SorR Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Utility mod] Stage 00 - Progress Recovery Room

4 posters

Go down

[Utility mod] Stage 00 - Progress Recovery Room Empty [Utility mod] Stage 00 - Progress Recovery Room

Post  DarkThief Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:48 pm

As we all know, there aren't any savestates for user mods...so every time a mod bugs out or you can't finish it before you have to go out etc. you lose all your progress and have to restart the mod with 5 lives, no points, no stars etc. by using SORMaker's test mode.

A couple of days ago I came up with the idea of making a utility mod that allows you to restore all of your game progress (points, lives, stars etc.) before restarting the mod from the scene you left it at, and I've just finished making/testing it.

It is a bit fiddly to use and takes a little time to restore your game progress, but given the game's limitations (some of which I discovered as I went along) I'm quite happy with the result.

Precise instructions are in the .rar, but the general idea is you add a new scene to the mod (by copying fpg/smk files into it's folder), loading it up in SORMaker, restoring your stats (by collecting items and killing yourself if needed) and then rejoining the game at the scene you left it at.

So here it is...my first (and probably my only) foray into SoRR modding Razz

https://www.sendspace.com/file/l56l2i

edit: re-uploaded with new link

Last edited by DarkThief on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
DarkThief
DarkThief
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

[Utility mod] Stage 00 - Progress Recovery Room Empty Re: [Utility mod] Stage 00 - Progress Recovery Room

Post  Don Vecta Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:33 am

Wow~! Interesting. Let's give it a try.

EDIT: Well, it works. It's a very handy mod to recover progress or to test scenarios with limited lives or energy. Unfortunately I might not recover continues if you want certain palette.

Of course also can be used as a cheat room too, lol.

Withering Surface Entertainment presents: H.U.N.T.E.R. with its DLC Stories: Subway Mayhem & A Cold Quest for Peace. Adam's Story (main designer), Rushing Beat Remake, Final Fight CD Mini-mod(e), Double Dragon II The Revenge Megamix.
Don Vecta
Don Vecta

Back to top Go down

[Utility mod] Stage 00 - Progress Recovery Room Empty Re: [Utility mod] Stage 00 - Progress Recovery Room

Post  DarkThief Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeah, continues can't be recovered but given there's an extra one since 5.0a, I'd imagine the chances of it affecting the playthrough are very low (and even if it did, you could always restore again after losing the first continue back in-game).

It will recover everything else though, regardless of what mod/stage/scene it is. I even tested it on mods that already had 16 scenes in a stage, and the original scene 16 was perfectly playable afterwards. (although it did mean I couldn't use a pit in the recovery room, as it caused issues)

Of course also can be used as a cheat room too, lol.

It could, but it's a bit too clunky (given the setup/restore time) to be abused like the default game's savestates.
DarkThief
DarkThief
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Charco Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 pm

A very novel idea, good work!

Fecha : 17 – 3 – 03
*/

Primera linea de código escrita .. GO! GO! GO!
Charco
Charco
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MCJeffsy Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:30 pm

EDIT: THE LINK IS DEAD?!

A great idea!

It would be cool if someone put together a video showing how this works!

Do I presume you can build up your score etc, then walk along and enter a door to the stage you want to begin from?

A separate note, I wish screens of rage worked for mods!

MCJeffsy
Galsia

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkThief Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Link is fixed, re-uploaded just now.

Do I presume you can build up your score etc, then walk along and enter a door to the stage you want to begin from?

Yes, you build your score back up (by repeatedly going through the left door to respawn the items) before going through the right door to resume playing.  However, you have to manually set the stage/scene you want to play from before you start this, by copying/renaming files etc. (read the text file in the rar for precise instructions)
DarkThief
DarkThief
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkThief Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:30 am

As we know, 5.1 made this mod obsolete...but on my journey through the completed mods index I have found myself using it for a specific purpose - namely for playing alternative routes in mods that I don't intend to replay in full. (eg. mods with a route split on only 1 stage that rejoins the main route after)

So because of that (and a discovery which makes running it easier), I decided to update it and re-upload here.
DarkThief
DarkThief
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down