's, Electra's, whomever and pummel them. The only downside I noticed about this move is that it has a small bit of recovery time in which Adam can be counterattacked depending on the situation of the fight.

Blitz-3: It hits a good number of times, moves forward a good bit, and looks real cool but you'll commonly end up going past enemies...you don't want that. This move is best used in crowded situations as it can catch a good number of gooks and knock them all down. If you want to use this move for one-on-one scenarios, try using it at a short distance away from your opponent, but personally I'd stick with Blitz-1/Blitz-2 for that (if I even had to use a blitz).

A-special: The standard "escape" being torn up from both sides attack. Good for getting gooks off of you, but some people might not know that this move can hit twice. Yes, twice, which means it does a bit more damage than normal. The trick to this is that the gooks have to be inside of Adam's hitbox when he initiates the move.

Forward-A special: Does a good amount of damage but it can be interrupted (particularly by Abadede). Adam stays grounded when using this move and the recovery time from it seems to be quite small so I'd reckon it's safe as long as you're smart about it. This move hits twice by default.

Forward-Forward-A special: This move has such a short range, but it's arguably the most powerful move in Adam's arsenal. Like the other two special attacks, this move can also hit twice for major damage if you're inside the opponent's hitbox and can be used in a combo if you're timing's well enough/feeling confident enough to try (example would be B,B,Forward-Forward-A). I wouldn't try using this move on Jets due to their tendency to either dive kick, punch, or grab you.

German Suplex: A throw that does a good amount of damage and a very safe way to end your combos if you don't want to use your blitz attacks or anything else I mentioned above. If you're familiar with vault resets (punch an enemy a couple of time, grab and attack two times, vault over him/her twice repeat the process) then you can easily annihilate enemies with long life bars provided they have no way to counterattack. Otherwise it's still a good throw that doesn't leave Adam open to counterattack.

One-hit frontal knockdown: The throw isn't as damaging as the suplex, but is just as reliable and should be used frequently if you're surrounded.

Rush attack: Pretty neat grab, does decent damage and causes knockdown, but be wary of being attacked from behind while doing it. I wouldn't think it'd be as safe as suplex or the one-hit frontal knockdown considering it takes longer for the grab to end.

--------------------------------------------

Weapons Overview:

From what I've noticed, Adam's best with a bat, pipe/plank, and knife. Using sword is possibly wise as you have that much reach (and can keep it away from ninjas should they be in the area), but he has no special attacks with it. He can do a tremendous amount of damage with the bat/metal bat thanks to his specific home-run swing attack (though this eats up the energy for the weapon at a drastic rate). To this end, you should make it your goal to get the bats as much as possible. Bats first, then pipes, then knives, and swords only for a tactical reason to keep it away from the ninjas and to extend your reach (otherwise pipe/bat do the job just fine and you can leave the sword/katana alone).

Adam can swing the pipe/bat pretty fast and in a wide arc as well as do a heft amount of damage by using them in a blitz attack. He can extend his arm a good distance when using the knife too which is also good for keeping foes away from him. The knife special may look cool, but it only does slightly more damage for minimal reward - if you miss, you may take damage that you could have avoided.

-------------------------------------------------

Closing:

To recap, with Adam you want to get in and use combos as much as possible. Stick to your reliable Blitz-1or Blitz-2 attacks/throws/vault resets/bat-pipe-knife, be sure to watch your six as Adam doesn't like being surrounded (if you get surrounded use A-special, Blitz-1/2, or roll and run at an angle before being attacked), be aware that your back attack can be punished should you decide to use it (same with your jump kick), use Blitz-2 when you need to close the distance (or run at your opponent in an angle - forgot to mention this earlier), remember that your special attacks can hit twice for major damage and you should be okay for the most part.

From here, practice makes perfect. To any who read this and feel that this guide is missing something or would like to contribute something to make the guide better feel free to do so. I'm not the greatest Adam player, but I do feel that I know enough to take upon the challenge of making this. Axel's sidekick needs some more limelight for sure (I don't think I've seen any solo Mania runs for Adam yet). In any case enjoy and thanks for your time reading this.

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

In-Depth Character Discussion: Adam Hunter Empty Re: In-Depth Character Discussion: Adam Hunter

Post  WillyTheSquid Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi, I'm new here. But I've been playing the heck out of SoRR -- I was a fan of 2 and especially 3 (US hardtype...). Can now beat mania SoR2 route on 1 continue pretty reliably with Adam after getting the hang of him. He's really grown on me as one of my all-time favorite characters in SoRR.

One moment of glory from today stands out: playing V4 remake, I finished a combo on a biker, launching him into three other ones, which sent all four of them flying straight into the center of an exploding motorcycle' blast radius. AWESOME. So I registered here, and here I am.

Settings: SoR1 style jumping, Remake pause delay, SoR3 combo type. Run&Roll/SoR3 exceptions on.

---

Using bats/pipes/planks effectively:

Sometimes I play with SoR1 weapon type, but I consider that somewhat cheap because the special weapon moves can be used for free. But really, his normal bat/pipe/plank swing is pretty much all you need -- comes out amazingly fast and has great range. Easily floors even large swarms of mooks by hammering the attack button continuously while also walking around just slightly (diagonally) to avoid being back-attacked. As a plus -- the standard bat/pipe/plank swing also hits enemies moving in from (slightly) above or below.

Swing speed with these weapons is much more rapid for Adam than most other characters; off the top of my head, Rudra is right up there in attack range and damage, and Blaze2 comes close. With most other characters, the bat/pipe/plank is so much slower than unarmed attacks that it's not worth the risk of picking one up (for me, at least. YMMV). Adam can get that crucial knockdown hit in very reliably, often first-striking enemies that would get in (at least) one hit on other characters. This significantly reduces the risk of the weapon getting knocked out of your hands and disappearing (or much, much worse: being picked up by SoR1 Galsia...)

Adam also has a running attack and a forward special when wielding a bat/pipe/plank, but they will quickly break your weapon, damaging it more than the normal weapon swings... every time you use them, whether you hit anything or not. There are other disadvantages to using these more powerful attacks: they come out and recover more slowly than Adam's basic swing. I concur with the original post that the homerun-style forward special is oh so very satisfying if you manage to connect with it, but it's too slow and risky to be of anything other than incidental use. I guess you could use it as a wake-up attack on downed enemies, but Adam has far better options for that (Blitz-3 anyone?) that do not damage your precious melee weaponry. The running weapon stab is somewhat better: slightly quicker to come out and recover, and it moves you forward more. Still not really worth it IMO. YMMV, etc.

Enemies using long-ranged attacks can be problematic for Adam, especially when accompanied by groups of other mooks. Ever play Gangs of Fury? Remember fighting that horde of 30+ whip-using clowns? That is what hell looks like for Adam, seriously -- only there are also wonderful pipe-wielding bikers and SoR3 Donovans wandering around in there: they strike quickly, hitting hard while staying just millimeters outside your attacks' range. Generally when one wanders onscreen, I drop everything else I am doing and try to disarm them. This goes quadruple for SoR1 Galsias (I swear, it's not a bat -- it's a freaking Scepter of Ragequitting in their hands).

Fortunately, Adam is almost guaranteed to first-strike weapon-using bikers/Donovans. PROTIP: they can't smack you from off-screen if you are right up at the edge of the screen (it's even safe to turn your back on them to deal with other enemies!)

Some higher-tier enemies that are normally troublesome are easily dispatched by Adam's basic bat/pipe/plank strike. The trick is to move slightly towards them when they are preparing to attack. While perhaps unintuitive, this tactic is extremely reliable against Electra's horizontal whip and jumpkick as well being effective against various other medium-ranged jumpkickers (Nora, Hakuyo, Haku-Oh, Tiger, SoR2 Big-Ben).
Against some enemies, it's a gamble though -- specifically, beware of Yasha (diagonal jumpkicks), Mona (super-fast long-ranged repeated jumpkicks) and Soozie (likes to jumpkick from WAY outside your weapons' range).
You will also be pleased to read that Adam's bat/pipe/plank strikes absolutely dominates any fire-breathing fat guy that runs at you.

---

***EDIT***
Love swinging those big, solid rods at all the nasty enemies, but suffering from weapon degradation issues even though you've been smart about it and stuck to the basic bat/pipe/plank swings? Mix in some of Adam's other moves to greatly extend your weapon's lifespan:

- A standalone knockdown kick is quick and effective. Use against lesser threats like single/cannon fodder mooks or to finish off the nearly-dead ones. No sense in wasting that precious weapon health bar.

- Adam's Blitzes offer several sweet change-ups to spamming attack -- especially if you use the "X"-style button option that lets you pull 'em out on command with semi-nimble fingers, some practice, even if you haven't earned your stars yet or lost them. Highly recommended that you start using this option and practicing until you can pull out Adam's Blitz-2/3 on command. It's very much worth your time and effort if you want to improve your game.

- Blitz-1 gives you a potent potpourri of pain with plenty of range, damage and priority, but beware -- a single hit from anything will knock you out of the sky, which will quickly lose you your weapon! Also lovely in that it can be done from a standstill, which takes many enemies by surprise.

- Blitz-2 offers a one-hit knockdown and decent damage/startup delay, and at a much greater range than Adam's weapon attacks. Also moves you forward by quite a bit, which is nice when you are surrounded. Unlike Adam's basic weapon attack, it offers more than one chance at getting past the guard of those annoying blocking enemies and racking up impressive block damage along the way.

- Blitz-3 is riskier when used on its own as it takes more time to input the move, but as a wake-up attack against downed enemies it rocks hard. Multiple hits, very good block damage, speedy execution, creates distance. And with all the one-hit knockdowns you're dishing out with Adam, there is ample opportunity to have some serious fun with this move.

An additional advantage to mixing up your moves is that it saves time by significantly boosting your damage output: your basic bat/pipe/plank swing, while very safe and effective, is a good deal weaker than Adam's combo or Blitz attacks. You also have to wait until a struck enemy gets up from the ground... every single freaking time you smack 'em with the stick. This is bad for several reasons:
- In some situations (mods, higher difficulties), running out of time is a serious possibility when facing some bosses or mooks (SoR3 Electra + multiple health bars + takes ages to stand up again comes to mind...).
- With many enemies, every knockdown you score on them brings another chance for them to pull out their (semi-)invincible wake-up attack or some other sneaky business (SoR1 Nora/Hakuyo and the ninjas are especially nasty in this regard... not to mention the bosses).

(Also, a question from me -- I've done some testing, and the (metal) bat/pipe/plank seem to be identical in swing speed/damage. Am I missing something?)

---

Knockdown kicks in two flavors:

Adam's back attack is slow and punishable -- but at least enemies can't combo you because any hit will knock you down. Generally speaking though, I eschew back attacks in favor of Adam's combo-finisher kick -- not the one you charge by holding attack, but the 'instant' 6-button-style version. It comes out very fast and often catches approaching mooks by surprise. It's fantastic for crowd control, instantly knocking down (groups of) enemies that try to back-attack you. The recovery is so fast that you can get in a jab or two to stun enemies in front of you, quickly turn around for a knockdown kick, then resume your normal combo (at least on very hard difficulty, YMMV if you play mania).

If you still find yourself getting swarmed, you can also use Adam's offensive special (the split kick) after knockdown-kicking back-attacking enemies -- it has some invulnerability frames, though crucially not against projectile attacks. It will destroy boomerangs and juggler projectiles, though.

Knockdown kicks also work wonders on mooks that like to hang out slightly outside of Adam's jabbing range and enemies that use very quick but short-ranged punching/kicking attacks. Use it to quickly down enemies so you can wake them up with a well-timed Blitz-3 attack.

There's another great use for that wonderful knockdown kick: Adam has an infamously wonky normal combo, launching enemies into the air with the third hit, then kicking them away with the fourth. Before the v5.0a patch, that third hit would leave you very vulnerable, enemies oftentimes interrupting Adam before you could get the final hit in. Although fixed somewhat, that third combo hit is still a bit of a weak point... and sometimes, you just don't have time to do a full combo when mooks are ganging up on you from all sides.

...So here's another PROTIP: Finish your combo early (after one or two jabs) with the stand-alone knockback kick. This has several advantages:
- It instantly ends (resets) your combo and has great recovery, leaving you free to use the quicker jabs again.
- It shortens the time needed to progress from the initial combo jabs to a knockdown by quite a bit; more enemies on the ground means less risk of being mobbed.

***EDIT***: THIS JUST IN: PROTIP
Just discovered this yesterday -- knockdown standalone attacks have a 'cooldown' time of a second or two, meaning you can't just spam them at will. It'd probably break the game if you could do so -- but read on, there's still a way to get in multiple subsequent knockdown hits one after the other...
...As it turns out, characters' regular combo finishing move don't count for purposes of the standalone knockdown cooldown timer. This means you can do the combo finisher, then follow it up almost immediately with the standalone version (Adam's is especially effective!). Need even more close-quarters crowd-control carnage? Follow up that second kick with Adam's split-kick forward special for some bonus (limited) invincibility frames, up to two damaging hits (second one knocks down).
...Still getting stomped after all that? You're hopeless. Call the cops or something... pig Wink

---

Adam's projectile attack:
(...wait, what?!)

PROTIP: Doing the full combo has its advantages: besides the increased damage output it knocks launched enemies into other mooks. Adam has no projectile attacks or medium-ranged ki-style 'fireballs' to draw out inactive enemies from a distance one-by-one... but if you line up enemies smartly before you combo them, they become projectiles that can 'activate' enemies on screen from long range.

The stand-alone knockdown kick doesn't launch enemies into each other, which can be a good thing -- you might accidentally bite off more than you can chew if you attract distant, inactive enemies you didn't intend to.

---

PROTIP OF DESTINY:

(This was a real game-changer for me -- it got rid of the most frustrating aspect of the game entirely for me. This works for most (if not all) characters but I'm specifically discussing Adam here.)

You are probably using SoR3 pause delay (you coward!) to make Adam's moves come out faster -- but even then you might find Adam's health bar getting gradually chipped down by mooks with fast jabs who run up to your face and sucker-punch you, even though you are mashing the attack button like a lab monkey that's high on bath salts. Especially SoR2 Galsia/Donovan with their 1-frame jabs, but also the bikers and some other enemies, depending on your playstyle, difficulty and game settings. YMMV.

It took me ages to figure this one out, but it's related to the combo setting. If you use the SoR2 combo setting, your characters will only ever use their first (quick, but short-ranged) combo attack unless they actually hit something. The SoR3 combo setting, on the other hand, lets characters perform their entire combo on thin air -- which isn't always a good thing. While they are both longer-ranged and more damaging than the initial combo hit or two, these stronger attacks also come out more slowly, which opens you up to enemies with speedy attacks getting in that annoying first hit when you attempt to combo them by mashing the attack button repeatedly while closing the distance -- not to mention that it leaves you vulnerable to other enemies.

So, what do? As it turns out, it all comes down to timing: don't spam the attack button. That means two things:

One -- wait until those quick-hitting mooks are slightly closer and on (or moving towards) your z-axis position before you start mashing attack.

Two -- make a habit of doing just one or two quick jabs, then stopping your combo. It leaves you much less vulnerable. As described above, you can also use Adam's knockdown kick instead of the third and fourth (uppercut launcher, knockdown finishing kick combo). A third option for when enemies are closing in on you, or you spot a long-ranged/shooting enemy lining up their attack: move in for a quick shoulder throw. Plenty of invincibility frames and it completely ignores projectiles as well.

Last edited by WillyTheSquid on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:36 am; edited 4 times in total
WillyTheSquid
WillyTheSquid
Donovan

Back to top Go down

In-Depth Character Discussion: Adam Hunter Empty Re: In-Depth Character Discussion: Adam Hunter

Post  Don Vecta Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:19 pm

Nice nice nice input on Adam's gameplay. Welcome to the forums and thank you for the info.

...even though you are mashing the attack button like a lab monkey that's high on bath salts.

lol lol lol!

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  geminisoldier Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm new here to the forums, long time lurker, but finally decided to join and share my two cents.

Adam has always been my favorite and I love what the Bomberlink team has done to revamp him for the remake.  But I digress.  On to some interesting things with Adam...

1) One thing that I like to do with Adam (this also works with Axel) is what some people call the "infinite jab" glitch.  Basically what you do is throw out a punch on an enemy, wait about half a second, and then punch again.  What this does is trap the enemy to the point where they are stuck in infinite stunlock.  And because of the half second delay, your combo is resetting to the first punch each time.  This works wonders for dealing with Galsia 1's (who have super speed punches), Bongos, Big Ben's, ninjas, and any boss (like Mr. X) who isn't airborne (so no go on Jets) or has some form of blocking/countering (Barbon, Abadede, Muay Thai guys).  This trick is part of the reason I was able to clear Mania with Adam.

2) Adam's running special makes Adam completely invincible during the duration of the move.  It also has priority over every other enemy attack unless the enemy has invincibility frames themselves (for example, against Abadede and his "charge punch", Adam won't do any damage to Abadede but won't take any either, instead just go through him).  This is a nice move to use against Jet's when they are flying towards you, as you will knock them out of the air and do massive damage (provided you can get the timing down), or Bongo's/Big Ben's when they are using the fire attack.  Though I don't recommend it, Adam's running special can also allow him to pass through Mr. X's bullet's and nail him with a devastating punch.

Hope this helps.

Edit: And I've just downloaded version 5.0a and realized that the infinite jab glitch no longer works. However, so far Adam still seems to be invincible during his running special. I'll test more...

geminisoldier
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Don Vecta Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 pm

geminisoldier wrote:

2) Adam's running special makes Adam completely invincible during the duration of the move.  It also has priority over every other enemy attack unless the enemy has invincibility frames themselves (for example, against Abadede and his "charge punch", Adam won't do any damage to Abadede but won't take any either, instead just go through him).  This is a nice move to use against Jet's when they are flying towards you, as you will knock them out of the air and do massive damage (provided you can get the timing down), or Bongo's/Big Ben's when they are using the fire attack.  Though I don't recommend it, Adam's running special can also allow him to pass through Mr. X's bullet's and nail him with a devastating punch.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums.

Actually, one of my biggest pleasures to do the running special is to the suits before they shoot. They're just aligned for a suckersmack right between their Rayban's. This is also awesome against both types of Electras before they unleash their electro-whip.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

Post  geminisoldier Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 pm

And I've just beaten Mania with Adam without using a continue.  Had 7 lives left...

Yeah, Adam's running special (A.K.A the riot stopper) is definitely one of the moves you want to get used to.  The invincibility frames and priority are what make this such an A+ move.  Not even the Muay Thai guys can block against it (they block the first hit but get hit by the second one).  And against the king of priority Abadede, Adam's running special has priority on every single move that Abadede can use on you (I found myself chuckling when Adam countered Abadede's splash attack).  The only weakness is the short range (compared to similar specials such as Axel 2's running special or Max's forward special) and speed (some of the smarter enemies will back away from it if they see it coming). Otherwise, if you have meter and an opportunity to use it, go for it.

In version 5.0 I found Adam's knife special to be just as useful as his bat/pipe special.  However in 5.0a, the knife special is nearly useless, as I find myself getting hit more then it connects.  For the record, using it on a Donovan results in an uppercut to your face.

And maybe it was a slight glitch when I played, but whenever I fought Barbon (including later variants) and used Adam's Blitz-2, Barbon would use his invincible priority spinning kick, but it would go right through Adam's Dash punch before Adam finishes with the uppercut.  But then again, I would always use this as Barbon was getting up from the ground.  Have to test some more...

geminisoldier
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:13 am

Loving the technicality of the discussion here, by the way. Adam's playstyle is best summed up as "one man army". For fun, sleazy playthroughs, I've been enjoying SoR1 weapon settings. Going toe-to-toe with throngs of thugs carrying weapons (Brutal Justice/Gangs of Fury stylo ftw). Yeah, you can be Shiva or Axel and break the game by abusing the invincible sword specials this way, but... for a fair-fun-freaking-tastic-fist-fight: pick Adam. Remake pause delay really does him good.
WillyTheSquid
WillyTheSquid
Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadow Fist King Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Well, what new can I say about Adam that I didn't already say on the other site...well, just to basically say that I can best utilize him when he's wielding the pipe, the bat or the wooden plank. His blitz attack with those weapons is very quick, plus he has good reaction time generally, and all in all he's got a good balance of strength and speed, and great attacking reach. I can't really say I care much for his blitz attack with the knife, though; although it does good damage, the angle at which he swings the knife is, to me, a little clumsy.
Shadow Fist King
Shadow Fist King
Signal

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyTheSquid Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Did some more testing... turns out there's more to whether a kick knocks enemies down or has them fly into each other after the uppercut. Thought it depended on using the Y-button or not, but I was wrong.

Here's how it works. Enemies really close to you will be launched a little bit, while enemies at the maximum range of your uppercut will be launched much higher into the air. Only those can be kicked away into other enemies.

Additionally, as far as I can tell, it's impossible to uppercut SoR3 fatguys into the air with Adam.

Donovan

Back to top Go down

Post  bareknuckleroo Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:10 pm

34. Adam character tweak : Increased speed of uppercut move (easier to hit enemies and avoid combo-breakers from bosses).
Anyone else notice he got an upgrade from 5.0 to 5.0a? I'm liking this - the slight speed buff to his standing combo's uppercut helps offset his naturally low movement speed. He's already a great character, but this really helps out at higher difficulties when you're using his insane punch reach to quickly take down mobs.

His knife blitz's attack angle does feel a bit awkward though, he's supposed to be better with pipes and such anyways so I suppose it's not a huge deal (he's got great poke reach, and the damage isn't bad if you hit with it).
bareknuckleroo
bareknuckleroo
Nora

https://www.youtube.com/bareknuckleroo

Back to top Go down

Post  dhoppler Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 am

I'm really bummed out that his default blitz attack no longer has start up invincibility. It gets stuffed so easily now.
dhoppler
dhoppler
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockmanxx Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:04 pm

IMO Adam is what Axel should have been, he was removed from SOR2 because he was too much like Axel except a little bit stronger and he just looks cooler and has quicker Comobs to knock back enemies whereas with that acid washed jeans axel looks like a college flunklee and Adam looks like a badass SWAT guy without a helmet&vest.

I also love how there's like 3 different versions of Adam in SoRR with his V5 one being the best , Axel has always been this "average" guy and i never pick as the average ones they are Jack of all trades but master of none, all Axel has going for him is his broken Grand uppers and that million punch thing, though i must say Adam's little brother sure sucks and isn't following his brother properly.
Rockmanxx
Rockmanxx
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceferno Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Adam was always my favourite. Kicks ass and looks cool doing it.

When I was working on my alternate soundtrack and some of the footage trailers, I attributed him and the other characters to certain genres I composed. Adam was the 90s Deep House guy. Playing through those night levels with skyscrapers in the background (or the river skyline like SoR1 Round 4 has) really helped inspire me.

I always thought it was a bit lame how they wrote him into being kidnapped in #2. And playing as his kid brother could be seen as an insult. lol What's worse is that you save him, only for him to be left out of #3 almost completely (he didn't have to be playable, but only shows up in the last 2 levels).

I was really getting into the Adam's Story mod until there was that plank in Stage 4(?) that my character kept bugging on, possibly because I have v5.0a instead of 5.1, which I can't find downloads for.

Big-Ben

https://iceferno.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down